Was Noah a prophet?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (28 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Religulousposted 13 years ago

Is he classified as such? Perhaps if he isn't he should be?

1. profile image0
      Whikatposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol ROFLMAO. lol Please do stop with the funny questions. I am laughing too hard with all these funny questions tonight. lol

Good night

2. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The evidence is concrete, Noah's ark did in fact exist. They moved it to the state of Washington and made a burger joint out of it. I testify that their burgers are delicious.
      http://www.noahsark-restaurant.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/2-150x150.jpg

3. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is considered by some Hebrew historians, that Noah was a minor prophet, having foretold the coming of the end of the age, regarding Adam and the Race of Sin. But, more so, it is believed he was an obedient servant, having no previous reference manual (Torah, Bible) to look into for help. It is also believed that since he was the Grandson of Enoch, he was very close to the level of faith believers are to have today. It is not clear if his words were prophetic completely, but they are looked at often as such, because of the time line. Noah lived to be 950 years old. From Adam to Noah: 10 generation; From Noah to Abram 10 generations.
      The key, they say is Methusela (meaning When he is dead it shall be sent). It meaning the Flood? Oddly it is the same year he died that the Flood occurred.)

In addition, many Hasidism (Hasidic Judaism) claim Noah as the prophet and keeper of the laws, long before Moses was born. The laws of Noah are said to mirror the laws of Grace.

James.

4. profile image0
      Errol Kaneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Religulous, you asked a question about Noah and I want you to have the true answer to that question. All that it would take for you, is to read the scriptures that I will give, to get a better understanding of what you are reading because, I intend to Create a Hub about 'Prophets.' Why? Because of your question.

5. IntimatEvolution profile image70
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Noah, a prophet?  No. His purpose, according to the story of his his life, is one of dedication and worship.  The tale of Noah contains no prophecy.  In the first place, as an ardent Christian and amateur biblical historian, I must say that I'm not too for sure if the story is based on facts, or just a biblical fable or myth.

2. Joy56 profile image68
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

is this a serious question?  He was not a prophet, he was an obedient slave i presume, thank goodness he built that ark or we would not be here debating him????

3. Paul Wingert profile image59
    Paul Wingertposted 13 years ago

Noah and the flood story is just that - a story. The Biblical count is based on an ancient Sumeritain flash flood that set a merchant, his family and cargo adrift for a couple days on their barge down the Tigress River. A couple of exiled Jews caught onto the story and they rewrote it where it came the commmon story we know today. Every culture around the world who lives on a body of water has a flood story. Reading the story in Genesis gives clues to the ancient Eqyptian belief that the "world" was flat and was an island that sat on a body of water and the sky was a great canopy supported by a series of mountains that surrounded the area.

1. aka-dj profile image65
      aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What is your reputable source for this highly specific detailed rebuttal?

1. Paul Wingert profile image59
        Paul Wingertposted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://www.aarweb.org/syllabus/syllabi/ … cosmos.htm is one source of the ancient belief how the heavens and earth was to be. Asa for the Sumeritain "Noah" version there's several sites that talk about this, http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/13495.htm and http://charleswardle.com/bbc-noahs-ark-the-real-story/ are a couple. The idea a building a ship over two third the size of the Titanic out of wood is beyond impossible I don't care what type of wood used. The story of Noah and the flood is a "nice story".

2. Rafini profile image80
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If the ancient Egyptians believed the world was flat, then why didn't the story of the flood end with all the water falling off the edge of the earth?  What was holding all the water onto the surface of the earth?

1. earnestshub profile image78
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The mountains that surrounded the area perhaps?

2. Jerami profile image60
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The four corners of the earth was referring to the outer boundaries Israel,
        Outside of Israel was referenced as the wilderness.

For this reason some people want to say that the bible says that the earth is flat.

Poor translation is to blame for this misconception.

1. Rafini profile image80
          Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh, interesting!

my question somehow was inspired by the discovery of the world as round...lol...it's a question I've always had, but just couldn't find the right people to answer it!

1. Jerami profile image60

I'm not sure how common that belief about a flat earth actually was.I have heard some people say that the bible says that it was flat cause the bible says that the earth is not only flat but square. Four angels stood on the four corners.

Cyrus said that he had dominion over the kingdoms of the whole earth.  The word earth was translated from had to have meant something other than the planet earth.

Maybe the
            catholic church had something to do with the flat earth concept.

But the vikings knew better  LOL

4. Rajab Nsubuga profile image61
    Rajab Nsubugaposted 13 years ago

He was a Rocker!

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No,

Rock N Roll started when Dave threw a rock and roll the Giant

5. hanging out profile image61
    hanging outposted 13 years ago

God asked noah to build an ark in the approximate middle of a desert where there had never been rain before.
    for the 120 yrs Noah built the ark, he preached about the judgment of God, the wickedness of the people and the end of the world.
    was he a prophet?
    no
    He was an Evangelical preacher.

6. profile image0
    linsm76posted 13 years ago

Noah and his family were saved because he was obedient.  Again, this is not a made up story.  Ararat is mountain where THE ARK HAS BEEN FOUND.

7. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Was Noah a prophet?

Better question is - Was Noah a real person? lol

It would be nice if the story could be verified, before one decides whether or not the "Man" was a prophet. lol

8. earnestshub profile image78
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Nah!
    Noah was just another bronze aged bloke that couldn't count or see the rest of the world over the horizon. smile

9. Paul Wingert profile image59
    Paul Wingertposted 13 years ago

Obviously to take this story literally is totally ridiculous. This and the rest of the stories in the Bible are metaphors. The story was written to tell the Jews that crossing God had its consequences. Maybe another was to way to look at this story is to tell the reader to choose your mate wisely - something I should of done.

1. hanging out profile image61
      hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

its not about you mate lol

2. Jerami profile image60

kinda correct.

I remember when My children were young.
      I remember telling them to sit down and don't get up!

I also remember telling one of them "get out of that chair and help me!

I remember saying,  don't come in the house till the lawn is mowed,

I also remember saying to shut that mower down and come inside.

don't get up
         Get up
         Don't stop
         Stop it.

You would say that I was psychotic  if these were taken out of the time sequence that it actually happened in.

1. hanging out profile image61
        hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hehe
        nice comparison
        of course we all know blown steam when we hear it.
        after all these years it has to know better, but, is lying, because the truth is to hard to bear.
        sad really.
        hi jerami

10. inversicolor profile image61
    inversicolorposted 13 years ago

This was a question about Noah's classification.
    This was not a question about whether or not a materialist view of the world is the only logically valid one, or why one's one view of everything is much more superior than everyone else's.
    This forum has too many trolls - back under your bridges!

11. profile image0
    Errol Kaneposted 13 years ago

Mr Wingert,
    Whether you believe in the story or not, the question was 'Was Noah A Prophet? You still did not answer the question

1. Paul Wingert profile image59
      Paul Wingertposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Excuse me, my fault. I gave my reason instead of answering the question first. My answer is no.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)