Religious extremists - subjective?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (29 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Baileybearposted 13 years ago

ALL religions have their extremists, that hopefully, most of society identify as being violent nutters.

But when does "harmless" religion move along the continuum and become dangerous extremism?  When people get killed? 

One person's terrorist is another person's hero.

Surely religious extremism originates from beliefs about what their superbeing requires?  What about extremists that don't kill but abuse (like the ones I've written about with my experiences of christianity). 

Is pscyhological abuse just as damaging?

1. aka-dj profile image65
      aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think this kind of extremism you talk about can easily come about when people stray from the truth of the Word of God. (Jim Jones stands head and shoulders above the rest, in my mind here).

But as for psychological abuse, that's not limited to religion. Kids cop that at home. Wives cop it from husbands. Employees from bosses, etc.

There needs to be a bit more vigilance by individuals. Look out for themselves, etc.

I too could have fallen into the trap of following blindly, what the pastor said, taught, or what the denomination agreed with. At the end of the day, I walked away, because I knew it to be wrong. (at least for me). Others can, and should do the same.

No-one is compelled/forced to believe anything in Christianity.

The original martyrs gave up their lives for what they believed to be right.
      (NOT like the so called martyrs of radical Islam, where they kill indiscriminantly. They simply refused to recant or compromise.)

Maybe we should learn a lesson from them.

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

with Jim Jones - I imagine he would have been a very charasmatic person and attracted people to him.  Then isolating people from the outside world was the next step.  So he had trust, then abused it.  Just like in other forms of abuse.

Agree extremism isn't just religion - but religion sticks out because people are willing to die on behalf of their invisible entity.  Many people of faith seem like very reasonable, balanced people. 

So maybe extremism is more about holding an extreme worldview, and being unwilling/unable to see any other points of view?

2. Beelzedad profile image58
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That isn't extremism? LOL!

The lesson is quite clear, something along the lines of throwing rocks and living in glass houses. smile

3. getitrite profile image71
        getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

However, that was not always the case.

2. profile image0

here's some "christian" religious extremists

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-most … n-america/

1. stilljustwonderin profile image60
        stilljustwonderinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, these people are attacking others verbally when they are most vernerable.  I would call them a "religious" extremest, not Christian.  They are just as guilty of sin as the people they are pointing the finger at.  They could be numbered with the scribes and pharrasses of Jesus day. They are a good example as to why we are to study the Bible on our own and not just follow what the preacher or congregation says.
        If I attended that church it would just be one time.  Then I would get as far away from them as possible.

1. Beelzedad profile image58

Kinda like fabricating stories to support a belief system? smile

I don't know any one who fabricates stories.

Just look in the mirror. smile

I have heard children say that.  big_smile

If you can't recognize the truth......................theres nothing I can do about that.

If only you could recognize reality, you might have something to say. smile

2. profile image0
                  brotheryochananposted 13 years agoin reply to this

absolutely right.. and the mission is to NEVER see the truth even if they have to sound like children. They don't care.. so long as the guilt they feel keeps repressed and they never have to admit they are wrong. This is purpose behind bashing their non belief more than we bash our belief.

i can be emailed smile

The Bible tells us we will be mocked and ridiculed.  Some day they will see the truth.  How will they feel then?

2. Druid Dude profile image58
            Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Fabricating stories....hmmmm. When one believes an opposing concept which can be placed squarely in the same category as the concept which they argue against, isn't that definitive of a dog chasing it's own tail? Dogma: Defined as: Same as BS, but with a D. Beel's dogma, religious dogma. same thing. Oh that your eyes were truly opened. Then you would see that the rocks which you peg at others, are really being thrown at your own reflection.

You mean, religious fantasy as opposed to stark reality? If you say so...

Oh yes, I can see how rocks will go right through an invisible super being but will bounce back from reality. LOL! smile

3. Druid Dude profile image58
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It makes me nervous, in this day and age, when what we really need is extremism of the Ghandhi type. All I hear from all sides concerned, is violence and mayhem. The Great Soul was correct, when he said "An eye for an eye, and a tooth, for a tooth, will only serve to make the whole world blind and toothless." The concepts of Coup D'etat. Peaceful revolution. Peace.

4. pennyofheaven profile image79
      pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Any abuse is damaging. It takes a discerning mind to stay away from extremes.

2. insearchof truth profile image84
    insearchof truthposted 13 years ago

I agree aka, good on you for following your own path.  Others are not so lucky though and fall into abuse.

If you define religion as following a set of rules or idealisms in order to reach a higher connection with a lifeforce or particular deity, then it becomes dangerous at it's core.  The danger is that it is man made. 

I don't think it is subjective, as the person who might be following a religious course might have feelings of meeting a higher calling and contentment in satisfying the qualifications for holiness.

Psycological abuse is worse.  Hit me, kick me shoot me even, but don't twist up my head.

Baileybear,I too have encountered spiritual abuse within the confounds of Christianity.

1. profile image0

I see on your profile you love Jesus.  Your spiritual abuse didn't put you off like it did with me?

1. insearchof truth profile image84
        insearchof truthposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It put me off all right.  It put me off churches and religion,  but then I met Jesus. Made plenty of mistakes since this, and had Christians hurt me many times but my love for Him won't change. This poem might help.

1. getitrite profile image71

If the bible is being misinterpreted by the church, what makes you think that YOU are the one who absolutely got it right?

1. insearchof truth profile image84
            insearchof truthposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Anyone who thinks they have it absolutely right is probably wrong. I am sorry if you got that impression.

1. profile image0

I agree with you there

2. pennyofheaven profile image79
          pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Awesome poem! Thanks

3. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 13 years ago

I was just reminded of the scripture that says " the son's of God shall be led by the SPRIT of God".

People forget that, (or don't know that) and allow themselves to be led by (mere)men.

Paul said "be ye followers of me EVEN AS I AM a follower of Christ". That suggests we follow other so far as they follow Christ. Once they leave the "straight & narrow" path, we are no longer obliged to do the same.

Q. Do you know the "way" of the straight & narrow? If not, you better find it, so you won't be led astray. No matter what the leader's name, fame or title is. I believe that's called RELIGION. (IE following rules, laws and expectations of men!!)

4. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

get it right said...
    If the bible is being misinterpreted by the church, what makes you think that YOU are the one who absolutely got it right?

- - - - - - - -

For one thing! If there are a hundard counterfitts of somenthing!  That means that that there IS   SOMETHING to be counterfitted.    @ Get it right,   think about it before ya respond!   OK?  ..    Do yourself a favor?

1. getitrite profile image71

This logic is absurd.  You are the one saying that there is SOMETHING to be counterfeited, only because of wishful thinking.  There is nothing to be counterfeited in the first place--Because the bible is BS. I stand by my statement.

Now go do yourself a favor, and THINK, period!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)