Insanity what is it.

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (58 posts)
  1. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Just  thinking out loud again   and  in the spur of the moment, giving this little if any forethought.
    Hope you don't think that I am insane.

Allow me to play Webster.  You can play too.

I propose that insanity is the inability to hold our focus upon a single concept of reality regardless of which concept that that might be. ???
      There may be a number of variations of our concept, and that concept is subject to change from time to time, yet most of us attempt to hold tightly to a single concept.

Out pitiful little brains are incapable of holding onto two concepts simultaneously without getting stuck out in the middle ground between the two.

So it would seem that being closed minded to some degree is a requirement for being considered to be SANE by our peers.

So, in reality; is it a good thing to be considered SANE by our peers?

1. profile image0
      just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think close mindedness contributes more to insanity.  People who refuse to consider another person's view seem to be much more tightly wound and capable of insane violence. You're right, you cant 'hold' onto more than one but if you aren't constantly revising, then you're stagnating. You've got to be constantly juggling what you know, what you knew and what you hope to learn

1. Julie2 profile image61
        Julie2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are right just_curious, not trying to be openminded can drive a person mad. Some people tend to believe that everything and everyone else is wrong, that everyone is out to get them and thats when they snap.

2. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am so sorry.  When I read this post earlier I misread the comment and was giving what I thought you said some more thought.

Then I saw,  that was exactly my point.

And I think, can lead to deeper thought?

1. profile image0
          just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes. Deeper thought. Or not. But it keeps your mind moving in more than one direction.  I think Julie put it well in that close mindedness probably contributes more to personality disorders.

2. kess profile image61
      kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Insanity is when the thoughts of a person are in total disharmony-
      each striving to have the pre-eminence with the individual.

Therefore to others it would be difficult to know the persons actions or reaction.

This is also the way of death...

Crazy people seldom think that they are,

1. kess profile image61
          kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And it the same with the dead.....

Light and dark stood in a conversation...

Darkness ask Light a question...
          Light answered the question then asked Darkness the same question...

Darkness gave the same answered as Light...

Light corrected Him and told him the Truth.

Dark turns to light in laughter.. what a foolish and ignorant thing to say you must be a fool.

What was the question....?

3. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it might be fun to pretend to redefine words to suit our purposes, Jerami. However, if we did that and we weren't pretending, no one would be able to communicate effectively. smile

4. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Insanity: The Obama economic policy... doing the same action over and over and expecting a different result.

5. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

In the film, "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps", Shia LeBuouf says:  "The definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing over and over again, and expecting different results each time."

6. SingleCityGirl profile image59
      SingleCityGirlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The definition of insanity is continuing to make the same mistake over and over again and expecting a different result each time.

Also ...  Making the same mistakes and using different excused each time.

I like excuses.  The air is full of them.
        Reach out and grab one whenever needed.
           We can always find a good excuse for doing just about any thing that we want to do  or  one for not doing anything that we don't want to do.   Excuses are EVERY WHERE.

2. Jerami profile image58

P.S.    suggesting I look in mirror is an unacceptable answer to the question, what is it?    Might be true ?  definately too rude.

3. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years ago

Insanity is responding to people and situations in a way that is completely illogical and inappropriate.

I really do gotta go away for a little while but wanted to seem as if I were ignoreing this post.

Does what we consider an apropriate and logical responce depend upon the concept that we aspire to follow?

1. profile image0
        Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not at all.

If someone says to  you, "If you say to someone, "What is two plus two?", and they respond by saying, "I'm going to kill you." That is insane. The response is completely off the wall.

Of course, a person has to continually do that kind of thing in all kinds of situations to be classified insane.

`Well, I think that under those circumstances, it would only take once for me to think them crazy.

But, let me ask Ya something.  If ten crazy people all agreed that they weren't crazy, does that make it true.

If fifty crazy people all agree that they are not does that make it true.

If five hundred crazy people all agree that they are not, does that make it true.

Etc.  Etc. Etc.

Who gets to decide what is crazzy ?   And Why Them ?

1. profile image0
            Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Those questions assume that people all assess situations subjectively and if people assume things subjectively, then obviously, then can think they aren't crazy, when actually they are.
            However, some people are more objective than others, and there are standards that can be agreed upon that stand up to reality.

A crazy person's world does not fit well into reality...

What is the point of these questions?

Surely, you have the intelligence to think them through?

If the majority were crazy, and they established the norm, how would anyone know?

As is said to be the case1000 years ago when (It is reported) that the majority thought the world was flat.

Majority rules,  those that didn't agree were said to be crazy.

So,  how do ya know?

4. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Jerami, has some nasty atheist said something awful about your religious fantasies again?  Is that why you are asking or is something else troubling you?

I disagree with your basic premise.  Your mind can hold conflicting concepts. Your error is in thinking that your mind is a unified organ. It is not.

No,  no mean and nasty atheist, religionist or anybody has gotten me upset,  but thanks or asking.

What I was reffering to was the great multitudes of realities that does exist through out this planet alone are just too much for any mind to absorb.

Some things that you personally would consider to be your reality, I might only fantisize about.

And there are millions of ya having this kind of reality.

I'd go crazy trying to accept all of these things as reality fitting into my little concept of reality.

I don't think that anyone can accomplish such a feat.

1. Druid Dude profile image61
        Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Insanity is falling into the darkness within yourself and becoming lost in it.

And when we loose focus we all.

A quick story.
            I had a 2 x 12 piece of lumber laid from one ladder to another as a scaffold.
            My son was walking, I should say he was attempting to walk across it to change a light bulb, approx 16' of the floor.
            I held a fishing pole in my hand reaching up with it so that he could hold onto it. He was fine, kept his balance perfectly and felt totally comfortable doing so.

The tip of that fishing pole gave him something to focus on,
          taking his mind off of the possibility of falling.

We just gotta keep focused on something or we will fall.

2. Druid Dude profile image61

With the true knowledge, all things become known.

Wax on Wax off Druid Dude son...

I like what you wrote. smile

5. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Best definition I have ever heard for insanity:
    Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

I think there are more than one indicator for insanity.

2. Druid Dude profile image61

Sounds like the American people and the government to me Mighty.

3. shynsly profile image60
      shynslyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

See... I've always heard that definition, too. But respectfully, I have to disagree.

Where I come from, we call that "practice", and it's typically used to aquire a new skill.

"Insanity" can have many different definitions depending on whom you ask, but to me, the most rational would be:

-"Insanity": a clear and defined lack of sanity.

Now, as to which trait is good or bad... that, again, is purely subjective.

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
        Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Where is that in the mental illness bible? The books has tripled in size since I was young.

6. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

Crazy is thinking my car can fly. If I think
    there is a heaven, any empirical evidence of which is non-existent, am I crazy?

7. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Drinking Coffee before bed because you want to finish a hub, thats what insanity is.

The majority of people would think so; especialy if ya thought afterwards, you were going to get a couple hours of sleep before going to work.

8. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

I been away a long time and things have changed.
    Seems to me what is insanity is trying to follow
    some logical order to this posting system. Am I missing something? Apparently some replying to one. And some replying to all. Seems a mish-mash
    to me.

YEP.  Insanity knows no boundaries.

And wears many faces.

2. couturepopcafe profile image59
      couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's often the first sign of insanity.

9. Jerami profile image58

??????      I gotta go,,  walking out the door now 
    later.

1. Druid Dude profile image61

Insanity is the opposite of Outsanity. smile

1. Midnight Oil profile image82
        Midnight Oilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

.. and first cousin to insanitary too wink

2. couturepopcafe profile image59

Actually, there's no such thing as IN sanity.  It's all OUT sanity.

10. Jerami profile image58

Insanity is the natural state of Human affairs.

It comes in all colors and sizes.   LOL

No wonder the mental illness bible has tripled in size since I was young.

LMAO! You always know how to put a smile on my face Castlepaloma. lol

11. Jerami profile image58

Insanity is thinking that anyone realy hears us.

1. couturepopcafe profile image59

Insanity is getting sucked into the SANDPIT forums and getting addicted to the silliness.  Insanity is getting into the political and religious forums and thinking you can change somebody's mind.

Yet that is insanity alright.

If it isn't, it soon leads ya there.

I think I need a refill on my meds! lol
          Oh wait, I don't take any....

There are two rules to maintaining sanity.

1st rule    Don't take ourselves serously

2nd rule  reffer to rule # 1

Ding Ding Ding... you've got it Jerami! smile

I think insanity or evil is mainly the absence of reason and purpose.

I think most this mental illness and insanely scam is another way to dumb down and control the masses from the large drug corporations. Or course other large corporations want you just smart enough to run their machines,

In Vancouver the press says 75% of the homeless are mentally ill and in Canada homeless out number our public servants, about 15% of Canadian are said to be mentally ill. I think too many human are just a big bag of nerves, one of the best pills to take, is kind of what Jerami says,

Don't take your self too seriously

1. SingleCityGirl profile image59
                  SingleCityGirlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you in that taking oneself too seriously can produce paranoid results sometimes.  On the contrary this seriousness can become a driving force behind ones successes if they harness it properly. Time and maturity usually decreases a serious personality in my opinion.

One of the best pills anyways,

Yes an adult maturity balance with child like behavior is what DR, Castle would concur also.

12. profile image56
    RedTimbreposted 13 years ago

Insanity is what someone calls something they don't understand.

RedTimbre Welcome to the forum

How do you mean? If I don't understand why there is the concept of Hell,

I'm I insane or are they?

13. Jerami profile image58

I just did a Google search for insanity ...
    and saw my picture.

You looked up crazy,
      Your just enough CRaZy, to keep you from going insane

That would be nice if it's true.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)