does christians obey bible?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (42 posts)
  1. profile image0
    jomineposted 13 years ago

"Judge not, and ye shall not be judged." � Luke 6.37
    but still there are judges..

Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?" 1 Corinthians 11.14.
    is there no man with long hair?

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."Luke 22.36.
    i know no christian with a sword, may be that is why they keep guns!!

And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life." Matthew 19.29
    how many forsake their family?

Ephesians 5:22-24  "Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything
    1 Tim 2:11-12 "Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent."
    ladies and wifes do you hear this?

Matthew 6:19 Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also

Matthew 19:21-24 Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
    all christians are poor??

Colossians, 3.22:
    Slaves, obey in everything those who are your earthly masters, not with eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but in singleness of heart, fearing the Lord. Whatever your task, work heartily...
    we can keep slaves!!!

1. profile image0
      just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh. Heavens me. Christians sin and society has evolved. I hadn't noticed that. Wow. Thanks for the insight.

2. Sharon Storm profile image61
      Sharon Stormposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The word Christian was originally a slur used to describe the followers of Christ...it meant "little Christs".  They were called Christians because they attempted to live by Christ's example.  But they are not Christ...thus they often fail.  It's really not fair to expect humans to compete with the Lord and Savior of the Universe.   Not to mention blasphemy.

1. Woman Of Courage profile image60
        Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Great point.

2. profile image51
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Slur can mean:
        •    Pejorative, any term of disparagement.
        •    Slur (phonology), unclear or abnormal enunciation.
        •    Slur (music), a symbol in Western musical notation indicating that the notes it embraces are to be played legato (smoothly).
        •    Slur, a character in Mega Man Battle Network; see List of Mega Man Battle Network characters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slur

Which one of the above fits on the Christians?

2. KyFarmGrl profile image60
    KyFarmGrlposted 13 years ago

We are suppose to obey it to the fullest, But all of us fall short. In today's society people go with the flow, They have forgot/lost the fear of God.

1. May PL profile image66
      May PLposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree that Christians are to follow the Bible but Christians are humans and therefore fallible. Unfortunately we are not always able to do the right thing.

3. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

I'll attempt to answer your question if that is what you are looking for?

=======================================================================

jomine wrote
    Judge not, and ye shall not be judged." � Luke 6.37
    but still there are judges..
    - - - - 

ME
       God  appointed  judges.  But then the people wanted a King like other nations.  God gave them Saul and then David.
       The kings from that time forward pointed judges to administer hid mandates concerning civil matters
    ===================================================

jomine wrote
    Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?" 1 Corinthians 11.14.
    is there no man with long hair?

- - - - - - - -
       It was the custom for Nazarenes to not cut their hair or drink strong liquor all the days of their lives.
    So this is not an issue concerning faith.
       The people going and coming to the church in Corinth were complaining about being propositioned for sex, They were then told that this could be elevated if the young men would cut their hair and the women covered theirs.
    =========================================================================

jomine wrote
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."Luke 22.36.
    i know no christian with a sword, may be that is why they keep guns!!
    - - = =   - - = =

This is a prime example of Jesus' message pertaining only to those that he was speaking to!
       Jesus said this to those disciples that were being sent out, traveling by foot to every city in Judea. A man wearing a sword while traveling cross country would not pear to be so vulnerable to robbers and might never have to draw it!
       It has always been acceptable to defend your life.
       When our livers are being threatened, turning the other cheek is not required.
    ==========================================================================

jomine wrote
    And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life." Matthew 19.29
    how many forsake their family?

= - =  = -   = - 

What degree of Forsaking  are you talking about?
       I don't think that Jesus was talking about leaving their family members in deir streights.

======================================================================

jomine wrote
    Ephesians 5:22-24  "Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife  as  Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything

= = =  - - -= - =

You stopped one verse too soon !!!
    The next verse says; " Husbands love your wives, Even as Christ loved the church ...  there is another version of this where it says; " and husbands submit  to your wives"   I don't remember where unless it was just another translation of the same verse ??     
    ======================================================================

jomine wrote
    1 Tim 2:11-12 "Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent."
    ladies and wifes do you hear this?

- - - - - -
    Me

I would suspect that there is an explanation for this as there was concerning long hair???

I can imagine a few women causing a disturbance at that particular meeting, trying to hold the floor asking questions that everyone else knew the answers to,  WHO  KNOWS? 
    ===================================================================
    jomine wrote
    Matthew 6:19 Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also

= -  - =  = - - - -

Me
      This is only saying to keep your priorities straight.

========================================================================

jomine wrote
    Matthew 19:21-24 Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
    all christians are poor??

= - = - = -

Me
      Jesus was talking to a self righteous  young rich man who needed a little air let out of his pride. 

=======================================================================
    jomine wrote
    Slaves, obey in everything those who are your earthly masters, not with eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but in singleness of heart, fearing the Lord. Whatever your task, work heartily...
    we can keep slaves!!!

- = - = - = - =

ME
      Believe it or not??, your employer is ONE of your earthly master in the context that this message was given.

1. pennyofheaven profile image80
      pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Another interpretation is also pointing to what we sow we reap. Cause and effect.

Another interpretation is.... do as nature does. What comes naturally. Nature has a way of stripping the trees before winter arrives then it begins to grow back in spring. Meaning there are cycles for everything.

Yes he appeared to preparing his disciples for events leading up to and after his death as he had just predicted the denials from peter and the suffering he was yet to endure.

An interpretation for this verse is pointing to looking inwards to the Christ within. All too often we pay too much attention on the external reality and not acknowledging the internal reality. This is where eternal life exists. Awareness then of our internal guidance therefore enhances our external environment which is temporal.

Whilst this is largely tainted by the perception of the writer it is possibly pointing to the Christ within man and the woman should follow suit in that she too should look within.

Another passage that is tainted by the perception of the writer. Since Adam was deceived by a women, women were perceived as the transgressor. Therefore should not be able to teach.

Another interpretation is the treasures of heaven are not found in temporal things. But eternal things like love, compassion, humility etc.  These are treasures of the heart that cannot be stolen, bought or sold. They are naturally arising and eternal.

Again this seems to be pointing to the distractions of material accumulation which can often stifle the treasures from the heart.  Not everyone who are rich lack the treasures of heaven. Not everyone poor have the treasures of heaven.

To be a good leader you need to be a good follower.  To serve is be a master.

1. profile image0
        Travis_S_Musicposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As well, your interpretations of it are very good, and seem to bring a slightly different way to look at it (:

2. profile image0
        jomineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

so interpret to our liking?
        roll

1. pennyofheaven profile image80
          pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you like. Perception is as unique as the snowflake patterns.

1. profile image0

That is a beautiful way to put it.

2. profile image0
      Travis_S_Musicposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You seem to have answered all the questions right! It's important not to cut pieces short like that, as you pointed out, and I fully agree with each of your answers (:

4. Barbara Kay profile image74
    Barbara Kayposted 13 years ago

Great replies. Christian aren't perfect and do sin at times, but that is why Jesus had to die on the cross, so we could obtain forgiveness.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is that why Christians do not need to follow the bible? The "get out of sin free," card?

What an offensive belief system. sad

1. profile image0

Down boy. Down. Christians  (well hopefully most of them) are well aware of the fact that they are no better than others. perhaps you should preach, since you apparently know the sins so well.

2. profile image0

but that is why Jesus had to die on the cross,
      why, god didn't know any better way?

1. profile image0

Jomine, you know the concept is deeper than that. It is symbolical of the death of the old ways of worship. No more animal sacrifices, no more labyrinths of law. Simply, we have the ability to connect with our God now, one on One, so to speak. It is an attempt to share the secret we are all one with the universe. Jesus just makes it easier to make the connection, but it is still available to everyone, however they choose to make it.

Nonsense. It is symbolic of an internal struggle to let go of ego and become as god by killing off that aspect of yourself that prevents you from doing so. The very second you apply it outside of yourself it becomes a worthless religion which causes confusion and conflict. sad

1. profile image0

I must  have stated poorly, since what you said is what I believe also.

Don't do that too often please. It's just freaky agreeing with you.

Eventually you will work it out. wink 

Time for my therapy session - I am off for a mountain bike ride. big_smile

1. profile image0

lucky you. have fun.

2. profile image0

so jesus died symbolically to create a new symbolic form of worship!!
          so in fact he didn't die though people thought he died..
          to relieve as of the sin done some 42 generations before(i wonder what had happened to the 42 generations of jews and the gentiles(like people who lived in america before the spanish inquisitors) by a man and women who didn't know what was sin nor didn't know what was death.
          in truth jesus never died but made an act of it to save us from him!!
          sad

1. profile image0

I believe you missed my point. I think purposely. Not inclined to argue if that is simply what you seek. Have fun badgering the other posters. I do get that. Done it myself a few times.

1. profile image0

just curious i am  yet to hear a rational argument from any believer. i am here for many reasons
              1. i want to be sure of myself-that i am not missing anything when i say there is no god (for the last ten years i stopped believing in any deity for the god cannot be explained rationally). you know the whole world (at least a majority are theists(though they attack each other as vehemently as they attack an atheist- in fact the only time they join forces is to attack an atheist) and i want to consider all points.
              2. i am fed of people asking me to believe in their particular nonsense without being to explain why i should do so(your own belief is full of holes, if you care, in fact if two theist discuss there beliefs they will point out all the foolishness of the other though they will never be seeing there on foolishness )
              3. i am amusing myself by hearing all the theists arguments

1. profile image0

All valid reasons for the silliness. As far as anyone proving, or disproving God; you're not going to find that here.

1. profile image0

i didn't ask for proof. all i asked is a rational explanation for the existence of god!!roll

1. profile image0

K. but it depends on your mindset. They're both compelling arguments. As you stated, you are already leaning in one direction. You are predisposed to agree with that one. Have fun.

2. DoubleScorpion profile image77
                DoubleScorpionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree that in general, people spend so much time finding what is "wrong"(different) with each others beliefs that they have completely missed the simularities. All to often we get caught up in the "debate" and forget that we are all the same, but in our own unique individualized way. There is no absolute proofs of anything that is of a spiritual nature. The only proof that you will get is of a personal nature. Using the bible as a guide (if used correctly, instead of guessing what is meant) can be useful to some. As well as the various other sacred text that are out there. When we start imposing our personal understand of the bible or other sacred text onto others is where we start running into problems. The truth of the matter is...people are lazy...that is why it is so easy to blindly lead so many people into believing certain religious teachings. People as a whole would rather be told what something mean rather than take the time to actually read and understand what something means. I hear on a daily basis from those who call themselves "Believers" who say "the bible is the word of god and you must believe everything it says.", but when asked certain pointed questions, the response is "Well what the author meant was...."

There is a couple ways to read literature. You got the literal meanings, you got the implied meanings, you have the figurative meanings, and you have coded meaning. (others as well, before someone says I missed something. just using these as example for this post)

Here is where we run into problems...the author wrote in the literal sense... One reader takes the message as figurative, the next takes the implied message, another reads it literal and of course the last sees the imbedded code meanings. Since the author is not available to say how is message was to be interpreted nor did they leave a text key, all readers are correct in thier understandings of the text.

As with most authors, even those writing historical documents, they tend to add their own "opinions/bias" into the writings. This is not done on purpose per se, but it happens. For Example, if the 4 gospels of the new testement was written as purely an unbiased historical account, they would read word for word identical. They are however written simular, but have some serious authored variances. As with any witness statement...you take all the statements...find what is the same...and then you get the best "truth" you can get...and the other details help to fill in some of the blank areas to get you a fuzzy picture of what really happened. The problem with Eyewitnesses is the Human factor...Optical Illusions or seeing only what we what to see, only hearing what we what to hear, mass hysteria. If you think I am making this up.. do a search for optical illusion pictures...you will find pictures that appear to be moving but aren't...Think about how much do you really listen to your wife, husband, significate other. Example...Driving on a road trip to the inlawss... Wife asks, " Are you hungry"...Husband hears " Are you hungry" and answers "No" and continues to drive... What wife really meant was " I am hungry, stop at the next exit". Now Wife is mad and Husband is confused, all because what was said and heard was not what was actually meant.

So after this long post..to answer the question of the OP...Yes Christians obey the bible in the sense of their understanding of it. Understanding the bible is a whole other thread..LOL

3. Beelzedad profile image60
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So, according to your god, the only way he can teach something or show something is to have someone tortured and crucified, in order to get his point across.

This is how he teaches his followers? What do they learn from his teaching methods? smile

5. yankeeintexas profile image61
    yankeeintexasposted 13 years ago

I agree with Barbara! Christians do sin just like everybody else! The problem is many Christians use God's grace as a "Get Out of Jail Free" card!
    Hebrews 10:26,27 says "26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries."
    We think that we can willfully sin, and be forgiven for it, but, God says something different!

6. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 13 years ago

"does christians obey bible?"

Do People Obey The Laws?

7. johnnypenn profile image61
    johnnypennposted 13 years ago

Firstly,
    I suspect that someone didn't actually read, but picked verses that would - out of context - rove their point.

And Secondly,
    God will forgive everyone their sins. That's why we no longer sacrifice animals. The Ultimate Sacrifice was given at the Cross.

And, I do try to obey the Rules God set in the Bible.
    If I do something wrong, I will take the consequences for my actions and own up to them. That's being resoncible.

1. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bible does not consist of Word revealed on Jesus by the Creator-God Allah YHWH; it is not even the word written by Jesus himself or dictated by Jesus or authorised by Jesus.
      The sinful scribes wrote Bible unauthorized; they were not evern eye-witnesses of the events they wrote. They fled away from the scene of the Cross leaving thier master to suffer alone in distress.
      Jesus hardly set any rules mentioned in Bible; they are set by Paul and the Church; having nothing to do with Jesus or his teachings.

8. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Jesus hardly set any rules that mentioned in Bible; they are set by sinful Paul and the sinful Church; having nothing to do with Jesus or his teachings.

Christians need to reform themselves and revert to the role model of Jesus, in deeds as well as in beliefs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)