Religion preaches love, but is the source of major world conflict.

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (34 posts)
  1. PK2010 profile image67
    PK2010posted 13 years ago

Religion preaches love, peace and unity, but provokes hatred, war and disunity. Would the world be a better place without religion?

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes.

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image58
      Jesus was a hippyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely. I think it would be a better place without question. Ir wouldnt be perfect of course, but it would definately be a better place.

3. Beelzedad profile image60
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Such sage perception based on astute observation should at the very least be given a try to see if it is sound judgment.

I'm with you on that one and would support it. smile

4. stanwshura profile image71
      stanwshuraposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm thinking that what is the commonality among *ALL* religions, is the preaching of, above all else, *OBEDIENCE*.

This inevitably leads to either warring for, or a snobbish and falsely pious claim of authority.  Everybody keep his place.  Respect the heirarchy.

To the highest heavens, I roar "damn straight!" and "HELL, yes!" - the world would be an exponentially better place without religion.

In fact, I think it would be...ahem...*HEAVENLY*. smile

5. pennyofheaven profile image79
      pennyofheavenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

People do not often practice what they preach. Knowing and not doing is not knowing.

2. LeeWalls profile image60
    LeeWallsposted 13 years ago

No religion and no anarchy; is that a good recipe for world peace?

3. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

Where religion is dualistic (us & them) which could be its definition, the world would be better without, especially since it often does not recognize the physical natural world as legitimate.

4. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

When I finally confronted the religious beliefs I was raised with, and lived with, raising my own family, I started my journey back to sanity. I am better off without religion. I think all people would be also, but each much choose. It's an individual journey.

5. knolyourself profile image61

I've met a lot of people who as ex
    drug addicts and psychological disorders
    rely on religion for their now happy existence. Though even as a Pagan I wouldn't take it away from them.

6. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

Everyone talks about getting rid of religion. I've always been curious how anyone thinks it could possibly happen. It seems like a bit of a pipe dream. What are there? Probably 4 billion people, at the least, that associate with one of the three monotheistic religions. Another one or two billion that are attached to some other type of religion. I tend to think this is a defeatist attitude. There have to be problems that could actually be tackled.

Tilting at windmills. Chasing  the roadrunner. Whatever you want to call it; it's impossible.

1. Beelzedad profile image60
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are specific problems to be tackled, and although implementation of solutions is key, they're extremely difficult to deploy considering the time frames involved and as you say, there are billions of people who are indoctrinated into those religion.

It may seem like a pipe dream, but we will never progress as humans until the problems of religions can be solved, so we must endeavor to keep trying to change the world to one that serves mankind rather than megalomania gods.

Many of the major problems of the world can be blamed on religions, directly or indirectly, as they have pervaded every single aspect of our societies and have ruled our mindsets and decision making processes for thousands of years.

How can we function as a sentient species with the capacity to do great things and raise us up off of our penitent knees to stand tall when we are told we are sinful creatures no better than the crud one would scrape off their boots, that our only purpose is to be subservient and obedient to entities we cannot see or hear?

Religions despise mankind, they despise our capacity to achieve and remove our ability to think, they despise our compassion and replace it with righteousness to spread like a virus.

Religions talk about omnipotent gods that can create universes and worlds, prophets who walk on water and rise from the dead, they talk about demons and angels swirling around us in constant battle for our souls.

What's impossible, then? smile

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, as usual, you make it all sound quite horrid.

Sure, it would be easier to get rid of religion, then conjure up a god; but I can't imagine either happening. I envy you, if you can envision a world where we can all put it all behind us. smile

7. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

All that is needed to get rid of all religion permanently is education.

In other words, we will never get rid of religion, as most of the religiously inclined are as ignorant as bat droppings, living poor and have little chance of a real life.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's sooooo tempting to respond to this in like manner, but will refrain.  I'm just bumping this to give you another chance to view what you just said, in case you didn't preview it first.

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Go for your life Brenda, I have no doubt that ignorance by choice is the stuff of the "educated" religionist too.

1. profile image0

Oh wow.  Do you call that a proper disclaimer?   What about the "educated" atheist, earnest?

Atheism is a word that assumes that another belief must be held in order to discount fairy stories when they are presented as truth.

I am not an atheist, the word atheist is based on a religious concept which assumes not believing in fairies, gnomes, and all powerful no show entities requires one to hold another doctrine. simply not true.
            If someone does not believe fairytales are truth they are showing common sense, no alternative belief required.

2. earnestshub profile image81

I don't use the word atheist, it is a religious construct to pigeonhole anyone who does not believe in myths as facts.

1. profile image0

I see.  Your intent is to dismiss "religion" altogether.

True. I dismiss it as what it is, a construct to control and allow little people to threaten others so they can let their megalomania run free under the auspices of nothing. smile

2. Daniel Carter profile image63
      Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pressing the "like" button repeatedly on this one, Earnest.

8. knolyourself profile image61

Think it would help if we all went back to the old nature religions called spirituality, but then we couldn't exploit the planet into oblivion.

9. PK2010 profile image67
    PK2010posted 13 years ago

Great points. Following my question, I want to add that In essence human beings create conflict through our interaction and existence with others. For instance Where there is education there is conflict because we learn, make discoveries and challenge facts.  Education is essential for development of self. Religion is like politics. We need religion to guide and help preserve our moral code of conduct and our spiritual intellect. Humans need to embrace religion in it's diversity and view varying perceptions objectively. We need to practise what religion preaches  - peace, love and harmony. We need to dig deep and not examine apply religion at face value. We need to read between the lines of religion not translate the words the way we choose to understand. If we as humans rise above this we will value religion in it's diversity and apply this notion to making the world a better place. It's a powerful element of societal existence whichis being abused due to ignorance and selfishness.

10. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

So...you prefer the idea that no one ever prays for you?

Right again! Do you see the poor who make up half the world getting their prayers answered?

I would have thought that 2,000 years of not having one single prayer answered would have made a statement, but apparently not.
      Despite all the claims of religionists that god found their car keys, apparently he enjoys seeing little children suffer, despite being omnipotent.
      Madness is how I would describe a belief in prayer.

2. PK2010 profile image67
      PK2010posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Prayer is the key, selfless prayer and praying with faith.

Both of which are never answered by the impossible invisible entity you believe in. smile

11. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I blame the French

12. profile image49
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Religion preaches love, but is the source of major world conflict.

Truthful Religion preaches peace and is always source of love; its ignorance is the source of conflict at hands of the pseudo-religionists and also by the non-believers.

13. Nila says profile image80
    Nila saysposted 11 years ago

I believe that would be even more disastrous. Many refrain themselves from ill-doings either out of fear of God or because of the universal preaching of religions - "Kindness". If there is no religion, there is going to be more disorder and pain in the world.

1. profile image0
      mariexotoniposted 11 years agoin reply to this

but then there are the other religions who believe that they need to kill for their god.

I don't know if the world would be a better place or not, but religion can stir up the crazies in people- it can bring out the worst.

But I think there would be more pain.. Some people wouldn't know what their purpose is in life..

14. jadesmg profile image82
    jadesmgposted 11 years ago

Religion is an entirely social construct, i don't think humanity would be the same without it. Most, if not all, human societies have some form of religion in its base. Surely, given this alone you can see it's importance. This includes societies which are relatively peaceful. Blaming religion for wars and conflicts is a little simplistic surely. War's may have some grounding in religion sometimes, but surely that is more political and the result of people using religion as a mens to teir own ends and purposes. It is not intrinsicly the fault of religion.
    I do think human history would be lost without religious structuring of some sort, and I say this as a non-believer just to clarify that I'm not just trying to defend my own beliefs.

15. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 11 years ago

The problem is that religions often do not preach peace and love at all even if their followers like to think they do. They actively preach the opposite. For example, Jesus said in Matthew 10: 34-36: "Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; 36 and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)