The 144,000 in Revelations Ch. 7 and 14

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (16 posts)
  1. DoubleScorpion profile image78
    DoubleScorpionposted 12 years ago

If one reads Chapter 7 of Revelations you will see that it speaks of 144,000 of the Israelites (12,000 from each tribe) being chosen (prior to the tribulations) and an uncountable number in white robes taken up after the tribulation.

According to the OT, God already chose all of the Tribe of Levi as his and he completely destroyed 2 other tribes for going against Moses. So we have 3 tribes being counted by the book of revelations that have already been accounted for elsewhere or for other reasons. Also if you continue reading you will notice that at this time, each of the persons in the white robes are given the chance to accept to believe in God at that time and if they still refuse, then they are cast out. If this is the case, why are we so concerned with it now? Why aren't we enjoying our current lives and when the time comes for judgment (as accounted in revelations) proclaim to believe and be "saved" (as we will then have actually proof of God)   

Chapter 14 states that these 144,000 are undefiled persons (never been with a woman/ or virgins depending on version of bible used)

If these are all men, where are the women and children? And are we to believe that only the males are going to be allowed in heaven?

Your Thoughts... please

1. platinumOwl4 profile image72
      platinumOwl4posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The bible is an extremely cleverly written book. One must take some of its statements with a very small amount of the substance Lot's wife turned into.

DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But of course! smile

2. megs78 profile image60
        megs78posted 12 years agoin reply to this

'LIKE'

2. Ms Dee profile image86
      Ms Deeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you will look in verse 7:4, it says these 144,000 were sealed. This is in reference to Eph 1:13, in that they were each given the Holy Spirit. In Revelation, this means they will be protected from harm, as implied in verses 7:2-3 will happen to the earth and sea.

I cannot find where you are saying the ones in white robes are given a chance to believe in God, and if they do not they will be cast out. What I *do* find it saying is those who worship the Beat will be cast out. Therefore, I do not follow the question you pose. If you would provide the verse references where you say some of those in white robes chose not to believe and are cast out, I will look that up to see what you are referring to. Otherwise, I think you have confused those in white robes (of righteousness) with those who worship the Beast.

When "John" wrote the Book of Revelations he had no knowledge of S/Pauls letters to the Ephesians or anyone else as he was exile to an island when this book was written. So he wasn't referencing other "books" of the bible. And the other question about those in white comes from various commentaries and is elluded to later in Chapter 20, I believe it is. The book of Revelations is not actually written in a timeline order. It was placed in its current format by ancient schools of thouoght by editors who placed it in a order that makes for ease/flow of reading.

1. Ms Dee profile image86

Yes, but he did not have to have reference to those books, right? I just gave that reference for your own sake. smile  Both Paul and John were taught by one and the same Spirit of God so would have the same understanding of 'sealed'. Please provide verse reference for chapter 20.

I'm very surprised that you think the order of Revelation was changed around by other editors!  The Greek discourse structure shows that the book is a series of visions, but if it had been reordered, these discourse structures would all have to have been rewritten. So this really does not make sense as actual fact that editors had reordered it all into a timeline.

If you take a course on the history of the New Testament and actually study the text itself (minus the belief system attached) it will better your understanding of how the bible we use today came about. And would probably even strengthen your beliefs.

I am simply looking for thoughts on the topic, I am not looking to debate personal beliefs. Men wrote the bible, that is fact. The bible was inspired by god, that is conjecture. And each person has their own thoughts on that.

1. Ms Dee profile image86

Thing is, I *have* taken such courses. You're right, such study strengths one's beliefs. Problem is, my thoughts are based on my beliefs. I will desist then, since you find my comments unhelpful.

Ms. Dee, I didn't mean to offend. If I did I apologize. All thoughts are welcome, I am looking for certain types of responses actually, for a project I am working on.

3. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Put everything that you just said with the fact that Jesus said !!!!  " "THIS" Gerneration shall not pass till ...."

Put these words that Jesus is said to have said, with a HUNDRED similar verses that Jesus is said to have said, add this together with many other similar verses .....  Jesus said;     And then say  ....   
      "BUT"    but ...  but ... Paul, Matthew, Luke and/or George Bush and or Jimmey Carter said ...  such and such ...   so we gotta    "INTERPRET"    what Jesus said like this ???????   
        THEN WE  ;  Errrrrrrr  , can come up with a diferent answer... One that I can like.
          Cause if we don't  ....   
          Scripture don't say what I want it to say.

-   -   - 
         If somebody don't    ....    somebody else should make a thread or Hub on this.

This Aint a comment or statement .... 
      Just hope someone thinks about it.

This is so clear that I don't believe no one else sees it !!!!!

Where is that verse in the bible that says    "Nothing is as it apears to be"?

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I've never read Revelations. That book has caused so many problems throughout the years, it's one book I wish had never been written.

But reading your statement, one thing really bothers me. Those in the white robes that are given a choice. You would assume anyone faced with evidence of God would choose God. What type of a being could he be that people would  prefer to say no? If I thought the text were true, that would make me very nervous.

Indeed. Things that make you go...Hmmmm...

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, Moses for one.  Didn't he piss god off when he struck the rock which water flowed from?  He had the audacity to knowingly disobey god's instructions and he had personally dealt with him.

Moses had problems!  lol

Randy does make a valid point.

3. Ms Dee profile image86

Emile R, those in white robes in Revelation are the saints who *already* believe in God. It is the result of the choice they have already made. So, I do not think you have any cause to be nervous. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)