Got Jesus, better get some or you’re going to hell.What do you believe

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Kurant82 profile image60
    Kurant82posted 12 years ago

I have always hated the "Got Jesus, better get some or you’re going to hell" speeches with a passion certain religious groups live by. It is not that I don't believe in God, or Christianity, it is just that I believe in a God with common sense. And I can only hope that if there is a God, he knows the genuinely good people from the horribly evil ones. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Jesus Christ. I just think God does not base ending up in Heaven or Hell solely on the "got Jesus, better get some or it is straight to hell forever" philosophy

1. Titen-Sxull profile image73
      Titen-Sxullposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Christianity has often wrestled with the faith versus works Salvation dilemma. Is it the mere act of accepting and believing in Jesus? Or is it about following what Jesus said regardless of whether or not you're faith in his divinity and sacrifice is unyielding? Jesus seems to suggest that he will judge by deeds in Matthew 25:42

"42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me."

Yet a verse like John 3:16 seems to suggest that belief alone is enough, thus creating a contradiction that has never been satisfactorily resolved.

The thing about the Hell defense is that it's very weak and it makes God seem evil. What could be more evil than sending someone to be burned and tortured for eternity? Christians who use that defense may be attempting to scare people but really they also run the risk of showing off the morally repugnant nature of the deity they believe in.

2. Mikio profile image69
      Mikioposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Bible clearly states that those who do not believe in Jesus are going to hell.  Right?  Well, this argument is based on the assumption that the Bible is true.  Right?  How do anyone 'know' that the Bible is true?  Well, they don't.  They just believe.  So, yeah, it is a belief.  Nothing more, nothing less.  If a moron wants to believe that he'll go to heaven for believing in Jesus, let him/her.  That just goes to show a very low level of consciousness on his/her part.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image69
        IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jesus never said that...  Paul did!   You should get your facts straight.  Jesus was never a hater, but Saul /Paul was.

1. earnestshub profile image82
          earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jesus never said anything. Every word written about him is heresay. smile

2. Mikio profile image69
          Mikioposted 12 years agoin reply to this

FYI: I wrote: The Bible clearly states that those who do not believe in Jesus are going to hell.  Did I say that Jesus said non Christians are going to hell?

3. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You had me worried...  I rather dislike the whole "you believe or else" scenario.  People like that drive me crazy.

4. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think my problem is that I have no common sense, which is why I can't relate to any gods and can tell the horribly evil ones apart.

Try to avoid Zeus and most of his family, the guy was almost human he was that bad! smile

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

You believe in god with common sense? Sounds conflicted to me. lol

1. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow !    that was insightfull .....

Or not ?

I missed the point of your statement !    Can You clariy?

3. getitrite profile image69
    getitriteposted 12 years ago

Wow!!!

4. Kurant82 profile image60
    Kurant82posted 12 years ago

I hope not, I would rather hope for a rational God, than a irrational one.

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You'd rather hope for a rational god? Again, sounds of conflict arise from your words. lol

Kurant82posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeap I would rather a rational God rather than some downsyndrome Lord Almighty upstairs deciding on whether or not I am worthy of eternal glory in his kingdom. I am just saying if there is indeed a God, I believe he does not base going to heaven or hell on whether you accept Jesus Christ as your savior, like many preach. I believe he knows the good from the bad and does not base his decision solely on the JC card as so many emphatically emphasize. I am wondering if you missed the point here, and just picked out a phrase that has nothing to do with the overall question.

5. Jonathan Janco profile image62
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

Those who say you are going to hell for not believing this or that are devil worshippers in the very plain sense. When you look outside yourself for God, you are projecting to the world a hatred towards yourself. When you care about what others think of you, you are rejecting yourself. When you feel you are powerless, you are trying to be something you are not.

6. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

Better find a god who know how to save his own *behind* from the species he created on earth. Instead of following the son of god who got his *behind* kicked by species which were created by his pappa long time back.

Kurant82posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Skyfire... I am trying to figure out what you mean, but honestly I have no damn clue what you are trying to say. Not trying to be rude, but maybe you could elaborate a little more.

7. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

The problem with believing that all one has to do to get into heaven is accept Jesus as Lord, is that I have known some Christians, who are racist, preach hatred against some sections of society and are happy when they hear of wars in the Middle East, because they believe it is evidence that Jesus is coming again soon.

On-the-other-hand, I have known atheists, who really care for their fellow man, and spend a lot of time doing work in the community.  They are humanists, who believe in the equality of all human life, and of other animal life. 

Why would God want an intolerant bigoted Christian, rather than a loving, caring atheist, just because the Christian has accepted Jesus as their Lord and Saviour?  Oh and I am not saying that all Christians are bigoted by the way, just that some are.

8. Jonathan Janco profile image62

If there is a Christ, such a being would recognize a Christ-like atheist as belonging to Christ, rather than a Christian who uses Christ as a mask to hide their true mission: self-righteousness.

9. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

A rational god?  Create everything, makes humans, tells a woman not to do something and acts surprised when she does it anyway.  Kicks them out of paradise to populate the earth, drowns almost all animals and people.  Impregnates 13 year old betrothed virgin, sacrifices son, brings him back to life, changes mind frequently.  Yep, sounds like a god one would have faith in alright!  lol

10. Jonathan Janco profile image62

God?
    lol
    gutbustingly hilarious. Unless by 'God' you mean devil, which makes perfect sense to me.

11. Jonathan Janco profile image62

And Anu, too.

Ah yes Anu as well!

Both are seen only as myths, The other gods as the only truth we should live by.

All of them are just projections from the darker side of the psyche common to mankind.

Roman mythology is a great tool in the hands of a good psychotherapist. smile

12. profile image0
    Binaya.Ghimireposted 12 years ago

In Hinduism you do not go to hell for being unbeliever, but while doing wrongs on others.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)