It's not rocket science ..you have faith or you don't !

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (42 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 12 years ago

It is  the great Hub forums where a certain few like to sit in the bleachers and throw christians to the lions.  And yet , its almost always the same ones .  Those  who like to chide the faithful are apparently  jealous. Thier lives  meaningless except for the pleasures of hyocracy. seudo -intellectually spewing thier disgust at the purity and honest simplicity of what ?....of faith!  And yet , they seem unable to grasp the fact that this faith is all thats reqired of believers of any denomination   ! Faith, one  small word , with so much apparent confusion associated with it .  And yet,of  all of the intellectual minds , of all of the test tube mentality  , the nuclear minds of today can come of with is pure schoolyard bullying . Here is the point : 
         "I [of great scientific mind] ,have proof that you shouldn't have faith!"
    is what they would have you or I believe , and it's what they constantly spew forth. My question ......Why do you care??? Go about your non-belief in silence! 
        Of course they tell us this constantly; "you are trying to push your belief down my throat " , uhmm hummmm, seriously when was the last time that the  God police forced thier way into your door?  Lets see how long it is before "they " cry foul at this !

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Um, isn't demanding atheists be silence pushing your belief quite literally down our throats and gagging us?

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
      Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually it is rocket science. Which is why the best and brighest minds are eternally searching for the answer we have as yet not been able to comprehend.

Faith is believing without proof, it is not believing in spite of proof.

Interpretation is key to understanding and the belief that common people should not attempt to "interpret" the meaning of the scriptures is simply an elegant way of saying "Don't think, OBEY".

2. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 12 years ago

religion ≠ faith
    Faith cannot exist in the face of certainty and become mere hypocrisy otherwise known as religion.

faith |fāθ|
    noun
    1 complete trust or confidence in someone or something : this restores one's faith in politicians.
    2 strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

Got faith in God, cool! I am unlikely to have any problems with that, why would I? lol
    Got faith in Religion, ummm there is where we got problems mate. Certainty is the basis of religion and so having faith in it is dishonest to oneself and others.

3. profile image0

There is the your problem, interpretation! You are wrong  , A true believer doesn't require test tubes!  Nor a telescope or a sextant. He requires trust. Trust in that his faith is all he needs. Listen , if you want to write your own rules , go ahead. Thats what most who suffer from  the lack thereof do ! It's quite prevelant around the forums.

4. profile image52
    NafisaSmithposted 12 years ago

next line

5. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

It's all about faith in yourself. You have faith that you have come to the right conclusions. So does everyone else. Everyone has the right to voice their opinion. Don't they?

1. Kiss andTales profile image59
      Kiss andTalesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes you are right! I think somtimes any of us can get carried away at the moment! and some one can push that red button ! and zap we loose it for a minute ,or some days and some as I heard from a number of days  some they do not know how to end the argument said by a wise lady!

6. profile image0

Already pre -loading are we?

7. profile image0

They do Emile , who would deny anyone their opinion ?  but the point being if you don't believe , then thats fine ! Why question another persons surity in faith! My whole point !

1. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why question? I don't know.  You probably think I'm one of the difficult ones. I don't have a problem with faith. But, it isn't a simple point of faith.

What does your faith make you believe about others? When someone has faith in their idea that a deity condemns people, voicing that opinion will garner a negative response. Too many people allowed to condemn too often, their hatred unchecked by others who claim affiliation with the same God; makes the whole thing look bad. You know what they say? 'one bad apple spoils the bunch.'

Once that bad taste gets in your mouth, I guess you'll condemn the whole religion and any person who claims simple faith in that vision of what God is.  Across the board. Who appreciates a person with surety in a deity who everyone says is hell bent on the destruction of mankind?

2. earnestshub profile image82
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Who would deny opinions? You would! lol
      Incessantly,

8. grinnin1 profile image69
    grinnin1posted 12 years ago

I like what you say, Emile, because you are honest and balanced and open in your comments. I hope that I am being open and fair as well in following this thread.
    Everyone does have the right to voice their opinion. But I think that Christians are being persecuted in America for voicing their opinions at this point in time. Sit through 6 years in a university where they claim to be open to every faith yet Chrisianity is constantly thrown to the dogs. The horrible things the W,A.S.P. has done throughout history, the evangelical conspiracy behind making our founding fathers out to be Christians, Using Jesus Christ's name in vain constantly while teaching about tolerance and not offending other's faiths? Teaching atheism and evolution as fact. I had one Christian professor who wasn't nearly as open or loud mouthed or offensive  as my anti-Christian professors, yet the school was trying to take his tenure for talking about Christianity in class
    It seems like it is difficult to be a practicing Christian and talk openly about it- not evangelizing, just talking about your beliefs, without being really attacked. And I am not an in your face kind of person. But my beliefs are central to my life, and I get tired of being pegged as ignorant, naive, evil, pathetic, idealistic, 
    I also question that it is all about faith in yourself.  I think having faith in yourself is worthy. But I also think that it matters what  the substance of  the object of your faith is. I put my faith in God, I believe His substance to be worthy of faith. I do this intentionally, understanding that I will not see God and he will not tell me the truth of all things while I am on earth. But I believe in my faith and I believe it's a valueable faith because I believe in God, the creator, the higher power, and Christ his son. And I believe in Him not blindly, but looking at history, religions throughout the ages, ancient texts, and things that are personal to my life and being.  I do not have this faith in humans, including myself, as I do not believe we are a higher power. I believe we were made to have the spiritual capacity to connect with that higher power, and that we do not understand all of the ramifications or reasons for this connection. I believe this is where our faith comes in.

9. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

"...seriously when was the last time that the  God police forced thier way into your door?"

How about when the faithful fought Gay marriage to destruction in most states?  How about when Texas changed our history to indicate only Christians among our founding fathers?  How about the continual fight to promote creationism in our schools?  Or the continual insistence for illegal school prayer? 

Although It's been a while since a Witness jammed their foot in my door, the Christian mob pushes their agenda and beliefs on a day to day basis throughout the country.  It's a never ending fight to keep outmoded, immoral and illegal Christian beliefs and demands out of our lives.

Having faith isn't the problem - no one truly cares about that.  It becomes a major issue when that faith, and the standards imposed by it, are forced onto surrounding people.  You claim that doesn't happen, but only because you accept that it is right and proper for the faithful (at least of your faith) impose standards on others.  It's not.

1. profile image0
      RookerySpoonerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For a long time, people of the UK, have looked on amazed at the continuing stranglehold that religion seems to have over US society.  However, where America leads, the UK is very often soon to follow.  For the first time in many years, religion seems to be back on the agenda, with increasing religious voices demanding to be heard and for their views to become part of education.  I am amazed to hear that religious groups in the UK are now insisting that creationism is taught alongside evolution.  And even the Equalities Commission, which is supposed to ensure equality in all areas of British life has an evangelical Christian leader, who believes that atheists have no right to question the religious, and has declared his intention to protect the religious believer against the atheist.  And the numbers of people who accept evolution in the UK has decreased quite dramatically, with only 25% now believing evolution to be a fact.  And similar numbers now believe the universe to be less than ten thousand years old.  Another indication of changing British attitudes is reflected in the fact that in the 1950s, only 1 in 8 people believed in ghosts, whilst now it is approximately 70%.  So, science in the UK seems to be losing ground to the belief in the supernatural.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry to hear that.  This is one export that America does not need to be making.

Of course, according to the OP we aren't.  It's just coincidence that England is having the same problems with the faithful not pushing the beliefs while they shove it down your throats.

If it weren't so sad, that Equalities Commission leader that publicly declares only his way is right would be funny.  It is the Christian way, though.

2. lizzieBoo profile image58
        lizzieBooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well I think it's simpler than that. As the great GK Chesterton said, "when people stop believing in God, they don't then believe in nothing, they will believe in anything."
        Wizards and magic, Vampires and life on other planets are taken more and more seriously as people poo-poo the idea of God more and more. We are a silly species in all.

1. profile image0

I agree.  60 years ago, the majority of British people believed in the Christian faith.  This began to decline though for a few decades.  However, the number of people who describe themselves as "spiritual" has risen sharply.  This often includes people who believe in fairies, tarot card reading, psychic surgery, Atlantis, flying saucers etc.  Trying to replace religion with rationalism has not been very successful and it seems people want or need to believe in things not of this world.

10. profile image0

I swear the nuns dropped some people on there heads too many times. It always seems those more fired up against religion are the ones raised in strictly religious households. Expatriated firebreathing ,ministers sons and daughters. Faith .....It takes far more faith to be an atheist and you people know it. One look at our world so planned and perfect and I know that the big bang is just a big pile!  Carry on my wayward children!......:-} Its funny ,you can always hear the bitterness in the whines of the lost sheep! Group hugs for the poor persecuted anti-believer.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I was reading the OP and thought exactly the same thing.

2. getitrite profile image69
      getitriteposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry you feel so deeply hurt and angry!

Did you ever consider that these people, raised in religious households, saw the consistent fraud, and outlandish claims UP CLOSE, and  can make a better discernment of the veracity of this nonsense?

In my opinion, it is apparent that you NEED to believe this!

11. CloudExplorer profile image77
    CloudExplorerposted 12 years ago

I'm truly surprised that people would discuss issues such a s religion, & simply treat it as if it wasn't something that's true to life.  The fact that many people live out their entire lives solely based on an particular belief system makes it an extremely delicate subject to toss around. 

Please do respect other peoples ways of life, their will power to survive in ways they know how, and in their personal beliefs.  It's quite alarming to me to see adults act in such a manner as if they weren't in the real world, where many lives depend on particular sources of knowledge such as religions provide. Without religion our very humanity we have today would have gone astray many many years ago. 

I don't personally like to focus on one form of belief, I view them as a whole as survival patterns that have been generated over ages of human existence, and people have every right to practice what they choose to worship.  No one should be scrutinized for what they believe in, unless if that belief infringes upon that of another. 

I do know that many beliefs exist out here in the world that have hidden agenda's, which many are cruel in it's practical purposes.  Those which practice falsehood behind their obvious illusive false truths do need to be done away with for sure, but maybe there should be a way to make such a thing happen someday.  There's also wolves that will always hide behind sheep's clothing, in anything related to the human experience, because many of us are programmed by greed, selfishness, and with cruelty in our hearts for the love & lust of money.

12. profile image0

I guess it couldn't be said any better than that ........

13. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Except for the ones that don't.

14. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 12 years ago

This is just a view from a personal perspective. Both arguments require faith, since neither can be proved of disproved. As discussion ensues regarding if their is a God the burden of proof falls on the believer, not the faithful, since the non-believer or atheist has faith God does not exist. This becomes true at this point since the atheist now has the burden of disproving God's existence. Again, it is founded on faith.

This, at least for 'me' is that so many Christians and/or religious (for the sake of a term) claim faith as their own, when it is not. The question is defining or explaining for 'self' the 'unseen.' We are a socialized creature within many influential cultures with the same logical assumption/presumptions based on the simplicity of 'faith' or relying on my special comment to these questions - "I dun'no."

15. profile image0

Somehow I just don't get that those  who aren't of belief have to STILL attempt to disarm the believers . My whole point all along has been that why would non-believers try so hard to disprove something as simple as "I choose to believe". There is a well defined agenda here in these forums for the questioners of believers to raise the hackles of everyone by disrepect! To deny this is just dillusionary !

Why does it matter? Why start topics about it telling them they have to shut up because you said so?  Why not just live and let live and lead by example by not going on and on about why you are right and they are wrong--which inevitably leads the the very discussion you started off saying you didn't want to have? Hypocrisy much?

16. profile image0

Just wanted to add that I have no problem with any belief , God or no god, It is more prevalent here of non- believers to disrespect believers. I would ask only that all of you watch for this in the future , and you will see it!

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78
      DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have seen disrespect and insults from both sides of the fence.

In these forums it seems we argue instead of discuss.

I am not one to dispute a persons belief, but as I have an extensive background in Biblical Studies, I do point out things about the bible and I have been told I am wrong simply because it does not agree with someones personal interpretation of the bible. There are things about the text that is the bible which have been proven as factual, but there are those who use their "faith" to dispute even these facts about the bible.

Sadly, if one would learn more it would probably increase their beliefs and understanding, but they refuse to do even that.

Atheist aren't basing their argument of the existance of God based on faith. They just want proof. If anyone could actually prove there is a God, then I am sure all atheists would change their opinions. But the fact remains, God simply cannot be proven, it has to be taken on faith.

1. tsmog profile image84
        tsmogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As does, that god does not exist - faith. Unless the burden of proof argument comes into play. The god of the bible admits their are false gods. Be they false they are gods. The question of ownership of faith as being a conclusive argument that there is a "God" is not an argument, since faith is universal to false 'gods' as well.

If the argument of 'belief' or 'believers' enters then their becomes large discussions within the Christian religions or non-exclusive ideology of faith related to that specific "god." Or, the arguments of dogma come into play. Belief or being a believer is congruent with being a non-believer.

A personal interjection is that I have little belief in much. However, to exist within the reality of 'self' I accept or acknowledge much, again, without attributing belief. I came upon this conclusion with studying science.

For 'self' belief is directly related to concrete evidence - science based evidence, law based evidence, etc. My personal view of the 'scriptures' they are not concrete. So, if I have anything regarding them it would be faith and not belief.

There comes the circle of my diluted mind. Faith of explanation for 'self' of the unseen, not belief. Disclaimer: this will  more than likely change by the time tomorrow gets here, which I have faith will occur and not belief, since tomorrow ultimately becomes today, and I never taste tomorrow except through faith."

2. wilderness profile image95

No, not all atheists will believe in God even given proof.  No more than the faithful you mention will believe certain facts about the bible.

Some people will simply always believe whatever makes their way of life acceptable and easy.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78
          DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are probably right. But I would think that if they were looking right at God...well...even then there might be a few

1. wilderness profile image95

Yep.  It would actually be ET come to visit.  Or their neighbor dressed up in a costume.  Or a hologram from the Russians (or the CIA smile ) designed to confuse them.  Or a hallucination.

Some are dead set on believing something and facts just won't change a thing.  Not even shaking hands with God.  Or finding Jesus' remains in India, for that matter.

2. profile image0

I have for a long time made the mistake of assuming all atheists are rationalists.  However, there are as many unsupported beliefs amongst atheists as there are amongst the religious.  There are atheists, who believe in flying saucers, tarot card reading and even immortal life.  People can manage to believe in the supernatural without believing in a god.

3. earnestshub profile image82
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Very sensibly put.

17. profile image0

Rookery ; I had not of it that way , but you are so right. And seriously , to each his own ,once in awhile I fly off the handle when I see the same ones who always try to provoke in bitterness!  I have since learned who they are and mean no disrespect to anyone , even them! But I will always call out those who are bitter antagonists !

18. aware profile image68
    awareposted 12 years ago

Believer
            score board
       god              you
       2.1               ?
    billion

how many people believe in you?

Apples and aardvarks.

2. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not to point out the obvious, but you are off by billions. Unless only Christians count as believers.

19. aware profile image68
    awareposted 12 years ago

ahh mine was better.
    im just jesting and word playing here

20. aware profile image68
    awareposted 12 years ago

Emile  .   nice . very nice .  your a witty and smart cookie
    nice to meet you

21. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Nice to meet you, too. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)