Why do christians insist on telling atheists what an atheist is?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (48 posts)
  1. Jesus was a hippy profile image62
    Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years ago

Why do christians insist on telling atheists that atheism is the beleif that there is no god while almost all atheists say it is the lack of belief in a god?

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe because the two things aren't quite the same?

Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hello Brenda. That's kind of the point of my question.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image58
        MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think that's the point Brenda.

2. OutWest profile image58
      OutWestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Same thing really..not believing.  I find it's usually the atheist telling the believer what their belief is..at least on this forum it happens quite often.

That does happen quite a lot I suppose but there is a difference. With chrisitianity for example, christianity kind of has set beliefs, ie jesus is the son of god, but with atheism, it simply denotes lack of belief. It doesnt say anything about what IS believed.

3. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Christians work from the position of belief when entertaining most concepts and ideas. They will say, "I believe or I don't believe" or ask a question, "Do you believe in..."  Almost everything is a belief and not an understanding.

I find that quite often. Theists often refer to beleifs even when indisputable evidence is available. For example, evolution is probably the most comon one. It saddens me when people say that it is a choice to believe in evolution.

1. OutWest profile image58
          OutWestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Evolution often has a dual meaning.  Evolving as a single specie and evolving from one specie to another.  Either way it could be said it is part of God's plan.  We are not all bible believers, like in Adam and Eve.

The whole "micro, macro" thing was coined by theists who dont want to admit that species evolve into new species.

It was coined because evolution is undeniable. Life forms change. The argument that lifeforms evolve but then stop evolving before they become a different species is just ridiculous.

If something changes then it stands to reason that the more it changes, the more different it will be from the original.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

No, the meaning is still the same, the only difference is time.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
              psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Or more specifically, whether they can and will bonk and produce fertile offspring.  But still the same process.

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Probably for the same reason atheists dash about telling christians what they are and what they think when the atheist has no clue. Lack of curiosity to fully understand.

1. lone77star profile image72
      lone77starposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Brilliant point, Emile! Yes, I find myself doing that, too. But humility and curiosity are so much better. I have learned so much from people who had different viewpoints than my own. It gets a bit difficult with the other person is overly pushy or judgmental, but that's the challenge.

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image62

Forgive me if I'm wrong but aren't christians supposed to share the same beliefs?

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

With atheists? I don't think so. I thought atheists had no belief in God.

LOL with eachother smile

1. profile image0
            Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

smile  Seriously, though. Of course they don't share beliefs. Haven't you seen the posts where the Catholics and the Pentecostals throw down? And that Universal Unitarian gives them h*ll at every turn. You couldn't converse with two Christians whose beliefs are a mirror image of each other.

Just like all atheists aren't the same. Some are spiritual, some are pagan, some are pantheists.

No two people think the same. Whatever their beliefs, or lack of them. No matter what you might want to believe.

I agree entirely but since one is describing lack of belief and the other is describing a belief, surely the one that describes a belief (christianity) should be the same belief. I mean, it's the same book afterall with the same words.

I find it hilarious to sit back and watch 2 theists arguing.

3. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

Hi, Hippy. Good question.

"Why do christians insist on telling atheists that atheism is the beleif that there is no god while almost all atheists say it is the lack of belief in a god?"

Personally, I know the difference, but it seems that many atheists, especially on this and similar forums don't. They say one thing but act out the other.

It's not up to me that they are defacto believing there is no God, but their statements betray that sentiment. Not all, certainly, but even those that do act this way think that atheism is a lack of belief in a god. I suppose it comes from a lack of self-awareness, but that's just a guess.

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

"Why do christians insist on telling atheists what an atheist is?"

It's a messy job, but someone has to do it. lol

Deuteronomy 4:17:subsection b:paragraph 4:notation III

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi lady. Great Scripture there, including the surrounding passages and their meaning.
      What do you refer to in the "subsection", etc...?
      And would you elaborate on your meaning as to how the passage relates to the topic question?  You've piqued my interest.  smile

5. MissE profile image76
    MissEposted 12 years ago

It's quite a concept isn't it?  People defining who you are and your beliefs....and they don't even know you.  It's shocking.  Never happens the other way around......Ok....you caught me.....I'm being sarcastic again.  Now who saw that coming?!  Now the part I like is when Christians tell other Christians that they are in fact..... not Christians.  Pointing fingers and name calling is fun isn't it?    Every time you point your finger three more are pointing right back at ya. There's a gem of knowledge.  big_smile

6. profile image0
    ThomasRydderposted 12 years ago

Soooo...perhaps it's a poor question..but what DO atheists believe?

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78
      DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Atheist is a lack of belief (in a God).

1. profile image0
        ThomasRydderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That;'s not what I asked...that's answering what they don't believe in...what do they?

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78
          DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Outside of theology...They "believe" what is factual or what is proven with supporting evidence.

The word "Atheist" is a term associated to religious beliefs or lack there of.
          It can only really be applied to religious topics. And they have no beliefs in some or all aspects of the concept of religion or Gods

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image62

Atheism simply denotes a lack of a belief. It says nothing whatsoever about what is believed.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

Is there something specific an atheist should believe? Is it a problem if they don't believe in something?

1. profile image0

Nope...I was just wondering what they believe. The main crux in the whole matter (which I've seen discussed in many places on HP) is where we came from. Was it God? the Big Bang? Alien races populating the planet? So...if atheists don't believe in God, where do they believe we came from?

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

Perhaps, it's not a matter of believing where we came from, but instead, developing an understanding based on the information and data available.

1. profile image0

Semantics don't count...if you don't  BELIEVE in the creation, what do you BELIEVE?

There is no semantics in distinguishing belief from understanding, they are not the same thing.

Why do you get the impression I have to believe in creation, or something else?

1. profile image0

You have to...you seem to be an intelligent fellow...you telling me you haven't pondered the origination of the human race and come to some conclusion?

Answers to the origination of the human race can be found through evolution.

1. profile image0

AHA...as I suspected....now wasn't that easy? You don't have to be ashamed....
                    So, you don't think that evolutionism and Christianity can exist hand in hand? Why, even the Catholic Church is sliding over to a altered view on the subject. Are you more wise then they?

2. aka-dj profile image66
                    aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, right!! lol

Please show us where that is! lol lol lol
                    (No opinions allowed here)! hmm

7. LookingForWalden profile image60
    LookingForWaldenposted 12 years ago

Jp 2 did more than slide the church over to evolution.

1. profile image0

Of coursse he did...he shocked the world. I was speaking somewhat tongue in cheek. However, I was also speaking to troubled man's apparent inability to reconcile himself with the here and now.

LOL! lol

8. LookingForWalden profile image60
    LookingForWaldenposted 12 years ago

Shaky science perhaps a por choice of words .
    Let's say we had an allegory of a murder case.
    You could not convict creationism with spontaneous generation.
    Not yet anyways.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)