jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (43 posts)

Religion

1. yellowstone8750 profile image61
    yellowstone8750posted 5 years ago

If the US is a majority Christian, why do poverty, the homeless, poor healthcare, racism, and other social injustices exist. Does not hypocricy abound. Jesus did not teach what is practiced today. To me it is a conundrum. I'm curious agnostic who has read the Bible more than once. I'm sking this esp. to the fundementlists. I know this does not apply to all Christians, but I'm asking it of all. Call me curious.

1. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Don't talk so foolishly. Yes the majority of the people of the USA have "Christian beliefs. There is a huge chasm though between religion and politics that can never be breached because the politicians a capitalists first and formost out to line their own pockets. The politicians could care less about the needs of the people.

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image61
        Jesus was a hippyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Is that why your president sends so much aid to other countries? Your blanket claim of all politicians wanting to line their pockets is akin to racism only instead of a race you target, it is politicians by painting them all with the same brush.

Your claim is ignorant and unfounded.

1. Dave Mathews profile image60
          Dave Mathewsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I am not a citizen of the USA,. I am a Canadian so you are wrong on both counts.

My bad, but regardless of who YOUR president is, you still covered ALL politicians with the same blanket. My comment still applies.

2. yellowstone8750 profile image61
          yellowstone8750posted 5 years agoin reply to this

To hippy:It is not  claim, but aa question. I am curious, could be wrong.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image64
      prettydarkhorseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

because there is lag between the ideal and what is actually done

I think that economic system contribute a bit to the behavior of people, being materialistic.

Agreed.

3. pennyofheaven profile image77
      pennyofheavenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What we sow we reap. Perfect balance

2. Ms Dee profile image89
    Ms Deeposted 5 years ago

A couple thoughts come to mind. In America, the majority does not always 'rule'. Another is that America is not 100% obedient to Christ. Those who are cannot force those who are not to be obedient to Christ. It is an individual choice.

1. LookingForWalden profile image61
      LookingForWaldenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

How does a majority not rule in a democracy?
      Unless you are referring to the secular nature of protecting minorities rights. But I still don't see how that interferes with being compelled to help the needy.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image81
        Mikel G Robertsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Through money a 1%er can control the majority.

While this is also true I was referring to Ms. Dee reference to having a majority of Christians in the government to impose gods will.
          The majority of elected officials are Christians though. So majority does rule. In theory. Perhaps not the right flavor of Christians to some though.

Good observation.

Isn't tht kind being kind of pregnant--you either are or you are not. I understand what you are saying. If you don/t follow Christ, why clim to be  Christian, it makes no sense to me. Have a great holiday.

3. yellowstone8750 profile image61
    yellowstone8750posted 5 years ago

Thanks fpr the coment. I have  fundementalist (real) rich brother who is  fundementalist who drives  new Porsche while Seattle abounds with homeless. To him, material wealth is a sign of piety. As for the chasm, I think they are intertwined. Happy Thanksgiving.

Sorry for the spelling errors...I have a bd 'a' key on my keyboard that I don't always catch.

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image61

That's nature for you. We have evolved from a social hierarchy where dominant males win the mates.

Now success is not neccesserily down to strength. It can be financial or social success too.

In any case, maybe rich people deserve to be rich because they work hard. I know I work hard and I'm not giving a penny to those who are homeless because they cannot be bothered to work and would rather beg and get drunk every day.

I'll give food to those who cannot help being homeless, but the rest who are capable of earning their living dont deserve a single penny that I worked for.

Thanks for the comment. I'm just saying the 1st century church was different. You are associting religion and capitalism.

4. LookingForWalden profile image61
    LookingForWaldenposted 5 years ago

Under no circumstances should children be homeless or go hungry.

I could do more. You could do more. Regardless of religion or government.

What is holding us back?

This question is removed from government and religion because those things don't hold us back from giving or helping.
    They are excuses.

That is my question, what is it?

1. mom101 profile image60
        mom101posted 5 years agoin reply to this

yellowstone, the answer is simple. It is greed. selfishness, convetness, and the like.

We can't blame God,  we can't blame the government, we cant blame the neighbors.

I am a member of a church. At Christmas, the committee met and was trying to decide how to help the neighborhood. All the recommendations I heard was a showing at best. No real help.

The weekend before Christmas, a friend, her kids, my son and myself went out bought a van load of cookies in tins, cards and wrote a simple note wishing a Blessed Christmas and invited them to the church (Christmas program and dinner).  Many showed up, many sent thank you notes to the church, and the "deacons" of the church scolded us. .....I do not go there any longer. .......The church had maybe 50 members, and decided to build a new church. One to include a gym for the kids, I voted no, to the new church and the gym. and suggested a large food pantry and a mini laundry mat with showers. There are at least 25 homeless people within 2 miles of the church. Ours is not the only church to build new buildings. All of the major churches around have built huge new churches. Way bigger than than the member count needs. the point is, you are exactly correct, IF the churches would do as they are suppose to do, we would have way less than half of people going hungry or homeless. I live in a small town. There are at least 6 major churches here and most sponsor many programs, but they are for the people of the church. SOMEWHERE something is BACKWARDS. Almost hypocritical.

5. liftandsoar profile image78
    liftandsoarposted 5 years ago

I agree with Ms Dee and would add that the Christian faith makes a huge difference in this world but it is not primarily about this world.  No true Christian perfectly prictices the teachings of the Savior, but our hope is not in our own perfection but in Christ's.  When all is said and done, you'll find that the Christian world and life view has done more for the least and the last than any other religion.  And yet we look for a New Heavens and a New Earth where righteousness covers the earth as the waters cover the sea!

Interesting. Well I posed a question and am getting some feedback. I am asking becuse I don't have an answer.

6. paradigmsearch profile image93
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

http://inthewildwithwags.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/wild20turkey.jpg
    Paradigmsearch and Jesus was a hippy take a stroll...

You Jiiiiiiiiiiive, turkey.

7. Perspycacious profile image80
    Perspycaciousposted 5 years ago

The faults you cite rest not in the teachings of Christ, but in the practice of those teachings by so many of today's Christians (and partially in any man-created changes of Christ's teachings and instructions.)  Many of today's Christians, worldwide by the way, spend more on feeding their pet birds, cats, dogs, hummingbirds, etc., than they think of spending  to help parents with starving children dying in their arms.  Charity, being "the pure love of Christ," is mocked when Christians, or anyone, gorge themselves in such a world and gratuitously label it "giving thanks." The Christian scriptures of the New Testament quote Christ as saying (see John13:35): "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, that ye have love one to another." And, also in John 8:31, "if ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; and ye shall know the truth, and the tuth shall make you free."

8. ikechiawazie profile image60
    ikechiawazieposted 5 years ago

I think there is a misunderstanding here. America was founded on the basis of christianity.It does not mean that we must force people to be christians. Due to christianity which beleives in freely submitting yourself to God, other religions and doctrines have sprung up. Furthermore people have misinterpreted the bible and practised things that are ungodly.

This is wrong. America wasn't founded as a Christian nation. There's laws, letters and treatise to the contrary.

1. Perspycacious profile image80
        Perspycaciousposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Read more carefully, please.  He said: America was founded on the basis of christianity.   He did not say what you said he said:  founded as a Christian nation.  Incidentally Candidate Mrs. Bachmann would like to see all US law come into conformity with Bible teachings, and that might be great.  Why , Well for starters, every 25th year would be a Jubilee Year in which all debts would be forgiven!

Sounds like semantics. Can you elaborate the difference.
          To my knowledge were based ofmenglish common law, which in turn existed for hundreds of years before Christianity was introduced to the Anglos.

2. A Troubled Man profile image61
      A Troubled Manposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, some misrepresentation is certainly afoot... lol

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

9. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 5 years ago

Why do poverty, the homeless, poor healthcare, racism, and other social injustices exist?

Why would America be any different from any other nation? I think every religion compels its adherents to address these issues. Every nation falls short. Human nature is what it is. Why chastise Christians only? Jesus himself said the poor would always be among us. Poverty is the result of racism and social injustice. It will always exist as long as humanity does. But, I'd rather be a poor person in America than a famine ridden African nation. We do help each other, but not enough; for sure.

Does not hypocricy abound?

Everywhere. Always.

10. AshtonFirefly profile image81
    AshtonFireflyposted 5 years ago

To assume that most people in the United States are Christian would be to assume that those who say they are "Christian" actually ARE so. Wo why would someone say they're a christian when they're not? Alot of reasons, not all of which are because they actually practice what they believe, but also not necessarily because they are lying. There are many facets of human psychology that prompt our association with and embrace of certain ideas or principles. To some Christianity is a ritual; to others, a lifestyle; to other still, a supposed "ticket" into heaven. Which approach is best? Well...put all such people together and they will argue that theirs is best, for their own reasons.
      Also, to combat Christians is to assume that Christians are more responsible for the care of the needy. I suppose I could see the logic in this. The Bible is known for its instructions to take care of the needy. But taking care of the people who don't have much is something that appeals to the humanity in all of us: atheist, agnostic, buddhist, muslim, etc. So the question could just as easily be asked...why aren't people who AREN'T Christians picking up the Christian's slack? (assuming that they are truly Christian.)
      For a Christian who believes that it is their God-given duty to care for the poor and simply don't want to do it, I would say it would be laziness or apathy. A crime all, Christian or not, commit on a daily basis. Whatever religion we embrace, I think our natural tendency is to look out for "#1." It would simply be too much effort to help anyone.
    That's my two cents, or a half a cent, or whatever it's worth smile

1. mom101 profile image60
      mom101posted 5 years agoin reply to this

On the money Ashton

Hi Mom!!!

I used the Christian example because that is what the majority of Americans seem to be.

11. LookingForWalden profile image61
    LookingForWaldenposted 5 years ago

Many are Christian, but not fundamentalist which is still a minority in America.
    Meaning they don't believe you can pray your way out of debt, who to wage war with, or argue science.
    So they are Christian, just maybe not your flavor.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image81
      AshtonFireflyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don't have a flavor of Christian. I use the term "Christian" broadly. I'm talking about the people who claim to be a Christian for various r easons. From those labeled "fundamental" to those labeled "liberal". That's why I said that each of them have their own reasons for claiming to be a Christian. Each one lives out this title or identity in whatever ways they feel appropriate. Some have extremely anti-scientific, some believe it's not ok to dance, some couldn't care either way, etc. My point was not to say that there are very few Christians. My point was that one cannot easily say something like "most of hte people here are Christians" and assume that because of that fact, they all act in the same general way. I in no manner stated that a Christian can only call himself so if he is fundamentalist.

I purposely didn't reply to your post because I didn't want you to think I meant you.
        I'm sorry if it came out that way. I meant you as to fundamentalists out there.
        Apologies.

Nah, I'm sorry. It looked like it was a reply to mine. I'm still kinda new to this site and thought it was. My bad.  hmm

All good, happy thanksgiving.

you too

working