Tomorrow's Reality is Based on Today's Vision: I want to know...

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Seek-n-Find profile image71
    Seek-n-Findposted 12 years ago

...what do you think/envision/dream of/hope for in regards to what the "Church" of tomorrow will look like/be like/feel like?  How will it be different than the Church of today?  How do you envision the Church growing in love and maturity? 

When I was praying today, I felt like God was highlighting to me verses where He talks about "doing a new thing" and I started thinking about how things/people/institutions grow and change over time.  Our thoughts of today become the tools upon which we partner with God and each other to build a better tomorrow.  I'd love to hear about your thoughts/ideas/dreams, etc.  Thank you!

1. mischeviousme profile image61
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How about an institution where there are no social distinctions? This whole "My God's better than your God" garbage is getting stail. As I am not permitted to partake in religiosity, I would like to find one that isn't about religion. This is of course the setting aside of indoctrination and more the promoting of free thought. A religion in itself, should then be devoid of the persuits of the ego.

Seek-n-Findposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like the idea of an institution where there is unity with diversity--yet all under the umbrella of God and His Ways and His Truth but where there is Freedom for diversity and we embrace what God reveals yet know there is still mystery and where the foundation is love, grace, truth, and freedom.  Thanks for your comment!

1. mischeviousme profile image61
          mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

smilesmile

2. leroy64 profile image64
      leroy64posted 12 years agoin reply to this

First, I would look at a the written works of HG Wells and the silent movie "Metropolis" by Fritz Lang.  That will give you some idea of Mankind's predictive ability.   Then i would read the writings of the Apostle Paul.

My example:  The Mega churches that seem to dominate today's religions make me uneasy.  I suppose I miss the days when the church was a part of neighborhoods instead of an independent entity drawing from entire regions.  One pastor near me draws people from the entire city,  He is setting up businesses for Christians to frequent and housing for members if they want it.  I do not see how the good intentions of the pastor can last longer than the personality of the pastor.   The system he has set up, of course, will either die out or the system will take on a semblance of life, supported by bureaucratic administrators. 

Do we move forward with a system that isolates its members from the world?  Does such a system overshadow the Pastor's main charge of guiding the flock? 

How does the government see the mega-churches?  Competition?  Allies?  Governments of any kind cannot ignore large gatherings of people.  Politics is a part of the large scale churches by default.

The main advantage of large scale organizations is efficiency; but, there is a danger that the organization becomes the focus, rather than God.

3. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What is that feeling and how do you know it is God and how do you distinguish it from other feelings?

With all due respect, are you sincerely interested in my answer to this question?  Because I don't want to take the time to explain and type it out if your motive is to rip apart whatever I write.  This has been my experience for the most part thus far with interactions with you.  If you already have your mind  made up that I worship an invisible sky fairy that causes evil indoctrination and many troubles on the earth, and that what Christians do is simply ridiculous, do you ask questions like this to gain knowledge and to try to understand or to make fun?  Your motive matters to me.  I think I have a perfectly legitimate reason for asking you this, based on the pattern of responses I've seen from you in the forums.  And if you are sincerely interested in understanding then I apologize, but this is not the impression that I get.  Thank you.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

I have asked this question before an not one single believer has every answered it honestly and was hoping someone could.

Take a look at this link--it gives an overview in a nutshell.  This is not the only way--but a way--a most common way.

http://www.cwgministries.org/Four-Keys- … Gods-Voice

Key#1 - God's voice comes as spontaneous thoughts, visions, feelings, or impressions. Therefore, when you want to hear from God, tune to chance-encounter or spontaneous thoughts.

Impossible, how does one know those are their own thoughts, visions, feelings and impressions? If all chance encounters and spontaneous thoughts are God speaking, then that would mean we have no thoughts of our own and everything that occurs on the planet by chance is the result of Gods intervention; hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, etc.

Key#2 - To receive the pure word of God, it is very important that my heart be properly focused as I become still because my focus is the source of the intuitive flow. If I fix my eyes upon Jesus, the intuitive flow comes from Jesus. But if I fix my gaze upon some desire of my heart, the intuitive flow comes out of that desire.

The heart pumps blood so I have no idea what he's talking about here. It is only the mind that can focus. This key therefore is invalid.

Key#3 - I had never thought of opening the eyes of my heart and looking for vision. However, I have come to believe that this is exactly what God wants me to do. He gave me eyes in my heart to see in the spirit the vision and movement of Almighty God.

Again, the heart pumps blood and he has made a conclusion that his heart has eyes. Again, this key is invalid as it does not make any sense.

Key#4 - I call the process "two-way journaling," and I have found it to be a fabulous catalyst for  clearly discerning God's inner, spontaneous flow, because as I journal I am able to write in faith for long periods of time, simply believing it is God.

This one seems to be the weakest reason of all, in that the author merely believes in God because he can sit for long periods of time writing.

Sorry Seek-n-Find, but none of these keys really has anything that one can consider valid when it comes to speaking with God.

He's not saying all spontaneous thoughts are from God--but a spontaneous thought that meets certain criteria (i.e. it would be in line with God's character...if somebody had a thought that said to harm an innocent child and thought it was God, it's not because that would not be in line with God.  Spontaneous thoughts can be from God or from the enemy or from ourself.  Those from God are good and in line with His character; those that are evil or in alignment with the character of the enemy are likely from the enemy; and those that are focused on self are likely from self.

He's not talking about the literal heart--he's talking about the "mind-heart"...think of the difference between brain and mind.  There is the soul part of a person--the immaterial part--the part of you that is related to free will--the part of you that is related to your conscience--this is more the idea.

The author does not believe in God because he can sit for long periods of time writing. If one seeks God diligently and puts time and effort into knowing Him and being in relationship with Him, journaling is one key among many that is a tool--a way to help focus.   

I am not willing to write a long response because this is like step 20 on a journey that you are not even wanting to go on (as far as I can tell) so it just won't make sense to you unless you decide to go on this journey and start at step 1.  I can recommend lots of resources to you for listening/reading if you want to explore this journey, but things of the spirit don't make sense to the flesh.  It can make sense to you if you want to explore it openly.  That part is up to you!

Gods character can be jealousy, wrathful and hateful when it suits his purpose. Sorry, I don't buy the 'God is only good' line. He's not.

There is no difference, the brain and the mind are one and the same, by definition. There's no such thing as the "mind-heart"

Sorry, but the soul has never been shown to exist, however we do have a conscience.

Journaling isn't a word in my dictionary. How about the word 'writing'?

It doesn't matter how much time one puts into reading the Bible, you can only know so much about God from the Bible, and that's it.

Considering that the keys and your explanation so far don't hold any water, the steps are meaningless.

Sorry, but the whole thing is bogus so far because you and that author are basing it all on false premises, altered definitions and things that have never been shown to exist.

If that's the concept of talking to God, then it is indistinguishable from talking to oneself. smile

Once again ATM:  You disagree with me and I disagree with you.  Different worlds that we live in.  :-)

4. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No G/god required to change the world. It requires honest people who understand what Life is about and don't seek out their own delusions for their own damaging purposes.

I do agree that change requires honest people who understand what Life is about and who don't seek out their own delusions for their own damaging purposes.  Thanks for your comment!

2. intouch with Toni profile image60
    intouch with Toniposted 12 years ago

We need to show love in culturally relevant ways.  The methods must change while the message stays the same.  We must leave the walls of our buildings and interact with those around us the way Jesus did.

You know that saying 'everything old is new again?' I'd like to see an attitude and behavior that was prevalent in the first century church.  One where sacrificing what one had so no one goes without was the norm.  One where people were not afraid of doing and saying what they knew to be right so that everyone would know a God of relationship, not one of religion. That church grew in leaps and bounds.  That 'church', a body of believers, not a self-contained denomination with a country club or we're better than they are mind-set, was blessed and God 'added to their number every day'.  Mark Batterson wrote a wonderful book based on this premise - "Primal".  It talked about stripping away our traditions and 'church culture' which aren't inherently bad in themselves but become stumbling blocks and comfort zones that prohibit growth, and getting back to our first love.

Methods changing and message staying the same...I like that.  I would even say as much as the message being restored to the original message, too!  I agree with a community that focuses on relationship over religion.  I heard a saying once about structure and freedom:  structure is like a path that has been cleared on a hill to allow the skier a safe place to ski but he she goes down that hill and over the bump and has total freedom.  Structure like the banks of a river that helps provide boundaries to keep the river a river that continues to flow but there is freedom in that river.  I'll have to check out that book you mentioned--sounds interesting!  I really think you hit an important point in your last sentence--it's not that all these things are inherently bad--it's just bad when they are used wrongly and produce bad fruit.  Thanks for your comment!

3. profile image55
    SanXuaryposted 12 years ago

I actually never wanted to be saved if today's church is what I must live in Heaven. Only by looking much deeper did I realize how shallow the church is and its so called believers. Most are living a great hypocrisy and reaching their highest levels of belief that they stopped learning and growing a long time ago. They do not teach but condemn one another focused only on Earthly purpose. Not understanding the journey to salvation, spiritual growth and maturity, the place in the body, Gods purpose for the individual and a church outside of them. They run their programs towards Earthly results like a school keeping attendance and judge everyone based on their merit on Earthly terms. Not everyone deserves this point of view but living for God can be extremely different then the view they find acceptable to maintain their Earthly status and position to govern and judge others in a purely Earthly social system. We change this view by separating what is Heavenly purpose and growth from Earthly agendas and results here on this planet. When you do this you find wealth in poverty and in people who have no status. You find the people who realized that education was a waste of time, money was a waste of time and refusing to take part in evil that most people find acceptable is still evil. Instead I find people treating symptoms wasting their prayers for Earthly things not understanding that this is the lesson you must learn in order to grow in true spiritual terms. We our seeking Heaven and not this temporary life on Earth. Go to God first and you will be rewarded on Earth with the things you need and you will serve Gods purpose and not your own.

I agree with many of your points.  I think that the Church is in a season of purification and its time for her to reflect the glory of God and act as a mature bride--to put away childish things--and to be true, heavenly ambassadors of the Kingdom.  Much of the church in its current state is not a representative of the Kingdom of Heaven but I am hopeful that she shall be transformed and become that representative and fulfill the prayer of Jesus, "Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven."  Going to God first is key.  Loving Him first is key.  Trusting in His ways above our own ways is key.  Thanks for your comment!

4. WD Curry 111 profile image58
    WD Curry 111posted 12 years ago

Funny you should ask. I have been thinking about this.The church has taken in a lot of money. What is up with all of these Chrystal Cathedrals, Majesty Buildings, cars, clothes, houses, planes broadcasting empires and theme parks? We should be investing in community clinics, community building, and community outreach.

Here is what can be done. I've done it. I went on from here to help build a post secondary vocational program. The state government pulled the plug on funding.

This is the United States. The government should not be funding these efforts, the private sector should. Republicans . . . put your money where your mouth is and fund these kinds of efforts. Can only the tax man pry a nickle out of your hand? Democrats - you are good at setting up programs. I have talked to the Republicans, and urged them to help you and the Church fund them. I need a salary. Don't muzzle the ox. I could live for a year on the price of one of those gilded thrones I see on Trinity Broadcasting Network.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6042256_f520.jpg

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6042257_f520.jpg

Money I have none, but what I have, I give freely. Stand up and walk!

1. Michele Travis profile image66
      Michele Travisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great comment.  How much money do politicians  have?  How much money does the Catholic Church in Rome have?  How much money does Joel Ostein have, or other preachers on tv?  How much do they give back?  I think anybody can anwser these questions.

2. Seek-n-Find profile image71

Yes--its not that the church should be poor and not care about money, but should be good stewards of wealth and have much to give much--in all areas of life--to offer wholistic support and help and acts of mercy and justice to not just individuals, but cities and regions and nations.

That verse just really jumped out at me.  Thank you for including that.  I was having a conversation with my good friend yesterday and she said, "I feel like God keeps telling me something about walking--about walking for Him."  I didn't quite understand but as soon as I read your comment the lightbulb went on.  As we go out and give to all those who can't "walk" they can join us in walking and those that have to give increase and those that are able to receive increase.  I have much to ponder...thanks for your feedback!

5. kayecandles profile image61
    kayecandlesposted 12 years ago

love your replies Seek-n-Find.

Thank you kaycandles.  :-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)