Is Religion Useful?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (182 posts)
  1. DennisBarker profile image61
    DennisBarkerposted 15 years ago

Does religion serve a greater purpose than just service to whichever god I choose to worship?

There is clearly a social function to the boundaries that religions impose on their followers and these boundaries may have more merit outside of the religious context than within it.

What I am groping for here is a way to analyse the social effects of changing boundaries as religions develop and mutate with time.

I plan to develop this post at a later date but the thought just occoured to me. Does anyone here have a system for analysis of the social impact of religious rules?

1. SparklingJewel profile image68
      SparklingJewelposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Reading,reading and more reading, as well as interactions with people in the flesh and not just online. And to do so mainly interacting with the greatest diversity of peoples is the only way to understand the social impact of religions. All too often decisions, opinions and determinations for action are based on too few perspectives and stated as fact instead of realizing it is just another perspective of the infinite perspectives available.

Like when someone says "all Americans believe in freedom". Do all Americans think freedom means to do as they please, or that freedom has boundaries,or that freedom has human implications as well as spiritual implications?

2. Kelsey Tallis profile image63
      Kelsey Tallisposted 15 years agoin reply to this

What if you have no specific god? My sense of deity is amorphous and ever-changing...

Not necessarily. Only if you allow external boundaries to impinge upon you.

Consider the internal effects of subjective boundaries.

Instinct and my own intrinsic bullshit detector...

Edit: GREAT OP btw! big_smile

3. Shauna.Gould profile image60
      Shauna.Gouldposted 15 years agoin reply to this

To me the focus should move away from religion and more to God. Religion is created by man, but grace is given by God as is love.

Beside "religion" has become just a corrupt as the world is, now I admit there are still a few churches, not religions, that do put God first and not their religion, but these are getting fewer and fewer.

We need to find the place that worships God and not man's religion.

4. countrywomen profile image60
      countrywomenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Good questions Dennis. Is this for a school project or a survey that you are performing? Anyway I will try to elaborate to the best of my ability.

1) Does religion mean providing "service" to a certain God?
      Further the word service can be broken down to mean either(and/or) practicing alone or doing good deeds as prescribed or trying to get more followers.
      In my view those who do good deeds are ok and those who practice alone are ok too.

2) What about social function and boundaries?

Well we have had religions right from Egypt to South America. But if we limit ourselves to the present day living practicing religions then there are two focal points i.e., one arising in and out of Jerusalem(where Judaism, Christianity and Islam) originated and the other in and around India(where Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism) originated hence the beliefs originating out of those areas are similar.

3) Are there social effects of religion and do they change with time?

Yes certainly there are social effects which can be seen right from the birth, marriage and death in the way those ceremonies are performed. And certainly they change with time since societies are always in a state of flux.

Finally I would say that there are good people in any religion and no religion. And if you ask me about the purpose of religion I would say it is a guide for us to improve ourselves. And for that matter even atheists who might have internalized moral principles are also improving themselves. Each person is bound to take a journey that suits him or her best. But our freedom to believe ends where the other persons nose begins. Lots of times I have seen when ones beliefs are thrusted on others as "facts" then it creates uncomfortable situations.

But sadly there have been times in history(and even now) where religion is (mis)used by certain people to gain power? Finally in my view if we keep an open mind and keep revisiting our own beliefs then it isn't a sign of weakness but on the contrary liberating. Sometimes when there are gaps in our understanding then if we fill those gaps conveniently with our own perceptions than that could be a incomplete "truth". If we already have a preconceived belief and then specifically seeking for "information" that is subscribing/agreeing to our beliefs would be a very unfortunate and limited usage of the infinite capacity of the human mind. WOW!! That was a long post. Hope it was helpful to you. smile

5. mandybeau profile image58
      mandybeauposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don't follow any rules except those rules I have set out.

6. jxb7076 profile image79
      jxb7076posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I believe the establishment of religions are based on a need to belong and a desire for inner peace, and in most cases revenge. This desire changes based on the individuals ability to forgive.  In most cases this inconsistency in quite useless thereby making religion itself useless and perhaps a hinderence to personal spiritual growth.  Religion is different from spirituality however, in our quest for control we have exchanged spiritually for religion, or religious beliefs which are often times traditional in nature. 

God never established religion and nor did Jesus the Christ.  Religions formed from a misunderstanding of the written word and have remained in this state of confusion for centuries.  Therefore, in my opinion, religion is as useless as a a car wituout a engine. Becaue of religions lack of a solid biblical foundation it consistently change from generation to generation.

2. Lifebydesign profile image62
    Lifebydesignposted 15 years ago

wow great question Dennis, and you may have to do your own homework on this one! lol. I don't have a system as such but would like to comment.
    Here's what I understand:
    Religion doesn't serve a purpose for whichever god/God we choose. Religion provides a structure for an individuals life. Whether we follow or not doesn't affect God one way or the other. Sure we can attract assistance etc but what I'm trying to say is the things we do or don't do don't do not directly have an effect on Him - if that's what you were asking.

The purpose of religion is to gain knowledge of our Creator. He made a covenant that He would never leave us alone, so He sends us guidance and teachings which become religions each in its own time, for a specific purpose, and addressed for the needs of each particular time that it appeared in. One of the purposes of religion ultimately as I understand it is to provide quidelines for our growth and development which will serve us in the next world sort of like reaping what we sow...

The merit of the boundaries are not only for ourselves but also for others. Firstly, as we strive through overcoming and meeting daily struggles, we develop virtues and qualities of character that ennoble us. And because we live in communities - online, whatever, we can be of service to others and show these qualities to our neighbours (the ones of course that give us the most grief are the ones that test us the most:)

And yes, religions are progressive in nature. The spiritual teachings are the same, eg showing love, trustworthiness, but the social teachings change as we advance as a society/planet. An eye for an eye is an example of a social teaching which we don't use anymore as we now have judicial systems and courts. Also the use of the right hand to eat was taught during a time when hygiene was not well understood. Today, as Baha'is, we're taught that the time for Unity of the planet is now. (It wouldn't have been relevant before as the idea that the world is a 'small' place and connected would have been completely foreign).

3. Bard of Ely profile image77
    Bard of Elyposted 15 years ago

To my mind religions are used as control systems and personally I don't need any religion just like John Lennon said in his song "Imagine no religion..."

I speak as a person who in my younger years have been involved with many pathways including Jehovah's Witnesses, Hare Krishnas and Scientology.

I also note that we are the only animal that has religions and gods and goddesses and that humans do not appear to have benefited from this judging by the insanity of the world today. I further note that all the worshipping and praying to these gods achieves very poor results and yet the believers keep on with their beliefs!

I believe in the freedom of people to believe as they wish but personally I would prefer a world with no religions!

1. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well spoke oh barded one!I agree with you, but only 100%

2. profile image0
      Writer Riderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Very good point, Bard. Personally I'm still on my journey of self-discovery so it's difficult to cast everything away that I've learned as a way of life just yet (though I don't like programming). Of course I've discovered new things that I can't discount either and I'm pretty disillusioned with the way members of the church conducted themselves. Pretty confusing...I hope to reach your level of clarity someday.

3. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I further note that all the worshipping and praying to these gods achieves very poor results and yet the believers keep on with their beliefs!

How are you able to judge all worshipping and praying and come up with poor results ,for instance
      Do you know what I pray for ? Did you see Gods answer?

I can beleive in God or I can believe in Nothing
      I dont have enough faith to beleive in Nothing but Ive seen the evidence for Christ.

Great question , seems people are seeking than ever before.

4. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 15 years ago

Bird of Ely:  I also think of that song and imagine no religion.  I think that would be great.  I also have been involved with a number of different religions gaining perspective.  Understanding, ,not God because that is personal, but what draws them to their believes in what these books say.

I think it is unfair to base the whole dynamics of the world religions because of what others did.  Like SJ said.  We all find our way somehow but it's not right to group the whole lot into one bunch as defined by some very shallow understanding of 'religion'. Because there is a human in there, you just have to find them.

Though I do think it is pretty shallow of people to perpetuate the circumstances of religions based on things they or we don't really understand.  Like, we know that most people have not read the Bible, but say they know it, which is very different from someone who has studied much more like Mike perhaps where for him it is not about blind faith.

It's also about learning.  Or for SJ who has found a deeper connection to things through understanding for herself and her personal connection and need for God.

Yeah, I wish there were no religion and we could all be one big group of happy people ready to help and love each other but at the same time, just like most people...

People feel the need to identify with others of similar beliefs, likes etc... If people want to believe in God, then believe in God, if you don't want to, then don't.  But neither should feel hurt from the other that does or doesn't.

There is only a small handful of people who are actually just plain mean and inconsiderate of others beliefs and the majority are good, kind and loving people.

It's like saying the government actually represents what the people really think.  I know they don't represent what I think and most religions don't represent what I think but I like to study, listen, learn and feel comfortable in understanding rather then saying all religion is bad.

After all a life without any sort of rule would be a human free for all with no reprimand for things like murder and stuff. Everything would then just be okay to do no matter what.

And while I know I would be just fine with billions of other people who are naturally good and wouldn't do such things, there is also the others that natrually just don't care or have no self control.

5. Aragon5000 profile image61
    Aragon5000posted 15 years ago

There is a great different between religion and spirituality. While religion seems like a control system spirituality has none of that. So while i am spiritual, i might not be religious

6. reggieTull profile image59
    reggieTullposted 15 years ago

I follow the same line highlight by Aragon5000.  I was brought up with religion and as a child loved the rituals.  As I grew, religion did not answer my questions and I eventually found spirituality.  I think direct experience of oneness through breathing/meditation techniques has been my answer.  I find that religion leads to great disputes, I find contradictions.  But I also agree with Karl Marx's quote that says that organized religion is nothing but an opiate for the masses.  If it works for others, that is fine with me.  I just do not appreciate being told that I am wrong to believe what I believe.

7. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 15 years ago

Religion is a divinely inspired vessle given from God to mankind. It is not a well provisioned rest home for the already perfected, rather it is a learning labritory for the imperfect.

I don't believe so, I believe religion is self evidently the stories passed on unwritten by a lot of illiterate domineering old sexist men to control people to their own ends and subjugate women..

2. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Nice lines. smile

I had gleaned from what you have claimed that you are already perfect.

1. mohitmisra profile image60

Religions teach one to meditate and gain enlightenment,after that you become the master.Like Vivekananda said "its fine to be born into a religion but not to die with one"
          Onusonus your philosophy is perfect. smile

I did not reach meditation through religion.

You dont have to, neither did I.

Meditation leads me away from religion to individuation, not towards religion.

Religion teaches you that god is within you and they guide you to become a master.I see good in all religions.You agreed that Jesus had some amazing words and teachings- thats the religion.

I see bigotry and sexism.

8. DennisBarker profile image61

Along with the bigotry,sexism and psychosis was there some kind of inspiration (from whatever source).I have a tendency to write without thinking too hard and then adapt what I write over time to make it closer to what I actually wanted to say.

Does divine inspiration allow for this kind of incremental improvement? or is everything set in stone without the option of community feedback and concensus to genuinely create rules which benefit everyone and allow everyone freedom of choice within reason.

1. Lifebydesign profile image62
      Lifebydesignposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think both - 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration, I mean feedback.

Sometimes the improvement swings too wide, in which case trial and error and more feedback gets us to a semblance of balance.

9. profile image0

It is a tragedy that there are those who cannot see past the dark ages of history. It was a true misrepresentation of divinely inspired ideology. The people of today however have come back into the understanding of freedom with a certain stigma against those who formerly oppressed, who are long dead, and mostly forgotten.
    We gather ourselves to uplift and inspire; and to organize with the common purpose to make the world a better place, not by oppression, but through charity and good will for the building up of God's kingdom throughout the eternities.

Your Gods kingdom is repression itself. Religionists deny rights to others, try to control governments, oppress millions of people and destroy the rights of children to be free of such sad indoctrination.
      You will have a hard time separating any god from religion. Religion owns god.

1. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Atheism is a lack of understanding. You will have a hard time selling it to me.

Yes I think you are right, I would have a hard time selling it to you. Anyone who worships the tooth fairy is not likely to see anything outside their own beliefs.

1. profile image0

I cant help but notice that the Era in history which has caused the most suffering and bloodshed is the twentieth, (The age of Science and reasoning.) as for the suffering children, you are right children can suffer if they are permited to experiance life, unlike the "evolved" state that we are now in where life is optional.

There has been bloodshed all the way through the history of mankind, it is just that we did not have the numbers on the planet before, or the high tech killing machines before, or the press to get it on the news every night. Mans inhumanity to man has survived inside and outside religion because it has nothing to do with religion per se, it is the little bit of lizard brain at the back of the brain that is the problem for humans. We have only two responses, fight and flight in this trigger response.The human condition will prevail until mankind either bi-passes this part of the brain(galvanic probe) or changes the balance of brain chemistry to allow for normal brain function. For more on the subject you could read "Trouble at the mill" It is a scientific explanantion of the human condition, and includes such luminaries as Prof. Hawkings as a contributor.

1. profile image0

The key factor is men acting against one another, not God who lists not to interfear with the standard of free will. But I say that you should give thanks to that heavenly being who created you, and preserved you, and is now preserving you even from one moment to the next by lending you breath!

Your god does not give me anything, for me this orrible little psycho could not raise a fart, let alone give me breath!The god of religion is a narrow minded figment of the imagination that belongs to a frightened group of ignorant old men who were illiterate.

1. profile image0

God gives life, and before you were born you chose to live here, to experiance trials and adversity for your own personal growth.

2. Shauna.Gould profile image60
                    Shauna.Gouldposted 15 years agoin reply to this

What a sad world you must live in, to have nothing to believe in.

Faith is something that gives people hope. It is not something seen or something you can hold in your hand, it is a kind of peace and security that is felt in the heart. This faith helps you through the storms of life and gives you something to hold onto.

This reasurance is a gift from God called grace. God is not religion, He is love, compassion, goodness, strength, and etc., but he is also a punishing God as a parent is to a disobedient child, he can be angered, and he does show wrath.

God has given us freewill, therefore we choose, he does not force us to him, nor does he hold us down and shove this into us. We come to Him because of a lack in ourselves. This lack can be an emptiness in the heart or something that is unfulfilled. It is different for each person. But when you come to God on your own of your OWN freewill, you feel your burdens are lifted, you feel peace, and you do not feel alone.

It appears from your posts that you are an angry person, someone who is lacking in your heart. I do hope that somehow and some where that one day you will find the peace you have been searching for. I will pray for this for you.

May God bless you even if you do not believe, because whether you believe or not you are his child and he does love you as do the children of God.

10. DennisBarker profile image61

Please restrict your comments to some kind of relationship with the original question guys, or comment elsewhere.

I don't see the usefulness of this kind of debate here.

1. countrywomen profile image60

Dennis- It sometimes happens in religion forums when people get very personal discussing there beliefs.

PS: I did try in this thread to answer your original post to the best of ability smile

I liked Onusonus  answer. smile didn't mean to mess up your thread. smile

11. DennisBarker profile image61

No worries, it just seems to get a bit out of hand. I'm used to one line comments in other places that become conversational, as long as it all stays respectful.

Personal experience is what makes things interesting for me because we all have different versions.

I am sorry ,should have controlled myself.
      This is my take on Religions-took me years to write this poem and was by far the most difficult to write. "smile
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Religionspoem

12. Kid_A profile image60
    Kid_Aposted 15 years ago

Yes, for keeping the masses in their place.

In the case of Christianity it proved a useful moral doctrine for defining rules in which western society now abides by.

13. caderade2 profile image58
    caderade2posted 15 years ago

Yes, if you try to live the religion how it's supposed to be lived with true sincerity of heart.

14. Make  Money profile image68
    Make Moneyposted 15 years ago

Good way to start a new page caderade2. smile

Of course religion is useful.  How else would we learn about God.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Clears some of the dross out too. Just imagine the sort of people we would have around if not for the religious wars. Gays. Atheists.  All sorts. wink

1. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I cannot believe you still believe that all wars are because of religion. 

Seems to me they never were about religion, that was just a guise, they were and are about power and land and money.  But go ahead and blame religions, everyone else does. big_smile

So religions fight over power and land and money then?

Not that the religion is to blame. Right?..........

1. profile image0

No baby!  People are to blame.  Gosh!  lol big_smile

And where exactly do you think religion comes from? lol

1. profile image0

The same place anti- religions come from. big_smile big_smile

Thank you. big_smile

1. profile image0

Your welcome. big_smile

2. caderade2 profile image58
                    caderade2posted 15 years agoin reply to this

They actually come from 2 opposite places

2. countrywomen profile image60

You missed out communists. When I was small my father once said that hollywood is a subtle way of spreading American ideology the world over. All the war movies show the Americans/British as the good folks and the Japanese/German/Russians as the bad guys. I hope at least now we can try to look at each person as a human first before looking at peripheral background. smile

PS: I have lots of American/British friends whom I admire and adore a lot. My comment wasn't meant to hurt anyone.

Hollywood was a propaganda machine.........

Still is wink

1. profile image0

Werd! big_smile

1. countrywomen profile image60

WOW!! Being a Britisher you agree that war movies are skewed/biased. Btw do you think this "propaganda" is consciously undertaken upon the insistence of the government or independent(purely based on the producer/director's visions). But then as they say History is usually depicted by the way the Victors want it to be portrayed. smile

No question about it. Check out Errol Flynn, Audie Murphy and John Wayne.

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
                  GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years agoin reply to this
                2. countrywomen profile image60

I have only seen John Wayne but wasn't aware if they were "propaganda". So you really think the govt officially interfered with movie folks? I guess my dad's theory was somewhat correct than. Actually since he was in the Indian Navy he had lots of Russian friends hence he may also be slightly biased towards the Russians. smile

2. profile image0

Probably from the perspective of the writer.  The writers own understanding, knowledge, witness, etc...  If a German writer was pro Nazi'ism, then he/she is likely to portray the humane and compassionate side of a Nazi... If he was a jew, he is likely to portray them as non human monsters etc...

15. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
    GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years ago

Sure, religion is useful. It gets a bunch of Knights and Muslims into battle, whereupon said Knights take home riches and knowledge of far away lands.

It makes people kick others out of their country, like those silly Pilgrims. Look at America now!

It can make for some very good plays, like The Crucible, too.

G|M

16. countrywomen profile image60
    countrywomenposted 15 years ago

G|M- Thanks for that info I will check it out.

Sandra- Yes that is also true when the movie is made from the writer's perspective and later produced/directed. I was just curious about the govt interference.

Anyway friends I hope I am not guilty of side tracking this topic(if I was responsible then sorry) and before somebody says http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/4835/stayontopiccx9.gif I will leave and get back to work http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/meganwonderdog/smilies/compguy.gif

17. profile image0

I see no other fascit in the world that benifits the growth of mankind, that spreads good will, brotherly love, and most of all charity towards those who are less fortunate in both monitary and for the nurturing of the human spirit. There is nothing more benevolent than the educational walls that promote the development of the soul.

We must have read different books! I see and read the hate and loathing spewed out by religion that has nothing to do with soul.Religion is homophobic, exclusive, hateful, vengeful, and just plain stupid.The god of the bible for example is a tiny little hateful psychotic full of threats and condemnation. Even those who are illiterate are blamed for not following this pathetic invisible entity.

1. profile image0

I think you see only what you want to see, there is much love and tolerance for all of God's creation written in those pages. I see people who took up arms only to defend their livelyhood and their families, in defence of freedom and thier religion.

1. profile image0
          SirDentposted 15 years agoin reply to this

2Co 4:3  But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
          2Co 4:4  In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

It is not their fault, Onus, if they do not see.

1. profile image0

This, I suppose, is why the Saviour spoke in parables.

Obviously you read very selectively, I cannot see how you can read and not see.I did not say there is nothing in the bible that is not hateful, just that it is full of hate, and if you can't read it, then you are blind by choice.What's next? The condescending line "Forgive them Lord for they know not what they do" I don't need your sanctimonious biblical quotes.

The essence of the Holy Bible and Holy Quran is love.

You must have read a different book.The Quoran and bible are works of hate and intolerance.

You have been unable to interpret them correctly.

2. mandybeau profile image58
        mandybeauposted 15 years agoin reply to this

How very true, you could start a Religion based on eating only rice, and a whole lot of nutters would join.
        Religion, is largely about making money, Business people join up to get the clients..... Whatever it was it has so lost its origins, I don't want to know.

18. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 15 years ago

No arrogance is your forte not mine. It is you who arrogantly asserts your knowledge and condescendingly tell the world you are special. That is the epitome of arrogance.

The world ranks me, you rank yourself.

.Who is arrogant the business writer telling the spiritual writer ranked over Bibles and Qurans he is talking non sense ahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahah
        now I will stop since the person who started this thread would like an intelligent debate and not your nonsense.

You are full of it, and arrogant beyond credulity the world ranks you? Since when did anyone "rank you" You are just another religious fanatic.

2. earnestshub profile image79
  19. apeksha profile image67
    apekshaposted 15 years ago

sometimes useful and so many times not...
    religions are defect of world as worthless...

20. mohamedhmm profile image60
    mohamedhmmposted 15 years ago

yes, we are as human; we have a mission here; worship one god, follow him, doing good deeds; as if we didn't we would be lost; and we would getting in trouble, like AIDS, swine flue; all of these just signs for our lost:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/13826

21. profile image0
    Direxmdposted 15 years ago

A greater purpose? No, not really.  I hope God may greet me at his "gates" (whatever significance that holds), but I probably won't wait 1,000 years to meet him.  He has better things to do than serve a puny creature such as I.  I'm sure he has much more important things to do; such as creating concepts and universes that I could not (nor any human) could understand .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 percent of.

After enlightenment I agree with your statement, I cannot understand God in totality and how he creates. All I understand is that I am his puppet and he does what he wants to do with me smile

"How are you creating is what I want to know,
      That is the only way I can grow."

reached a dead end smile

22. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 15 years ago

Wow I found that all kinda heavy....

This is the way I see things partaining to god...

Hard to explain without go off at the deep end

I believe he/she/it the god of the bible has time for me and
        will listen and understand me, when sometimes others cant.

That god has a purpose for us all and the earth, and whatever we do that purpose will not change..

That we have life because of god and that we have also free
        will and we can use it as we like.....
        He gives us qualities to imatate and it is up to us whether
        we develop or we dont....

I

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)