Is necessary for a Christian to keep the Sabbath?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Traci-Ann Dennisposted 12 years ago

Is keeping the Sabbath an important part of being a Christian? I was reading the crucifixion story again and I realized that the holy mother Mary refrained from anointing the savior because the Sabbath was approaching. Good Friday would have been the day he died right? Then that would make Saturday the day Mary observed as the Sabbath. But we all worship on Sundays; so is any of this important or am I just over thing this?

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Please point me to specific Chapter and verse where it says Mary was "holy" and to where she avoiding anointing Jesus because the Sabbath was approaching?  I must have overlooked those Scriptures, to my own chagrin, and would like to read them again..?

By the way, I agree with BobMonger about it not mattering which specific day we observe the Sabbath;  but yes it should be observed.  Maybe elaborate later...

1. profile image0
        Traci-Ann Dennisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was reading from the Gospel of Luke and arrived at my questions when I read through chapter 23:54-56 the other three gospels also correspond. I guess it is something easily overlooked if you don't pay close attention by the way I was not citing scripture when titled the mother of Jesus as being Holy.

1. Jerami profile image58
          Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But if Jesus Christ died for our sins?!  and he done away with the old law? and started a new Law?  Where is that list of laws that were substituted?

2000 years ago jesus died for them sins which I committed 20 years ago!

I'm A thinking,!?  .. that he died for them sins which I'm getting ready to do at some time in the future; as long as I'm A-doing the best that I can, given the set of circumstances that I'm A trying to pull myself up out of.

Whatcha think?

1. Disappearinghead profile image61
            Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Jerami.

2. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think we gotta do that.  ,,,,  even though,
      even a steam engine needs a day of rest and maintence once in a while.

SSOoooo  yes     everybody needs to rest every seven daYS! ...  at least!

2. BobMonger profile image59
    BobMongerposted 12 years ago

I too have had to come to grips with how and when we observe the Sabbath. Out here in the wilds of Nevada (USA) mining is the life-blood of the local economy, but with mining comes rotating shifts that show no deference to days of the week. Many of my Christian friends might only get one Sunday a month to worship so, in many cases, their Sabbath gets observed on a Tuesday, or Monday, or Friday,or whenever.I have been asked many times if this is allowed  by scripture and the obvious answer is "no." But what is a person to do if they're livelihood depends on a job that "floats" days off? My answer to them is that it is good they do observe the Sabbath at all even if it may not be on the correct day of the week. Better to worship late (or early) than not at all! We pray through Jesus that the Lord forgives us our sins and hope that someday we can all have Sunday (or Saturday, depends on your faith) off to worship. This is the best we can do until this this sinful world we live in can be made right.

3. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

Is necessary for a Christian to keep the Sabbat

???????

My last answer was in haste!    forgive me?
    If it is nessary?  ??  ...   who is it nessary for?

and what is the propper way to observe the Sabath  ,,  and ..  according to who ?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)