jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Is necessary for a Christian to keep the Sabbath?

1. profile image0
    Traci-Ann Dennisposted 5 years ago

Is keeping the Sabbath an important part of being a Christian? I was reading the crucifixion story again and I realized that the holy mother Mary refrained from anointing the savior because the Sabbath was approaching. Good Friday would have been the day he died right? Then that would make Saturday the day Mary observed as the Sabbath. But we all worship on Sundays; so is any of this important or am I just over thing this?

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Please point me to specific Chapter and verse where it says Mary was "holy" and to where she avoiding anointing Jesus because the Sabbath was approaching?  I must have overlooked those Scriptures, to my own chagrin, and would like to read them again..?

By the way, I agree with BobMonger about it not mattering which specific day we observe the Sabbath;  but yes it should be observed.  Maybe elaborate later...

1. profile image0
        Traci-Ann Dennisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I was reading from the Gospel of Luke and arrived at my questions when I read through chapter 23:54-56 the other three gospels also correspond. I guess it is something easily overlooked if you don't pay close attention by the way I was not citing scripture when titled the mother of Jesus as being Holy.

1. Jerami profile image73
          Jeramiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

But if Jesus Christ died for our sins?!  and he done away with the old law? and started a new Law?  Where is that list of laws that were substituted?

2000 years ago jesus died for them sins which I committed 20 years ago!

I'm A thinking,!?  .. that he died for them sins which I'm getting ready to do at some time in the future; as long as I'm A-doing the best that I can, given the set of circumstances that I'm A trying to pull myself up out of.

Whatcha think?

1. Disappearinghead profile image85
            Disappearingheadposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree with you Jerami.

2. Jerami profile image73
      Jeramiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't think we gotta do that.  ,,,,  even though,
      even a steam engine needs a day of rest and maintence once in a while.

SSOoooo  yes     everybody needs to rest every seven daYS! ...  at least!

2. BobMonger profile image60
    BobMongerposted 5 years ago

I too have had to come to grips with how and when we observe the Sabbath. Out here in the wilds of Nevada (USA) mining is the life-blood of the local economy, but with mining comes rotating shifts that show no deference to days of the week. Many of my Christian friends might only get one Sunday a month to worship so, in many cases, their Sabbath gets observed on a Tuesday, or Monday, or Friday,or whenever.I have been asked many times if this is allowed  by scripture and the obvious answer is "no." But what is a person to do if they're livelihood depends on a job that "floats" days off? My answer to them is that it is good they do observe the Sabbath at all even if it may not be on the correct day of the week. Better to worship late (or early) than not at all! We pray through Jesus that the Lord forgives us our sins and hope that someday we can all have Sunday (or Saturday, depends on your faith) off to worship. This is the best we can do until this this sinful world we live in can be made right.

3. Jerami profile image73
    Jeramiposted 5 years ago

Is necessary for a Christian to keep the Sabbat

???????

My last answer was in haste!    forgive me?
    If it is nessary?  ??  ...   who is it nessary for?

and what is the propper way to observe the Sabath  ,,  and ..  according to who ?

working