What is wrong with calling Jesus "Jesus?"

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Eric Newland profile image61
    Eric Newlandposted 12 years ago

Is all of this "Yeshua" and "Yahuwshuwa" some aversion to translating his name into its English equivalent?

If that's the case you might want to remember that spelling his name in Roman letters at all is still a phonetic translation and thus still inaccurate. If you really want to be hardcore you should call him יְהוֹשֻׁעַ and never settle for less.

1. Disappearinghead profile image59
      Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jesus was not his name, like my name is Kevin and not Dave. The name Jesus is a transliteration to the Greek, then further changed into Latin nd English.

Yashua, became Yeshua because of Jewish superstition that you couldn't say God's name, the "Ya".
      Greeks has no 'sh' sound so Yeshua became Yesua.
      Then because names ending in 'a' were feminine in Greek, and 's' were masculine, Yesua became Yesus.
      In Latin 'I' was equivalent to 'Y' so Yesus became Iesus.
      About 600 years ago, the letter 'J' was introduced to English and was favoured for its more masculine sound, so Iesus became Jesus, Iohn became John, and Iacob became Jacob.

Personally it probably doesn't matter 'Jesus' or 'Yahshua', except when it comes to unbiblical worship songs like "there's power in the name of Jesus" because:
      1) there is no power in a made up name.
      2) his name is used by the church as an incantation or a phrase tagged on to the end of a prayer to get God's rubber stamp.
      3) in the name of Jesus is living a lifestyle, being his ambassador, it's a position of authority, not some silly phrase tritely trotted out.

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
        couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great information regarding word/letter history.

Maybe the symbolic 'name' of the Son of Man/God is enough to give power to those who utter it. Like have faith the size of a mustard seed.

2. Chris Neal profile image79
        Chris Nealposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree that your history is good, but I think you've missed it when you say that the name is used as an incantation. Anybody who takes their faith seriously knows better than that.

2. Abihahyil Shawmar profile image60
      Abihahyil Shawmarposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's important because there is No Other Name by which you can be saved by.
      Act 4:12  “And there is no deliverance in anyone else, for there is No Other Name under the heaven given among men by which we need to be saved.”
      Joe 2:32  “And it shall be that everyone who calls on the Name of YaHuWaH shall be delivered.
      Yahuwshuwa means YaHuWaH Saves, Jesus doesn't mean anything. Yahuwshuwa was Never called Jesus while here on earth. Tradition is the reason the name Jesus is used today. Iesous (the Greek form of Jesus) isn't in the ancient Greek NT manuscripts either. Look it up : )

Eric Newlandposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just don't believe that you can petition God and not be heard, simply because the natural evolution of language means you refer to Him vocally and textually in a different way than was used in past millennia. The Name of God, I think, transcends language.

Not that I don't think it's beneficial to learn His original Hebrew name and reflect on it as well.

2. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 12 years ago

Right on man.i love you!

3. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 12 years ago

Actually they like to make up all those retarded names because itmakes them feel special

4. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I'd have to go with DH on this one. I think it begins to matter only by the emphasis people attempt to put on the name.

It's like Jehovah Witnesses. They will tell you that you aren't right with God because you don't call him by name. It's ridiculous. They use the wrong name. When you point that out they ask their elders and the elders say 'True. But God knows who they are talking about.' This obviously only works for them.

It doesn't matter in the final analysis. A rose is a rose, by whatever name. You can name it whatever you want. It doesn't change the nature of the flower.

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Exactly.

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sounds right to me.  Jesus existed long before the earth did and presumably had a name that was not Jewish (no Jews them!).

He came to earth and took a label familiar to the people then.  If you were addressing Him directly it might make a little sense to use that label given at birth (even though it is not His actual name), but beyond that it can't matter.

5. hookedhuntress profile image61
    hookedhuntressposted 12 years ago

Eric,

The subject of the name of Jesus has become sort of a pet peeve of mine.I have a hard time not commenting on hubs with this subject.

I think the major problem with all this special name none sense is that people are not understanding exactly who Jesus was/is.

To a New Testament believer Jesus was/is the Messiah.

Jesus was God incarnate.

Jesus was God in the flesh..to try to separate him from God would then separate him from his deity.

The trinity is a difficult concept to grasp.

In Matthew Jesus tells satan, "you shall not tempt the Lord your God" in reference to Himself as "Lord" and "God".
    Matthew 4:7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

Jesus said He is with us always, even unto the end of the world. Only God is omnipresent.

Matthew 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

John 8:58 - Jesus says, "Before Abraham was, I AM." Exodus 3:14 - "I AM" means "YHWH," which means God. 

People want to do word gymnastics with translations and transliterations which is all so unnecessary and only serves as a distraction.
    They think you need to have some exact name or you are talking to and or worshiping  some false god.

There is only one God and you don't accidentally worship a wrong one.

Deuteronomy 6:4  Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:

You don't accidentally worship the wrong one because there is only One.

Isaiah 44:6 Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

People think if you don't use some correct name you are talking to the wrong God.

There is only one God.

Ephesians 4:6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

There is a whole scared name movement out there that people are falling for.

If everyone knew Him only as Yeshua, there would have been no need to write His Name in its other transliterated forms of Greek and Latin on the sign above Him when He was crucified.

John 19:19-20 And Pilate also wrote a title and put it on the cross. And having been written, it was: JESUS THE NAZARENE, THE KING OF THE JEWS. 20. Therefore, many of the Jews read this title, because the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city. And it had been written in Hebrew, in Greek, in Latin.[LITV]

John 19:19 And Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross. And the writing was, JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS. 20 This title then read many of the Jews: for the place where Jesus was crucified was nigh to the city: and it was written in Hebrew, and Greek, and Latin. [KJV]

Hebrew: Yeshua haNotzri Melech haYehudim

Greek: Iesous ho Nazoraios ho Basileus ton Ioudaion

Latin: Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum

Every language was created by God, so every language has it's own words to address God.To say he can only be addressed by using the pronunciation of the Hebrew language is quite ridiculous.

Eric Newlandposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree. Especially since there seems to be some implied elitism in all the name nitpicking. This unspoken, "I call Him a way cooler name than you do, so I must be a better Christian."

2. Disappearinghead profile image59

Similarly Allah is the Arabic word for God and as there is only one God as you say, muslims worship the same God as we do, albeit they see Him differently. Yet I've met so many Christians who say otherwise.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
        Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Was he english? The Brits say he was. If your name was Michael, would you mind if we all called you Miguel? In Hispanic, Jesus is pronounced 'Hay-soos'. Maybe he doesn't care what we call him, as long as we call him. Just don't call him late for the judgement day!smile

2. Chris Neal profile image79

Allah is Arabic for "the God." This does not mean "the God" like we would use it, but that Allah is the only god, the only one. Their conception of Allah as aloof and not entering directly into the affairs of men is different from the Jewish and Christian concepts of a God who intervenes directly in human affairs on a (somewhat) regular basis.

"Islam rejects characterizing God in any human form or depicting Him as favoring certain individuals or nations on the basis of wealth, power or race. He created the human-beings as equals. They may distinguish themselves and get His favor through virtue and piety only" - http://www.sultan.org/articles/god.html

The Christian idea of God includes the concept of Grace, the idea that a merciful God will have mercy on humans even though they don't deserve it and cannot ever earn it. No amount of piety will ever earn you God's merit. In Islam men can earn their way, although they can never be sure in this life that they have (except for those who believe in Islamic martyrdom.)

And also the concept of the Trinity is Shirk, a sin above all others in Islam. "Shirk literally means partnership, sharing or associating,2 but Islamically it refers to the act of assigning partners to Allaah in whatever form it may take...This category of Shirk refers to either the belief that others share Allaah's Lordship over creation as His equal or near equal, or to the belief that there exists no Lord over creation at all."-http://whatisshirk.com/

In Islam Allah is one, indivisible, not begetting nor begotten (unlike Jesus, who in the Christian Trinity is God the Son,) and never, ever shares any aspect of himself with anyone.

So it's not just many words for the same thing. The Christian God and the Islamic Allah are very, very different.

1. Disappearinghead profile image59

Hang on, God says in the bible that besides him there is no other. To the Muslim, the God is the only God, how is that different? Now pick up an Arabic bible, and it will not say God, but will say Allah, because that's the Arabic word.

Now I don't disagree with you that the Islamic view of God is quite different from the Christian God, but it's the same God as there is only one. My colleagues have a quite different view of me to that of my family, but I'm still one Disappearinghead.

Now in Islam Allah is one, indivisible. This is true, because Judaism and Jesus agree.
          Deuteronomy 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.
          Mark 12:  28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”  29 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.

1. Chris Neal profile image79

I'm frankly unsure of what exactly you're driving at. Pick up an Arabic copy of the Christian Bible and you're might be holding an illegal document, because many Muslim countries, rightly understanding that the Muslim concept of Allah is not compatible with Christianity, hold the name of Allah to be too holy for use by the Christians.

Let me put it this way, it could be argued (although many would violently disagree) that Christians and Jews worship the same God. It cannot be argued that the Christians, who worship the Trinitarian God which includes the begotten Son, worship the same God as the Muslims, who believe that to say God either begets or is begotten is a horrible sin and will damn you to Hell. They actually have Jesus saying that He never said He was begotten and would never say such a thing. The two are simply not compatible no matter how anyone tries to spin it.

6. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

And it's not english, it's Greek.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)