Should Jon Jones have taken the fight against Chael Sonnen?Should the UFC Force

1. dexhunterz profile image57
    dexhunterzposted 5 years ago

Should Jon Jones have taken the fight against Chael Sonnen?Should the UFC Force fighters to fight?

I can see Jon Jones not wanting to take a fight on 8 days notice against Chael Sonnen, due to the Dan Henderson injury. That being said, Chael also would be taken the same fight on short notice, and in fact, at least Jon Jones had been actively training. So my question is, instead on CANCELLING UFC 151, should the UFC have forced Jon Jones to take that fight? Or maybe take away his title, or some other form of penalty.

2. S.Graveson profile image65
    S.Gravesonposted 5 years ago

Any sort of penalty would have been very harsh as it wasn't Jones' fault that Henderson got injured. They should however have had a contingency plan of sorts. I certainly don't hold it against Jones that he didn't take the fight at 8 notice, he's been training for one type of fighter so it's hardly "fair" that he has to face a different fighter.

Saying that, I do expect a "punishment" of sorts for Jones even if it's not a directly visible punishment

3. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image83
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 5 years ago

I think the UFC should have told Jon Jones to fight Chael or lose his title, if that was legally possible. That's sounds harsh, but you can't be cancelling huge events like that when there are options. Jon Jones is a great fighter but I'm beginning to think he's a chump, what with the DUI several months back and now this. Who knows, but I think Jones would have had an easier fight with Chael than Henderson.

working