jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

What personal steps have you taken to guard against a terrorist attack?

1. liftandsoar profile image80
    liftandsoarposted 4 years ago

What personal steps have you taken to guard against a terrorist attack?

Obviously the Boston bombing is on everyone's mind. We grieve over the loss of life and limb; and celebrate the capture of the second perpetrator.  Other than support further governmental steps to secure our country, what personal measures might we take to protect ourselves?

2. Zubair Ahmed profile image80
    Zubair Ahmedposted 4 years ago

Try and find out why those two people wanted to carry out this attack?
    why they did what they did and how is it that after spending billions on security did the agencies tasked to protect the public fail in this way?

If we are all able to understand what drives normal people to develop such hatred that they are willing to do such barbaric acts against innocent people...that would act as the best  source of security.

In-action is the same as supporting the wrong, change that equation find out why people develop this kind of mentality and we'll win this battle together.

1. Ericdierker profile image58
      Ericdierkerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I devoted a year to an "academy" that the US government approved just a bit after 9/11 I got involved in security. Our system is broke, we decided not to hire real people to help solve the problem.

2. liftandsoar profile image80
      liftandsoarposted 4 years agoin reply to this

As a good Muslim, perhaps you can help me understand why Muslim Americans don't publicly and loudly condemn terrorism which has often hijacked your faith.  To remain silent is to condone.

3. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

Terrorist? Natural disaster's I've thought of and planned for but terrorist... Maybe some gas masks, a hidden bomb shelter, fire proof suits, a canned food room, etc.

4. Diana Grant profile image93
    Diana Grantposted 4 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7914207_f260.jpg

I'm very watchful when moving around in public places like airports, stations and busy London streets.  If ever I see a bag that looks unaccompanied (like I saw one in our local post office a couple of weeks ago) I look around for a minute or two to see if anyone comes back for it and, if not, I always shout out in a loud voice "does this bag belong to anyone?" On one occasion a station officer came to inpect, and on most occasions the owner does come back to collect it very quickly, looking apologetic.  I don't need to tell them off, because they recognize for themselves the discomfiture of the people round about who are all staring.

It's important not to be shy, even if it makes you look a bit of an alarmist idiot. Just shout out.  I have been caught up in 3 bomb scares at various times, and all bystanders can do is to be as vigilant as possible.

5. Lor's Stories profile image60
    Lor's Storiesposted 4 years ago

Stay away from crowds.
    But I don't think any of us are safe.
    It can happen anywhere.
    I was in NY and people were shouting about one ethnic group.
    I grabbed my friend and we just got out of the area.
    No place is safe because our laws are to relaxed.
    If we want to be safe we need to find a way to keep large cities safe.
    Best answer I know is go to places that you are familiar to you.
    And close to home.

1. Ericdierker profile image58
      Ericdierkerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

they closed our park for thirty days after Newton. Isn't that weird. I live over 2,000 miles away. The closure was caused by an insurance issue. Who would insure a playground after that?

6. Caleb DRC profile image80
    Caleb DRCposted 4 years ago

I believe the Bible, God's Word, teaches that to appropriate God's protection we are to draw our soul to the poor as Job did, and to wholly follow His commandments, including putting our "treasure" where Christ said to put it.

working