jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

NBA player Jason Collins has came out as being gay, Do you think more Pro Player

1. Alphadogg16 profile image91
    Alphadogg16posted 4 years ago

NBA player Jason Collins has came out as being gay, Do you think more Pro Players will come out now?

2. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 4 years ago

I'd think so (although some may wait awhile until the whole news/new-ness aspect of his making an announcement about it wears off).   I hadn't even realized that this was something that was still kept hidden among professional athletes.  I guess would have just assumed that it was something people knew off-camera (or mic or in public interviews) but didn't talk about because usually when people are talking about pro athletes they're talking about the sport, itself.

I don't really think there's going to be a big rush of people making any announcements about themselves, though.  I'd guess it will be a kind of gradual thing (but not something so gradual that the majority of gay athletes will still be in the closet several years from now).

Someone on TV said something that I thought was nice, and that was that a lot of players have buddies who are gay, so their being supportive of Collins isn't at all a surprising thing.

3. btrbell profile image92
    btrbellposted 4 years ago

It may give others the confidence to come out as well. Often people wait for someone else to help pave their way.

4. ocbill profile image58
    ocbillposted 4 years ago

I don't think so. It is his choice and the other people's choice as well. They probably don't want to let people know their preference or preferences (bi). Good for him though. As long as you can play the game, you are welcome to be here.