I'm so mad. I want my money back!

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (23 posts)
  1. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 15 years ago

I can't believe it! My alarm clock/radio stopped working today! It only lasted 30 years. mad I want warranty! I want my money back!
    Actually, if I did get my money back, I doubt it would be much I don't even remeber how much I paid that long ago. hmm The truth is, it still works, but not as an alarm, just clock and radio. sad
    Really, though, how good is that? 30 yrs? I wonder how long the new one will last?
    Have you any stories of unexpected results with things you have purchased?

2. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 15 years ago

The new one will probably last 11 and a half months.

And I salute your old alarm clock. It did well.

I had an old fan, one with metal blades and the chrome 'guard' around it with gaps big enough to fit your fist through. I actually found it on the side of the road a few years ago. It still went. In fact it lasted for another year but died due to a short in the wiring of the house we were living in. I don't think the fan itself caused it. But I got a lot of good use out of it. I wish I had it for the first 30 or so years of its life.

3. JamaGenee profile image79
    JamaGeneeposted 15 years ago

I once paid a lot for a toaster, more than I normally do.  Established name brand, should've worked forever.  Went kaput 31 days later (one day after store's return period ended, imagine that). Went to WallyWorld, bought a $6 cheapie to tide me over until I could get a better one.  That was 7 years ago and it still works like a charm.  Go figure.

4. JamaGenee profile image79
    JamaGeneeposted 15 years ago

Want to add I've had the best luck with Things That Last A Long Time at yard sales in "good" neighborhoods.  My thought being if it doesn't work very long, I've only paid $1 for it, so I'm always surprised that these are the things that last "forever".

And for what it's worth, I still use my mother's waffle iron that by the looks of it was made in the 1930s.  Chrome, Art Deco-ish. It's at least as old as I am (I was a 'surprise' baby after my parents had been married 15 years). Has a separate power cord that looks like it should be #1 on a poster for fire hazards, but I've never had any shorts or blown fuses from it.  They knew how to make 'em back then, that's for sure!

5. profile image0
    C. C. Riterposted 15 years ago

I only hope my pacemaker/defibrillator batteries last more than the expected due date. I don't want cut on again, also hope my abdominal stent lasts 30 years. both of these implants cost over 250,000 bucks. not yer typical Wally World stuff here.

aka-djposted 15 years agoin reply to this

big_smile
      You won't find one of them at a yard sale. lol Much less for $1

6. profile image0

haha, not hardly. i told my wife when I'm gone to sell it, the pacemaker, on Ebay. haha

My dad just had a defib.implanted 6weeks ago. Cost, about $20,000.00 + operation costs. (Covered by Medicare)

1. profile image0
        C. C. Riterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That's not  bad. Mine is 3 wire and it took him 7 hours to get it installed. My veins are just shot, too tiny he said. It will have to come out when I'm cremated, it would explode, so i just wonder what they will do with it. hmmm

HHMMM all right.
          Maybe there's an untapped market for second-hand(er...heart) uses. hmm
          Sorry, can't help myself big_smile

7. profile image0

I don't know, i was just joking tho', haha would  be funny tho'. hah

8. TravelMonkey profile image60
    TravelMonkeyposted 15 years ago

I guess that a lot of auto nuts would have had motors that have out lived their life expectancy.

In the context of this thread, these mtors would have had to run (like forever) without ANY intervention, (ie. repairs or mods). Now that would be something!!!

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I run a 17 year old Renault Clio that has not had an oil change in 11 years. smile

It is just about dead and I am much pissed that I now need to buy another car.

1. JamaGenee profile image79
          JamaGeneeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Might run little longer if ya'd change the oil...  lol

2. JamaGenee profile image79
        JamaGeneeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

A neighbor bought a brand-new Ford back in the 70's and meticulously adhered to the recommended maintenance schedule.  Had it for 10 years without having to replace *any* parts except spark plugs and oil filter, etc.  Also kept the interior spotless, no dings on the outside, no wrecks. In other words, even though it had 200,000+ miles on the odometer, it was technically in the same condition as when he drove it off the showroom floor.  Ford was so impressed, they bought it back for a bit more than he paid for it, to use in a traveling showcase of models from different eras.

9. cindyvine profile image69
    cindyvineposted 15 years ago

My lovely 1 month old dvd player packed up yesterday.  I love Chinese quality!

10. rmshdc profile image57
    rmshdcposted 15 years ago

I got one WIFE about 19 years back.  Surprisingly still she is the same sweet and lovable.  And as a bonus, now I have two cute growing up kids! lol

All other things I purchased, isn’t working as it should be.  I have changed my computer 4 times in past 13 years and the next change is due now.

I'd have to give you the prize (if there was one) for top response (so far). smile Love it.
      Mine got better over the (nearly) 30yrs. smile

11. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 15 years ago

Yes, I have - I bought a green jumper back in 1969 and another Fairisle woollen tanktop same year. Both had been worn many many times and were still going strong in 2004 when I left them at my father's house in Wales thinking I wouldn't need them in Tenerife. On that score I was wrong but I wasn't wrong with my choice of clothes to buy all those years ago. Modern clothes in my experience lose buttons, become so thin after a short time they rip, lose their colour and fall apart and are nowhere near as good as clothes from the 60s and 70s!

12. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

My Granny bought a washing machine in 1978, and used it for the rest of her life. It's currently in my parents' country house, and going strong!

13. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 15 years ago

My parents bought me a Toshiba laptop for high school graduation.. It stopped working halfway through finals second semester. I also got a Toshiba TV for my birthday around the same time, it now shuts off whenever it feels like it. I've "fixed" it a couple times, I refuse to buy another one.  I'm done with Toshiba. I now sport a Mac. Three years, never had a problem.

I also had a blender catch on fire once. Oh that was fun. I was so shocked my boyfriend ran over and unplugged it and brought it on the patio.

I had a blow-dryer that started sparking one day. Never caught my hair on fire. I tossed that one out real fast.

My car is still workin' strong. It's a 2001 so it's really not old. But it's a Ford smile I've replaced a few parts (solenoid, sensor, and a valve). But it looks in really good shape.

14. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 15 years ago

Now that I'm thinking about this, I think most things I've ever bought prior to, say, the last five years, still work.  (In the last five years I've found myself buying some super-cheap/super-great-deal type of things, only to discover they're junk slapped together without any quality standards (I'm trying to polite about this fairly recent development of lots of cheap products with cheap labor.)

Other than those more recent mistakes, I do have some exceptions to the "everything-I-ever-bought" statement:

Coffee makers - It's a rare one that lasts me more than two years. Of course, my coffee makers are used about 40 times more than everyone else's are.

Watches - They don't really belong here, because they'd work if I'd change the batteries, but for some reason I consider a watch "broken" once the battery wears out.  It has something to do with my "I can't be bothered with something so small" kind of thinking, or "I can't remember something so small when I'm shopping."

Window Fans or Other Fans - I like fans over the AC much of the time. The basic fans (not the higher-end ones) don't seem to last more than two years, as far as I can see.

Gas hot-water heaters - For some reason, and no matter where I've lived, I always seem to be replacing more of these than one would think is reasonable.   smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)