jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)

Why are women into hair color, and men are not?

1. LaThing profile image74
    LaThingposted 5 years ago

Why are women into hair color, and men are not?

Or am I wrong in assuming that?

2. Deep Metaphysical profile image70
    Deep Metaphysicalposted 5 years ago

I know many men who are into hair color. I don't think this is a gender thing.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

More and more men seem to be coloring their hair.

2. LaThing profile image74
      LaThingposted 5 years agoin reply to this

lol, I guess the guys in our friend circle are either not telling the truth, or are truly not interested in it!  Interesting!

3. profile image0
    Jade0215posted 5 years ago

It's for beauty and guys don't really care as much about how they look. I do know that guys will color their hair but most find it "gay" as they say so they generally don't.

1. Deep Metaphysical profile image70
      Deep Metaphysicalposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Gays are guys too, innit? tongue 

(P.S I know what the expression is supposed to mean.)

4. Georgie Lowery profile image94
    Georgie Loweryposted 5 years ago

In my experience, guys are just as into hair color as women. Plus, a dude is way more likely to dye his hair blue than a chick is, at least where my brothers are  concerned!

5. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 5 years ago

I know a few males that dye their hair. I also know that women do it far more frequently. I don't know, but do you think women tend to be a bit more vain then men or more hung-up on their appearance?

6. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

some guys do dye their hair but on average ,women worry more about their looks. it doesn't make sense to me because if women decided not to care, men would soon just accept them for how they are. i find it absurd the amount of beauty products that are there for women.

7. Rebecca2904 profile image78
    Rebecca2904posted 5 years ago

I think maybe it's because it's more sociably acceptable and 'normal' for a woman to colour her hair, whereas if a man did it they might be considered to be quite vain? I also think that it's more sociably acceptable for men to have grey hair and it's seen as being sexy and distinguished, whereas when women start to go grey most people would just think that she looked old?

8. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

I suppose it's because men are more concerned that women look younger, and women want to appear attractive.

1. cat on a soapbox profile image96
      cat on a soapboxposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I also think men are more concerned about baldness than color.

9. Rosana Modugno profile image84
    Rosana Modugnoposted 5 years ago

Same reason men aren't into makeup and women are.  It's a socially acceptable ritual for women to do it, as they have for years.  Makeup and jewelry is considered feminine and a man needs to be as manly as he can be.

10. Laura Schneider profile image92
    Laura Schneiderposted 5 years ago

Most of the guys I know, married or single, are concerned about the color of their hair. Either they color it back to its natural shade, "do the roots", or constantly discuss its color and whether they should get this product or that product. "Something to touch up this little part here" or (don't get them started) beards or moustaches.

It's not that their hair looks bad to begin with even. I think they just want to make darn sure that they have the approval of their entire set of friends and family before taking action.

The men not interested in hair color are invariably going on about their receding hairling, fending off jokes about it, dodging the facts with elaborate combovers...

No, I'm not just talking about gay men, either. :-)

working