What age is, in your opinion, too old to wear short skirts and high heels?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)
  1. prektjr.dc profile image75
    prektjr.dcposted 10 years ago

What age is, in your opinion, too old to wear short skirts and high heels?

I am settling a discussion between good friends.  Rather than agreeing to disagree, they prefer to ask a larger group of people from different ages and cultures.  Therefore, we lay it at your feet.  Do you feel that a woman aged 50 is too old to wear a short skirt? High heels?  Does it depend on her body?  To keep this to only her age, let's say she wears a Ladies' size Large, about a size 12.  What about age 60?  Let's fine tune this a bit more.  Let's put the skirt at about 3 inches above the knee and the heels about a 4 inch heel.  Share your opinions please!

2. IntimatEvolution profile image70
    IntimatEvolutionposted 10 years ago

Why do women find it necessary to limit what other women should wear, just because a female reaches a certain age?  If she feels great in what she's wearing, regardless of her age- she should wear it!  A strong minded woman is a great role model for any teenage son or daughter.  Having great legs at 50 is just a bonus!!

1. bethperry profile image83
      bethperryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Amen!

2. prektjr.dc profile image75
      prektjr.dcposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree completely.  Even those with less than perfect legs can find complimentary tights to pull off a great look!  My family LOVE my updated look and even comment about how others need not dress so frumpy.  Keeping it "real" is the key.

3. junkseller profile image79
    junksellerposted 10 years ago

Two things I tend to believe are true in life. (1) whatever you wear, there will be someone out there who wants you to wear something else, so why bother doing anything other than simply wearing what you want. (2) for whatever body type, shape, size, color, age, there is someone out there who likes it. You might as well work it for the one who does than cover it up for those who don't.

When I see an older lady working what she has, I say "good for her," the same as I do for an older person who is still out and about riding or jogging. Our bodies are meant to do work, not collect dust in museums.

As for the specific inches you mentioned, I'd suggest reversing the numbers. High heels can be brutal on the body. Shrink those heels down a couple inches and lift the skirt up the same.

I updated my "style" as a way of coping with "middle age."  I do not however wear the "cutesy" teenage styles.  It actually shaved years off of my look while making me feel good about myself and giving me the courage to try other new things.  <3 i

4. bethperry profile image83
    bethperryposted 10 years ago

As to skirts: I say if you got 'em, flaunt 'em! I can see a classic beauty like Sophia Loren still wearing a short skirt, and if you're lucky enough to have great legs at her age, why the heck not?
    As to heels, well I'm not a big advocate of plus-inch heels anyway as they're an enemy for your healthy vertebra positioning, the feet, the muscles of the calves, the whole nine yards. So I think the older woman looking to safeguard her bones or posture definitely needs to avoid them.

I agree that monitoring the heel height is a wise choice.  I am only 5'2" and wear a 4 inch heel daily.  I would probably fall over backwards in a lower heel, so it might not be a GREAT choice for me!  Thanks for reading and commenting!

5. jaydawg808 profile image80
    jaydawg808posted 10 years ago

Age, is a mere number.  Who is to say what you can and cannot wear at a specific age.  If the woman aged 50 or 60 has a body in which she can pull off, then by all means, do it.  But if not, then I don't think it's a good thing for the eyes to see. 

I have a co-worker who is about 55 years old, and she wears short skirts, tight fitting tops, and high heels to work.  She looks horrible.  She has stomach flab hanging out and a big butt.  Although her mind wants to be young, she simply cannot pull it off with the shape she's in.

I agree here also. There is a point where it isn't a complimentary look. Not all styles are right on every woman. The key here is an appropriate dress style as well!  The "hooker" look is tacky on EVERY woman regardless of bulges!  Keep it realistic.

6. The Frog Prince profile image72
    The Frog Princeposted 10 years ago

Age should have nothing to do with it.  Tastefulness does.

Completely!  Any woman at any age should respect herself enough to wear the most fashionable look; cut, style, color all working together to give her the very best look for her life!  Tacky is bad at any age!  Thanks for commenting!

2. profile image52
      Patagoniakidposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Agree! I have seen women in their late 70's look really good in a mini skirt. Yes, a mini at 14" long and another at 12" long (Average mini length).  For that matter guys are wearing minis now and looking better than they do in mens shorts!

7. point2make profile image60
    point2makeposted 10 years ago

In my  opinion the  only limits, that are important, are the ones we place on ourselves. If you can "pull it  off" then good for you. Don't let others decide how you feel about yourself and your appearance. Besides it has been my experience that those who can't usually put down those that can.

8. Blacksheep557 profile image60
    Blacksheep557posted 5 years ago

so far the discussion is about women and when some feel too old to be sexy. what are your thoughts to a guy, 66 years old, 72Kg and 178cm tall, will wear  heels all day when he can, but also love shor skirts. yes if you got, flaunt it
    https://hubstatic.com/14362446.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)