At what age should a woman stop wearing short clothes?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)
  1. peeples profile image92
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

At what age should a woman stop wearing short clothes?

For those of you who aren't against short shorts or mini skirts or that type of clothing, at what age should a woman stop wearing them? Is is just dependent upon how she looks in them? Or do you think there should be an age cut off?

2. backporchstories profile image73
    backporchstoriesposted 11 years ago

LOL, what a question.  This is like asking when should men not take their shirts off in public!  As a woman, my answer would be when the butt starts drooping and the skin on the legs sag, it is time to wear the long skirts!  But if I am hot and uncomfortable from this excessive heat, I do not care what others may think.  I only want comfort then!

3. Agantum profile image59
    Agantumposted 11 years ago

Are you in a shopping mall
    In your home or on the beach
    At the park or carnival
    With a butt shaped like a peach

It matters your location
    Not your age what you adorn
    But for elucidation
    It's Fifteen or Eighty Four

1. backporchstories profile image73
      backporchstoriesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

awesome!

2. traslochimilano profile image57
      traslochimilanoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exactly..

4. ashleybunn profile image58
    ashleybunnposted 11 years ago

Whenever she wants to. It's a woman's own business what she wears and when she wears it.

5. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

I believe it is mostly dependent upon her body type and respect she has for her image. Based on how she would be viewed, I also believe there should be an age cut off. Would you want to see your grandmother in short shorts?

6. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

There is no set time to top wearing short clothes. I would say that it should depend on a woman's figure and the image she wishes to project. I personally would not want to compete w/ a teen daughter and seriously doubt that she would want me to do so. My approach is to dress w/ confidence, knowing that a woman can still look good at any age while dressing w/ good taste.

7. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 11 years ago

it should be up to her, not anyone else. dressing sexy or nice is something that i love about women and i hate the thought of anyone telling someone they are too old for a certain type of clothing.

8. calynbana profile image77
    calynbanaposted 11 years ago

I like to judge what I wear by two questions, would I want to see my baby sister wearing this or any future daughters, and would I like to see my grandmother wearing this. If I answer no to either question I can ask myself the question, should I be wearing this?

Another little point and many of you might not like this, but pay attention to what the women around you are wearing and the men around them. My fiance asked me to do this because I often didn't notice. But when you take the time to pay attention you start to see what others see.

Everyday I see womens underwear. Not purposely, but sitting on the subway its in my face, walking up the stairs its right there. I am tall so if I look down it is there.

Now it doesnt have any affect on me I am a woman too, but if you watch the men that is a different story. I have seen many who stare, I have seen licked lips, and I have seen distressed men who look away or stare up or down or where ever they can. It is really hard in the summertime for men who do not want to feel lustful. Understanding male sexuality is a good step to understanding what we can do to them without even meaning to.

The way you dress is not about you, everything you do as an adult affects everyone around you. Children who look up to you (that includes up your shorts and skirts if they are under 4 ft) and the men and women surrounding you.

I am not against shorts or skirts. I wear them all the time, I am against doing anything that will cause another person to stumble. I am tired of seeing women's underwear, and the mens too for that matter :p Try two tests to see if your clothes fit. Sit down in front of a full length mirror. Then stand up. Whatever you saw you are advertising to the world. Put a mirror just above your head and look up, whatever you saw you are displaying for all the tall people out there.

If that fails picture these clothes on a 5 year old. Not okay for them? Shouldn't be okay for you.

9. Rosana Modugno profile image75
    Rosana Modugnoposted 10 years ago

I believe it's up to the wearer and no, I don't think there should be an age restriction.  Age is a number.  But in my opinion, a woman should show some class in her attire.  I'm a little old fashioned in that department for sure.  I love dressing like a woman, feeling feminine and with that comes a responsibility not to show all your goods just because it's hot out. 

But I also think it's awesome when I see an older woman wearing something a teenager would wear and be in better shape than the teenager.  If you're in great shape, I say show it while you can but keep it classy.  With that said, look at Tina Turner.  The woman is almost 74 and she still rocks her mini.  She's never looked anything less than classy and classic, in my opinion.

1. profile image51
      Patagoniakidposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've seen plenty of women in their late 70's wearing mini and look great! Never stop!

10. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

If a woman is in good to excellent shape, she can wear short clothes, even bikinis until her 70s, even 80s...…….
    https://hubstatic.com/14828951.jpg

1. Live to Learn profile image61
      Live to Learnposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That's not politically correct. Who gets to judge of the woman in excellent shape? You? There are all shapes and sizesand all are excellent to someone.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You simply love being my nemesis, don't you honey!   The devil is always busy...… Yes, there are women who are in GOOD  to EXCELLENT shape.  Why won't you admit this?   While there are women in GOOD to EXCELLENT shape, there are others who have...…..GONE to SEED physically, not caring how they look.  You really can't handle reality well-what a shame!   

The reality is that people are judged.  Yes, JUDGED-believe it or not.  People are judged by looks, socioeconomic level, educational attainment, whether they are likeable & intelligence level.  Based upon these things, there are some who are more & some who are less.  This society & culture are hierarchical, you can't avoid this no matter how hard you try.  You can't change this!  WE ARE ALL JUDGED!  Remember Dorothy, not everyone gets a trophy in life!

1. Live to Learn profile image61
          Live to Learnposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes the reality is that people are judged. I remember a fat Swedish man in a Speedo who offended my eyes during our honeymoon. It didn't offend him to wear them. I didn't say a word to anyone and I certainly didn't attempt to insult him. If he was happy then that was what he needed to wear.

People, especially women, are insecure enough to not need judgemental people telling them when they can bare some skin and when they can't.

And, to be honest, the premise of this thread is very sexist. Who cares what a woman wears? If she is happy in her own skin and the clothes she wears, who are you, I or anyone, to judge?

It's very catty.

1. GA Anderson profile image88
            GA Andersonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yep, and it's cattiness warranted a response to a seven-year-old thread. Geesh.

GA

11. erorantes profile image50
    erorantesposted 4 years ago

Good morning miss peoples. A women preference on how short the skirt will be showing the legs. Leggings are good solution for any size of skirt. I wish you a great day.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)