jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How do you de-stress?

1. Anna C Taylor profile image90
    Anna C Taylorposted 2 years ago

How do you de-stress?

I'm a self-acknowledged workaholic who is too restless for meditation or yoga but I need some kind of stress reliever technique.  If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them!

2. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

What helps me immensely since learning of it and practicing techniques is 'Mindfulness'. Learning does require effort and focus. It can be as a process over a length of time. And, with practice it can be a focal point triggering 'de-stressing' in a short period of time. I have discovered it is useful for relief within moments of recognizing stress.

Kinda' similar to meditation in some ways, but different. You might say it is a conditioning process at first to acquire and develop the techniques. Similar to before you can type 60 words a minute you must learn the keyboard and then practice.

3. Diane Van Hook profile image75
    Diane Van Hookposted 2 years ago

I have a few avenues:

1) I listen to music- Loud angry rock or soothing easy listening, depending on my mood.

2) I do Tai Chi exercises.

3) I go to my Kung Fu class.

4) I read.

4. Keino C profile image77
    Keino Cposted 2 years ago

I find this very difficult. I find that being among company always help. When I am alone it's very noisy. I'm either thinking about work or other home projects that are outstanding and the thoughts never stop coming. But when I am in the company of someone who isn't tied to the stress, we can relax and tell jokes and I forget about the stress. This may not be considered "relaxing" for many but any opportunity to unplug and give my every-firing neurons a rest is a welcomed one. Hope that helps.

5. liesl5858 profile image84
    liesl5858posted 2 years ago

I do gardening when I am stressed. I do weeding, mowing, and planting. It helps me release my stress from work or anything. Sometimes I don't have to do any of these but just sit in the garden and listen to the birds twitting and look at the lovely flowers and plants, those will cheer me up. But this might not work for others. I also do walking a lot when I get stress, I go out and breathe some fresh air. It does help keep me fit as well.

6. profile image0
    greeneyedblondieposted 2 years ago

What I do is acknowledge that I am actually worrying about something. I write down everything that is giving me stress. Then I can look back and go, "Well, that's kind of a dumb thing to stress about." You also have to know what causes stress.

--Difficult people.

--Worrying about things that you have no control over (will there be a car accident blocking my way to work).

--Work overload.

You noticed that you're a "workaholic" so I'd start working slower. It gives you time to look over mistakes you might have made and fix them before they're a huge deal. Hope I helped somewhat.

I can't meditate either, I discovered I'm something called "mental intuitive" which means my mind is always being creative and is always "going" so sitting still AND having a silent mind is impossible for me.