Do you think this woman is disliked for her looks or her attitude?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (35 posts)
  1. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

This lady has provoked a storm across the internet by writing an article in the DM sayin that other women hate her because of her good looks. Do you think that other women are really that jealous of the way she looks or do you think that it is her attitude that is the problem?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic … ation.html

1. Dale Hyde profile image80
      Dale Hydeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Certainly not looks! I would say a very conceited attitude would be the problem.

CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Although we women can undoubtedly sometimes be jealous, if every woman that this lady encounters has problems with her, then I think that she does need to have a look at her attitude.  Beauty is a very subjective thing anyway, so even the goddess Aphrodite wouldn't float every man's boat!

2. couturepopcafe profile image59
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

She got the desired result. Almost 2 million hits. Either she needs a reality check, is very confident, looking for a publicity stunt, all of the above.

3. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I laughed so hard when this woman called herself beautiful. The fact that she decided to come out publicly and announcing that people hate her because of her beauty is the most absurd, egotistical action I've seen in a long time.

Too bad she really doesn't understand what true beauty is about.

2. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 12 years ago

Definitely attitude! I don't think she's that beautiful, and anyway a person's personality can shine through and cause them to look more/less beautiful.

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. She's really "full of herself," huh?

3. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Beautiful????

Her nose is far too wide, she seems to have a squint, her forehead is obviously botoxed, her hair looks really ratty and the hairstyle does not suit her at all.

If you think that the photograph was obviously taken for the article, and probably has been retouched a bit and published with this woman's approval, it makes the whole thing even funnier.

I would not notice her in the street. If some men fancy her, that's their taste and I'm not in the least bothered by the fact.

1. Nell Rose profile image89
      Nell Roseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

4. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I read the article and I think in one sense, what she is saying is true. Pretty women are usually judged first by their looks. As far as her coming right out and saying it, it's hard to tell without really knowing her. Some people are average looking and brash. So she may have a point. I think the response she is receiving is more telling than what she said. We judge far too easily.

5. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

I would have to agree with WriteAngled about the looks - however looks are not always what makes a woman attractive. If she is outgoing, THINKS she is hot (confidence) and flirts a lot, then she could easily be seen as a threat by other women.

I have always been grateful that I'm not really ugly or really hot. I'm good looking enough to be easy on the eyes but still plain enough to be listened to and respected for my thoughts and ideas.

I can see where she is coming from. Although there are two or three sides to every story, and we've never met her in person or seen the situations she describes.

6. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

This woman is a Daily Mail staff writer, and I get the impression she was put up to doing this, with no doubt the DM pulling its not insignificant power to push her Twitter comments high, and 'make' a story.

As a reporter, she's probably not shy in coming forward, but I think the whole issue is fake.

No doubt there are beautiful women out there who do indeed get preferential treatment from men, but it's not her.

1. sofs profile image75
      sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL! Izzy you really don't mince your words do you?
      Beautiful? I am not sure.. attractive maybe... but she is seeking attention or doing this for DM.

7. Eric Newland profile image59
    Eric Newlandposted 12 years ago

This is definitely a problem that becomes less believable the more people you announce it to. Seems like if women are giving her attitude the mature thing to do would be to confront them directly. This just seems passive-aggressive and martyr-like.

Nice that she's taking any and all criticism as evidence that she's right too. She should run for office.

You know, I'm trying to think of what my reaction would be if a man said the exact same thing, because I don't want to be guilty of unconscious gender bias. I think it'd be about the same. Well, maybe I'd find a man even more obnoxious.

8. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

I agree that she wanted publicity and she got it. Today,making outrageous comments is the way to bee seen and read. Accusations don't have to be true or not...

9. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

Well the story is even being featured on the national TV news this evening in the UK - so its obviously one of those issues that has polarised opinion and has aroused strong reactions

1. Nell Rose profile image89
      Nell Roseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

She's not ugly, but she isn't anything special, but she's got the publicity she wants so maybe she's onto something! lol! maybe we should all try it, just think of the number of readers we would get, and in my case insults I expect! haha!

Apparently the DM have had over 1.5 million hits on their website because of these articles and they run ads - nice little earner?

The lady in question, Samantha Brick, had also already graduated onto TV chat shows, so she can't be doing too badly either.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic … rning.html

2. Eric Newland profile image59
        Eric Newlandposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think I know what my next hub is going to be about!

(me)

10. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

It is not wrong to have confidence about your own "perceived beauty" but arrogance is another thing.

11. EuroNinila profile image70
    EuroNinilaposted 12 years ago

Definetely her attitude.  The woman is definetely not beautiful, and for even saying that, is just hilarious to me.

12. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

She just had her first live interview on NBC, the Today show. She said her original title was changed and the article was her own personal account of how beautiful people are 'perceived'. She said the 24 hours after the article was public was her worst 24 hours ever.

She obviously came off as narcissistic, but her point is definitely real. Maybe not so much in big urban cities where there are many 'beautiful' women walking the streets. Here in Florida, she would simply be another pretty face.

I have felt some of what she says. I'm tall, slim and blonde and you would be surprised how being tall, slim and blonde somehow marks us differently.

I do think that the point she made about the difference between British and American attitudes has some truth in it. We Brits tend to be a self-deprecating bunch, so to a certain extent she must have known that declaring herself to be beautiful was going to create a bit of a storm. People over here tend to talk themselves down rather than up, and taking the pi** out of ourselves and our friends is a bit of a national sport.

Sorry you have ever had any negative experiences because of your good looks Rebekah, as you say it might also be an area thing.  I have lived all my adult life in London and worked in the West End and the City, where you are surrounded by attractive, well-groomed woman.  Many of my friends are beautiful women, and whatever differences we may have had along the way has never had anything to do with the way they look.

13. bell du jour profile image61
    bell du jourposted 12 years ago

She certainly isn't beautiful, attractive maybe but not beautiful.  But having said that attractive women can experience jealously from other women.  Women are constantly looking each other up and down and checking each other out.  They scan other womens faces, figures, clothes etc and make mental notes.  If a woman who considers herself attractive encounters another attractive woman this 'checking each other out' is even more pronounced, its simply human nature.  To a certain extent she is probably right about some of the negative attitudes to other women, but if she walks about with her nose in the air thinking" I'm so beautiful" then she is going to alienate other women because no one likes arrogance!

14. curtisnh005 profile image60
    curtisnh005posted 12 years ago

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'd say she is attractive but not overly so.

15. JKenny profile image89
    JKennyposted 12 years ago

This story is the reason why I rarely read and never buy a newspaper. This has been blown out of all proportion, surely there are far more interesting things going on in the world.

I reckon this article was staged as some of sociological experiment, to measure cultural attitudes among women generally. For Samantha, the experiment has been a total success, she's famous.

Also, as the previous post said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I'd say that she was just normal, not particularly attractive, but definitely not ugly.

And she's making the most of it, as she came back for more today

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic … elief.html

16. cuttierish profile image70
    cuttierishposted 12 years ago

She has some serious attitude problems. Not that she has good looks. Her beauty is just plainly ordinary, its just okay. But her claim that women will be threatened by her is just lame. To think there are a hundred girl out there that look much more beautiful out there. They don't even need to brag about it. I think those who are really beautiful are those who don't even realize they were, and they just act simple about it. Not bragging it to everyone.

17. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 12 years ago

She isnt very pretty.has some serious ego issues thougj

18. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

I think she's crazy as a fox, pulling everyone's chain, pushing everyone's buttons, and getting a ton of publicity in the process. In case it's missed anyone's attention, everyone is aware of her now and she's getting more than her 15 minutes of fame. As far as her looks, even if she's not everyone's idea of a super model, she would certainly be considered pretty enough to attract male attention and female distain in some circles. What I fine more interesting than anything she's got to say, is how everyone seems to react to it.  I have the feeling that if she were writing the article about how people disliked her because she was ugly, everyone would be telling her that she's not ugly at all and shame on all those mean people... lol.  Pretty or ugly, either way she has accomplished her goal and has everyone talking about her.

19. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 12 years ago

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  And, beauty can be more than skin deep.  For some, her "arrogance" may be a turn on feature for others.  For some, confidence, power, assertiveness are qualities that are sought after. 

Here's an interesting take on whether beauty has an affect on one's life: 
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/04/11 … d%3D151587

Personally, I know that beauty, or just looking better than the person next to me, has a detrimental side to it.  And sometimes, there is nothing that I have done to justify the remarks, looks, stares, actions that I receive.

20. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

I could not name anyone who is stunning. She is pretty but very over-confident with herself. If you are confident you should not act like you are better than the next person. Internally she is very unattractive which does not make her beautiful at all.

21. Express10 profile image84
    Express10posted 12 years ago

Going only by the photo and headline, I think she is average in looks and overconfident in her looks. This is critical with how she relates to other women and how they relate to her. I have encountered more than a few women like this and the reason other women around them get their knickers in a bunch is because their actions and words reveal that they believe they are better than most people or they are entitled to a variety of things simply because they exist (not due to effort, skill, knowledge, or talent). I think this article was just a way of upping traffic for her and the employer.

22. Kalux profile image77
    Kaluxposted 11 years ago

I wrote a blog post about this. I think she's a little bit ridiculous. <link snipped - no promotional links>

23. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 11 years ago

How about friends disliking her for going beyond being egocentric?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)