jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Is it worth buying an Amazon Kindle just for reading?

1. Richard Craig profile image75
    Richard Craigposted 7 years ago

Is it worth buying an Amazon Kindle just for reading?

2. rnbguru profile image34
    rnbguruposted 7 years ago

I think so. What other purpose would you be looking for out of it? The good news is the lowest priced versions are now 139$, making it much more affordable. They come out at the end of the month so you might want to hold off for that.

They're very convenient and make it so you no longer have to swap books you want to read, or wait until the book arrives before you can start reading it.

3. Joseph Hall profile image59
    Joseph Hallposted 7 years ago

I think that a Kindle is worth the price if you are an avid reader.
    An easy way to find out if you like the concept and you have a computer is to download the free computer version.

If you have a laptop it becomes a Kindle but not as small and convenient.

If you enjoy the concept then buy the easy to carry self contained Kindle

4. Shawn Scarborough profile image83
    Shawn Scarboroughposted 7 years ago

I think it is worth it.  Books take up a large amount of space in my home.  The Kindle will hold hundreds of books which means I will save a lot of space.  The Kindle makes it easy to take a large number of books with you when you travel too.

5. amsmoving profile image57
    amsmovingposted 7 years ago

If you've got the cash - I'd get an iPad.

The days of specialized devices are quickly ending. Just witness what happened with dedicated GPS devices when the Google Maps app rolled out.

The iPad is a great e-reader - and you can get a Kindle app for access to Amazon's library.

And you can do much much more.

It's just a little pricey - only downside.

6. Crewman6 profile image74
    Crewman6posted 7 years ago

There's already some great answers here, and I mostly agree.  The Kindle is well worth the price.  I own an older Ebookwise 1150 ereader, and while I love it, the fonts show strong pixelation.  The Kindle is a vast improvement.  The screen quality is awesome.  Unless you actually hold one in your hands and see the print on it, it's not possible to comprehend how much better it is than computer screens. 
    I'm usually working on at least one book, usually more, on any single day.  Having them all in one device is very convenient. 
    I can (and do) spend a lot of time reading on other devices, but for pleasure, ease, and convenience, Kindle is worth the money to me.  And the battery power?  I can usually get about 3 weeks on my Kindle, then I recharge just to keep it topped up.  And that's one of the older Kindles, not the newer models that work even better!

7. elizabeth21 profile image66
    elizabeth21posted 7 years ago

Yes ofcouse! You know why?
    1. With an ereader in hand you wouldn't mind waiting in a queue as all you got to do is to open your ereader and start reading.

2. Amazon Kindle's eink display is a giant leap of  technology that greatly minimizes the strain that comes from reading an ebook from an LCD screen.

3. If you are the sort of a person who constantly switches books or a fast reader who quickly finishes a book, an ereader will help you carry less.

The best rated ebook readers are reviewed here. http://hubpages.com/hub/bestereader

working