When your typing and all your text just disappears, is there anyway to get it ba

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Cantuhearmescream profile image76
    Cantuhearmescreamposted 10 years ago

When your typing and all your text just disappears, is there anyway to get it back while online?

Is there a button to push that brings back text that you accidentally deleted? (Like the UNDO button on  word processors) Can that be done in a text box on say, HubPages? Do we have some special button on our keyboards or in our Toolbars or something? I get really frustrated when I have to retype my long winded paragraph responses 2 or 3 times. big_smile

2. writinglover profile image76
    writingloverposted 10 years ago

Hey, kitty Cat! I actually found a way of recovering some, if not all, of your work. When you edit the text portion of your hub, there is a button that says 'recover draft'. I believe your work is saved like every ten minutes or so (maybe more). Anyway, Hit that button and then you come to a box that says "select a draft to view and recover." You'll click on your most recent draft and then you'll get that work back. Hope this helps! big_smile

Cantuhearmescreamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well, that would've probably saved me some serious time on previous hubs and no doubt will in the future; but what about right now as I type on this page? What if I got a paragraph in and pushed some button that makes it all disappear (which I do big_smile

2. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Awesome, I learn so much, thank you.

3. MizBejabbers profile image89
    MizBejabbersposted 10 years ago

That is good to know, Writinglover, I've been wondering myself. Except for just short comments on people's hubs, I type everything in Word, then I copy and paste it into my hub. Same for my long-winded comments. One day I accidentally deleted a whole hub, thinking I was deleting a photo. I couldn't find any way to recover it, so I copied it from Word and put it right back. I know it's a lot of trouble to be constantly minimizing and bringing documents back up, but I run dual monitors where I can see what I am doing on both. We have them at work, and I missed them so much that I bought them for home use, too.

1. writinglover profile image76
      writingloverposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yeah. I always do my hubs in Word just for this purpose after accidently deleting one of my old hubs. Glad you found this useful! big_smile

4. WalterPoon profile image67
    WalterPoonposted 10 years ago

When you're typing and all your text just disappears, is there anyway to get it back while online?

Yes, just retrieve it from your memory.

Is there a button to push that brings back text that you accidentally deleted? If there is, it has not yet been invented.  I have experienced long paragraphs disappearing, so nowadays, if my comments are long, I write it in Notepad first.

Thanks WalterPoon, so no magic button huh? I'd like to think someone's working on that invention as we speak! The things we can do with technology you'd think that would be a simple task! ... I guess I'll just have to do what you do! big_smile Thanks again!

2. WalterPoon profile image67
      WalterPoonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Cantuhearmescream, actually HubPages could implement an autosave feature, just like in Gmail, when we're writing an email.

3. Cantuhearmescream profile image76

Well that would certainly be a great idea! I'll sign the petition if you start one big_smile

5. codewalk profile image70
    codewalkposted 10 years ago

Well, maybe this will work. Probably the easiest way it is.
    Try "Ctrl + Z" after all your text disappears. This combination is a shortcut for Undo.
    Hope this helps...

Oh... I almost can't wait for my text to disappear to try this out! big_smile
      Thanks a million... I really hope this works! I just lost a huge amount of text this morning... oh how I wish this wasn't buried in my email! lol Thanks again!

6. The Examiner-1 profile image61
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

If you forget to type in Word or whatever first, try this:
    Click save for every few sentences you type, if everything disappears click 'discard changes' and then click 'Edit' again. See if most of it came back.

Where am I clicking save?

2. The Examiner-1 profile image61
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

At the top right of the box which you are editing in. When you click 'Save', you will return to the main edit page. Click 'Edit' in the capsule you were working on and continue where you left off.

3. Cantuhearmescream profile image76

Oh, oh! Thank you!!! Good to know! I appreciate that, hopefully it will help others as well!

4. The Examiner-1 profile image61

I just hope that works for you. It has not disappeared on me yet. (knock, knock) :-)

5. Cantuhearmescream profile image76

I hate to have to test the theory, but I'll be ready if I need to! Thanks again! Where's the wood? big_smile

6. The Examiner-1 profile image61

I am at my computer desk, so there.

7. Cantuhearmescream profile image76

Ha ha... Mine's wood too! Always handy to have around in such situations big_smile

8. The Examiner-1 profile image61

Word has a 'W' in the upper left corner. Immediately right of that is small square which is a floppy disk and when you click on this it saves the current screen. That is the easy way. You can also click on 'File' and then 'Save'.

7. epbooks profile image81
    epbooksposted 10 years ago

It depends on what program you are in and if your computer is in the mood to frustrate you!  You can try to hit Ctrl + Z if you find all of your text suddenly disappears.  Ctrl +z is an undo button, so if you accidentally hit delete (which deleted the text) and then hit ctrl+z, it would undo your last action.

Ha ha! That is so awesome, thank you! I don't know how people find these things out... so good to know! Those buttons are going to become my favorites! big_smile

2. The Examiner-1 profile image61

epbooks - This has not happened to me so I will keep it in mind. I simply have one question. Do you mean when you hit the actual 'Delete' button on the keyboard, or when you are in the 'Edit' box and click on the 'discard' button?

3. epbooks profile image81
      epbooksposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The Examiner - 1- It's usually if you hit the delete button.  In some programs, it you hit the discard button, it gets rid of it completely and then ctrl+z won't work.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image61

epbook - Thank you.

8. JDubya profile image69
    JDubyaposted 10 years ago

As writinglover mentioned, the recover draft button helps if you're editing a hub. But as you point out, it doesn't help with other situations.

If you use Firefox, you could try out the Lazarus text recovery plugin. Supposedly it saves any text you ever type into any browser form. I'm not a Firefox user, so I don't have direct experience with it, but I know people who swear by it. One concern I have with the idea of a utility like Lazarus is that any information it saves has to be written to disk somewhere. Are you willing to have passwords, credit card numbers, etc saved in temporary files?

9. Bill Yovino profile image89
    Bill Yovinoposted 6 years ago

There are good suggestions here. I'd like to add that it is a good practice to keep saving your work as you go along. Don't wait for the Hub or even the capsule to be completed before hitting "Done Editing".
    You can always go back to editing at any time.

10. momoben profile image59
    momobenposted 5 years ago

Very easy Ctrl + Z in your keyboard

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)