jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Have you ever been stranded on a vacation?

1. mintinfo profile image74
    mintinfoposted 5 years ago

Have you ever been stranded on a vacation?

Have you any tips to avoid being stranded on a vacation, whether by an Airline or by personal oversight?

2. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 5 years ago

I'll tell you what happened to me, and what I wish I had back then.

It was 4th of July weekend, and a friend and I drove down to our favorite resort town, fore the expected parties. When we arrived, we found that it was alive and festive. Well, it was hot and sunny, so I decided to move my car to a place in the shade.

At this resort, there is a downhill drive that leads into a larger shaded lot, and if you park by the trees, you get many hours of shade, and don't have to return to a boiling hot car. At any rate, I was headed down that hill, and the car came to a dead stop. My friend thought I had the breaks, and I said no. I tried going foward, and tried reverse, and neither worked. So my friend suggested to gun the gas.

The car lurched forward, and you could feel that the underside had hit the ground, and we spun around in a complete circle, leaving a huge gash on the road, where the car spun out. The tie-rod of the drivers side tire had snapped, and the tire was laying horizontal on the ground and flat as a rail.

We looked at the driveway, and the pavement dropped almost a foot down to the dirt road we were on, so, it was their drive that broke my car. We went to talk to them and they would do nothing for us. The only thing they did was offer to get us a tow truck. And, when the driver arrived and looked at the car, he told us it would be at least a week before the car could be repaired, because of the holiday.

So, we were basically stuck there. At this time, there were no cell phones. But, I was able to call a friend who came to get us. But, because he had to work that night, we were unable to stay for the parties. Which made me very unhappy.

So a few things to do. make sure you have a contact person if you go on a trip. Bring emergency money. And, always have a back up plan in case something goes wrong. If you are that concerned, also bring food and water. If you are in a car, and break down on the road. Make sure you have a blanket or warm clothes, and travel on a major road, so that someone might find you if you need help.Also check local emergency numbers along your route.

Hope that helps.

1. mintinfo profile image74
      mintinfoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like a really unfortunate situation. Thanks for the tips

3. epus profile image61
    epusposted 5 years ago

I have been stranded my friend. This question is very interesting. It is very frustrating but what I did is only to think that this is part of my adventure in the place.

The more trouble comes, the more exciting life is.

1. epus profile image61
      epusposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If you think positively, you can find ways to move along your course.

2. mintinfo profile image74
      mintinfoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes epus, positivity can turn any bad situation into a learning experience.