jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

When did you last visit a castle? Where was it and what was it called?

1. Grace-Wolf-30 profile image60
    Grace-Wolf-30posted 4 years ago

When did you last visit a castle? Where was it and what was it called?

2. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 4 years ago

I think it was about 15 years ago. I visited Bolt Castle on Heart Island in New York.

3. liesl5858 profile image86
    liesl5858posted 4 years ago

The last time we visited a castle was about 17 or 18 years ago here in England. It was in Dorset and it is called Corfe Castle.

4. IslandBites profile image87
    IslandBitesposted 4 years ago

Castillo San Felipe and Castillo San Cristobal,  in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I am fortunate enough to live in the same city, so no that long ago.

5. CraftytotheCore profile image84
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

About 3 years ago.  Gillette's Castle, Connecticut, USA.

6. Cleio profile image77
    Cleioposted 4 years ago

Roscommon castle, just today. Although we didn't really visit there castle as such, we went for a walk in the park that surrounds it. It's just around the corner from where my husband grew up and where his parents still live.

The thing about living in Ireland is that there's ruins everywhere; castles, but also abbeys, and even older stuff such as ring forts. Even in Dublin, where our home is, there's old stuff dotted around the suburbs.

Because you can't go anywhere without tripping over an old castle, I do think we probably don't appreciate the heritage around us quite as much as we should.

7. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

A castle in Germany. Not sure which one. Castles are amazing! There is a castle in Texas created by a baker which is the only one with a working drawbridge. Didn't see many in France and the ruins in England were awesome!

8. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

The "Stone castle." It is where our area High school football team plays. It was built back in the twenties and they placed a football field in the middle of it. It really is a sight to see.

9. lilian_sg profile image72
    lilian_sgposted 4 years ago

For me, it would be Versailles in France, back in December 2011. The buildings were lovely, but I was really impressed with the vast gardens.

10. chef-de-jour profile image98
    chef-de-jourposted 4 years ago

I recently visited Middleham Castle in Yorkshire where King Richard III lived as a boy and as King. (See hub!). It's a beautifully preserved stone castle that served as HQ for the north of England when Richard was plotting his moves against the Lancastrians.
    Last week I also managed a quick visit to St Briavel's in Gloucestershire, a hunting home from home for King John, very close to the Welsh border. This small castle has a wonderful keep and two towers, of reddish stone, and boasts a pair of stocks. It serves as a youth hostel now.

11. Konig Ludwig profile image60
    Konig Ludwigposted 4 years ago

my last castle visit was today big_smile
    Called NEUSCHWANSTEIN or New Swan Stone
    Located in the south of bavaria germany