jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (13 posts)

Where is the farthest place you have traveled from home?

1. elayne001 profile image72
    elayne001posted 3 years ago

Where is the farthest place you have traveled from home?

2. manatita44 profile image83
    manatita44posted 3 years ago

New Zealand, I guess.

I came from a small country in the caribbean, made my way to London then to NZ. You?

elayne001posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I have been to New Zealand. Love it there. The farthest, I believe is to China from Tonga in the South Pacific.

3. profile image0
    Dave36posted 3 years ago

I was lucky enough to travel, & work in nearly 40 different countries..The most fun Iv'e had anywhere would probably be Scandinavia (Finland Norway or Denmark), or Canada..The most rewarding eye opening country Iv'e been to, would probably be India or Pakistan which definitely changed my view of the world..The most drunk Iv'e ever been, would definitely be Germany (very strong beer!lol)..Iv'e seen some of the richest people in places like Bahrain Kuwait & Saudi, & some of the poorest in India Egypt & Pakistan..That was all a good few years ago, & now India are doing better than the UK, & i say good luck to them they deserve it..What i now know for a fact is that people are the same where ever you go, just like the song ebony & ivory..The poor are more generous in general than the rich, & i would sooner be poor than rich if i had to be one or the other..Another thing i know is the world is actually a "massive" place, & far from over populated..The towns & cities might be over populated, but that's for certain reasons ie control..I never looked down on any poor person i met in my travels, & i always thought there but for the grace of god go you or i..One last thing I'd say is the world is really a beautiful place to be, & i have no idea why there trying to get to Mars!lol..Two ambitions i will do one day is to go to Africa on Safari, & maybe dig a couple of Wells or help build a school or something for the kids..When you think about it we're "hunter gatherers", & we used to move around from area to area so we never got bored, & we never settled until we found a place we loved..Nowadays we're usually born/grow up & live in the same area most if not all of our lives, so people today must be very bored....I'd love to see the world as one big party, where everyone helps each other..Finally the least enjoyable place Iv'e ever been would probably be France/Greece or Italy, probably something to do with the 2nd world war i suppose!lol.

4. RTalloni profile image88
    RTalloniposted 3 years ago

The farthest I've ever traveled from my home one way is 4,300 or so miles to Denali National Park.  The longest road trip 3,000 or so miles roundtrip via Sept-Iles Quebec.

5. alancaster149 profile image86
    alancaster149posted 3 years ago

As the crow flies Vienna is just under 800 miles from here, Rome and Ibiza are just under 900. That's the furthest I've been from London.
    However, when I went to Vienna (furthest east I've been) in the 60's I went the long way round by train via southern Austria, so maybe it qualifies in distance along with Rome and Ibiza where I flew a) from Heathrow and b) from Gatwick, adding mileage by train/underground in another direction before taking off.
    The train/ferry/train journey I took to Vienna took me to Dover, Ostend, down to Klagenfurt in the deep south of Austria (where my Dad had been stationed with the British Army after 1945).
    Ibiza is the furthest south I've been, not far from North Africa.
    The furthest north I've been is Glasgow, to visit a friend and for a Status Quo concert at the Apollo (couldn't hear a thing for an hour after that).
    As for going west, that was only as far as Dublin for the Telegraph newspaper Sales Department 'jamboree' (which is what it amounted to). Glasgow was further away, and I went there by National Express coach - a long way by road in this part of the world!
    I'm a bit of a 'stay-at-home' compared to the wife and kids, they've been to New York, Sydney, Croatia together, the wife's been to Russia and on a cruise through the Med. as well as Iceland and Norway on her own, the elder daughter's been to San Francisco and the younger daughter was at Uni.in Buffalo.

6. suziecat7 profile image91
    suziecat7posted 3 years ago

I've gone as far as Egypt from the United States.

7. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

I live in Pennsylvania and I took my mom on an Alaskan cruise so that would be the furthest from home I've ever been.

8. Twilight Lawns profile image84
    Twilight Lawnsposted 3 years ago

I was born in Quetta, Baluchistan which, at the time was in British India. So Quetta Baluchistan was my home.
    At the age of about four my parents split up and my mother took me with her to live with my maternal grandmother in Crynant in Glamorganshire which is in South Wales, part of the United Kingdom.  While in the UK she took me to live, also, with my paternal Grandfather in Colchester which is the County Town of the County of Essex, England.
    On the way to the UK we called in to Aden and Egypt and passed by Gibraltar, but as there was a war on it seemed safer to keep on the ship.  She was the Sibajak, a Dutch Luxury liner converted into a troop ship, so I suppose that counted as our being on Nederlands “soil”.
    When I was a couple of years older, my mother returned to British India, but by then my father had been posted to Dehu Road Cantonment, Maharashtra province, quite close Pune (then Poona), which is  on the Bombay (now Mumbai) Poona Road.
    At Partition, which took place in August 1947 when India gained Independence, the British were considered “surplus to requirements” so my parents and I were forced to leave my home, in Dehu Road Cantonment, (near Pune), Maharashtra Province, India. 
    Incidentally, Baluchistan a day later became part of West Pakistan.  West Pakistan split away from East Pakistan (now Bangladesh) so my original home is now known as Pakistan. 
    So I was forced to leave my home and we left India; emigrating to New Zealand, but when the boat we were travelling on docked in Fremantle, West Australia, my parents decided they had found a wonderful place to call home and we settled down in Perth, the capital city of West Australia.
    During my stay in Australia I visited Melbourne, Victoria; Sydney, New South Wales; Adelaide, South Australia.
    So my formative years were spent in Australia, so that must be my home.
    But  I emigrated to London, UK since then and during my travels here, and since I have been here, I have either lived in, or spent some time in; Aden, Egypt, France, Italy, Oman, Spain, Switzerland, Belgium and Monaco.
    I'm sorry if I've left some out.

elayne001posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I would love to hear more about your interesting life. I have been to Australia and New Zealand, Egypt and Scotland. You are definitely well traveled. Regards.

2. Twilight Lawns profile image84
      Twilight Lawnsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

elayne001, where were you in Australia?  I  lived in Perth, West Australia and i think it is one of the loveliest places in the world.
      Maybe I am biased because it is one of my "Motherlands"
      Ha ha.

9. Snøwman profile image60
    Snøwmanposted 3 years ago

I live in Utah and I've been to the Philippines.

10. fastfreta profile image79
    fastfretaposted 3 years ago

I live in Southern California, and in 2006 I went to Posnan Poland for 7 days to religious convention. Very interesting trip.

working