jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How does this old saying go?

1. TheHoleStory profile image78
    TheHoleStoryposted 3 years ago

How does this old saying go?

Do you say -  "Faster than a rushing race horse" or "Faster than a Russian race horse"?

2. The Examiner-1 profile image74
    The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago

I never heard it, since I do not go to the races, but maybe it is "Faster than a rushin' race horse."

3. Mr. Happy profile image82
    Mr. Happyposted 3 years ago

I do not recall any specific Russian racing horses so, perhaps it is as The Examiner-1 mentioned: "Faster than a rushin' race horse."

4. bethperry profile image90
    bethperryposted 3 years ago

I asked my Mama about this once (her family raised show horses and she knew several race jockeys). Her answer was interesting, as she said that decades ago a Russian thoroughbred was banned from professional races after it was discovered his owners had given him a type of diuretic to enhance his performance. According to the investigators that looked into the case, the diuretic was so strong the horse ran faster in order to reach the finish line and release his urine (the med also allegedly damaged the horse's heart). Anyway, Mama said this is where the term "Faster than a Russian race horse" comes from; a saying indicating someone is hurrying like they have to pee QUICKLY. And as Mama knows her equine history pretty darned well, I tend to believe the story.

5. Bubblegum Jones profile image60
    Bubblegum Jonesposted 3 years ago

I believe that this saying could go either way depending on who is saying it.