jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (20 posts)

Removing shoes or getting a pat down, which is worse?

1. jobister profile image61
    jobisterposted 6 years ago

Just wondering what others think of this? Personally I hate both, but if I had to choose I would say a pat down is worse. What are your thoughts?

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't fly, and rarely take any sort of public transportation.
      But I would submit freely to both processes as long as everyone else was subjected to it also.

I do think they're making a huge mistake, though, by NOT profiling people by Nationality and by appearance. The security of our Nation is being weakened measurably by the nonsense of political correctness.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image88
        Jeff Berndtposted 6 years ago in reply to this

"I would submit freely to both processes as long as everyone else was subjected to it also."

"I do think they're making a huge mistake, though, by NOT profiling people by Nationality and by appearance."

I just wanted to put those two sentences next to each other and make sure that everyone saw that they were both said by the same person at the same time.

Anyone else care to comment?

2. warchild75 profile image42
      warchild75posted 6 years ago in reply to this

bloody shoes,its always the day i have put on my socks with the hole in!!! look like a right tramp!!LOL

3. profile image0
      J and Jposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You're wrong. It's neither.

Last year on a visit to the USA the worst thing was removing my belt for xray as the top button of my trousers had failed. That combined with the pat down caused some personal stress.

2. Mikeydoes profile image76
    Mikeydoesposted 6 years ago

It is what it is, I've been in way worse situations than that.

3. Africa Unlimited profile image60
    Africa Unlimitedposted 6 years ago

Always look at the reason things are being, don't feel singled out as lots of people undergo this. the airline has a job to do make it as pleasant and easy for them as possible. Always smile and pass an appropriate comment if no one has been talking to the people doing the task. Quicker than you can think, it is over. Also prepare yourself for the check make sure all your kit that should be off is off and that your shoes laces are tied only once should they need to come off.

4. thisisoli profile image53
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

I travel a lot, so does my wife, I generally get on a plane at least 30 - 40 times a year. In my opinion the whole processes is quick and easy, and only annoying if you arrive late and the queue is 20 minutes long. I do understand that people may be alittle freaked out by being seen 'naked' of patted down, but it is pretty fast and efficient.

All in all though I liked the super freakenomics standpoint on the whole thing.  I cant remember the number, but I liked how they calculated how many lives were cost each year by time spent going through enhanced security.

5. Google Gal profile image62
    Google Galposted 6 years ago

I think it's pretty sad the world has come to this - both are ridiculous actually

6. paradigmsearch profile image86
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

"Removing shoes or getting a pat down, which is worse?"

Not enough info to answer this question.

Does my sock have a hole in the toe (as usual)?

Is mister happy glad to see the cute TSA agent?

Too many variables…

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

LOL

oh dear....

I hope the average man isn't that easily excitable!   If so, no wonder the Nation is in trouble......

Wish our men were that quick at spotting a terrorist....

1. paradigmsearch profile image86
        paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Actually, the reason that 99.9% of all terrorists are Muslim is because they are not allowed to boink unless married.

7. Stacie L profile image86
    Stacie Lposted 6 years ago

i wont go on a plane now that i have to be exposed to radiation or groped,in order to fly.
    are other forms of public transportation going to have these security measures put in place?
    roll

Yes.

It is only a matter of when. I'd guess trains within 5 years.

And cruise ships.

8. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 6 years ago

I don't mind the pat down, or the shoes.  It only takes a few minutes and the peace of mind is well worth it.  Just remember to wear clean socks and don't hide any bombs in your thong.

9. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 6 years ago

Losing trust is like losing of virginity - you can never get it back. We still can smile and pretend that we trust each other but... better get used to it.

10. profile image56
    Eric Kanmareposted 6 years ago

No question for me!  The patdown!

I can plan around taking off my shoes . . . I just wear my unholy socks and some nice unfunky shoes.

Patdown?  Well, sorry, I'm not so interested in some poor TSA agent finding out the hard way that I really need to do some situps.

11. Midnight Oil profile image89
    Midnight Oilposted 6 years ago

I don't mind either, its just part of modern life - I could think a lot of worse things that could happen to you.

Just make sure you don't have religious socks (holly ones) on, keep the metal stuff in your suitcase and clean underwear - just in case!

The think that confuses me is getting my macbook out of the laptop bag, and then they x-ray the two together? Why?  You can x-ray through the bag to see the laptop, so why do we have to take them out?

12. Lisa HW profile image81
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the idea of any-old-body having his/her "mitts" on me.  I don't wouldn't have a problem with shoe removal.  I don't even get why anyone would have a problem with it.  (Of course, I tend to wear sandals - when at all even borderline appropriate - without nylons from April to November; and any chance I get in-between.  Apparently, I'm a little wild, crazy, and immodest when it comes to the tootsies.  big_smile ).  The pat-down thing, on the other hand, might be enough to make me decide to drive myself wherever I'm going (ocean, mountains, whatever - or not)..

working