STOLEN CONTENT ALERT - If you write about music on HubPages, read this

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (74 posts)
  1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

Looks like another content sniper is at work, stealing our shizz from HubPages. This so called "music news" site has sniped at least four of my Hubs and it looks like there are many other pieces pinched from my fellow music Hubbers as well.

If you've written any Hubs about music (any kind at all) recently, you may want to give this site a look:
    www.coolmusicarena.com

It appears to be a Blogger site so Blogger/Google would be the proper place to file DMCA's.

Thanks to my man SpartucusJones for hipping me to this thief. Let's get this sumbitch!!

1. Georgie Lowery profile image91
      Georgie Loweryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

He has at least two of mine. What do I do?

edit: I found a total of six of mine and one from my best friend.

FatFreddysCatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The thief's site is on Blogger, which is associated w/Google. Google has its own form for DMCA complaints. Go here for the form and follow the steps:
        http://support.google.com/bin/request.p … ct=blogger

Basically you provide a link to your article, a link to the stolen piece, and include any other pertinent details (i.e. "this is my article posted at HubPages on such-and-such a date, it was copied and republished without my knowledge or permission on the Blogger site (name).")

You'll get a polite e-mail from Google thanking you and saying they'll look into it. Hopefully if they get enough of them about this one guy they'll pull his plug fairly quickly.

Argh. Six Hubs. Why would somebody do that? Now I know how all the musicians felt when people were stealing their music on Napster. Thank you for the info, I've alerted my best friend too.

No probs, Georgie. Spread the word! I want this guy to bite the curb!!

as a side note, does anyone think it would be a bad idea to go to "my" articles on the offending site and leaving a saucy comment or twelve on each of'em? I'm thinking something along the lines of "Hey Buddy, I'm flattered you liked my article enough to steal it and republish it as your own work, you f*cking lame-O" or words to that effect.... hahaha

1. profile image0
              Joanne M Olivieriposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When I was writing for today.com a few years ago, I had some site which basically scraped my entire blog for months.  Long story short , I did go on the site and left comments saying that "you stole my writing, you are thieves" etc.  I filed the necessary DCMA and within a few months the site was taken down.  Another good thing is to go to their host site, like Go Daddy or whatever they used and file a complaint.

"a few months?" Screw that. I want this guy dead by the end of the week. Haha.

*EDIT* ... and dammit, you have to log in using a Facebook, LiveJournal, etc. I.D. in order to leave comments on the thief site. Shoot. I was hoping I'd be able to blast him without leaving a digital trail or an e-mail address for him to get me back. sad

1. profile image0

LOL!!! I know the feeling.

1. profile image0

Open an anonymous FB account and blast him that way smile

2. Philanthropy2012 profile image83
      Philanthropy2012posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh my, this site has every single music hub that belongs to my girlfriend. This must be stopped.

Big props to FatFreddysCat!!

Don't thank me - thank SpartucusJones, who hipped me to the thievery.

...or maybe we should all thank Glimmer Twin Fan, who hipped Spartucus to it.

...Aw hell, you might as well thank me. You're welcome big_smile

3. MartieCoetser profile image69
      MartieCoetserposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks to SilverGenes I have obtained this info about the site

Registration Service Provided By: PH
      Domain Name: COOLMUSICARENA.COM

Registration Date: 21-Feb-2013
      Expiration Date: 21-Feb-2014

Note: This Domain Name is currently Locked. In this status the domain name
      cannot be transferred, hijacked, or modified. The Owner of this domain name
      can easily change this status from their control panel.

This feature is provided as a security measure against fraudulent domain name hijacking.

Name Servers:
      ns10.dnsmadeeasy.com
      ns11.dnsmadeeasy.com
      ns12.dnsmadeeasy.com
      ns13.dnsmadeeasy.com
      ns14.dnsmadeeasy.com
      ns15.dnsmadeeasy.com

Registrant Contact Details:
      PrivacyProtect.org
      Domain Admin (contact@privacyprotect.org)
      ID#10760, PO Box 16
      Note - Visit PrivacyProtect.org to contact the domain owner/operator
      Nobby Beach
      Queensland,QLD 4218
      AU
      Tel. +45.36946676

Administrative Contact Details:
      PrivacyProtect.org
      ID#10760, PO Box 16
      Nobby Beach
      Queensland,QLD 4218
      AU
      Tel. +45.36946676

Technical Contact Details:
      PrivacyProtect.org
      ID#10760, PO Box 16
      Nobby Beach
      Queensland,QLD 4218
      AU
      Tel. +45.36946676

Billing Contact Details:
      PrivacyProtect.org
      ID#10760, PO Box 16
      Nobby Beach
      Queensland,QLD 4218
      AU
      Tel. +45.36946676

PRIVACYPROTECT.ORG is providing privacy protection services to this domain name to
      protect the owner from spam and phishing attacks. PrivacyProtect.org is not
      responsible for any of the activities associated with this domain name. If you wish
      to report any abuse concerning the usage of this domain name, you may do so at
      http://privacyprotect.org/contact. We have a stringent abuse policy and any
      complaint will be actioned within a short period of time.

The data in this whois database is provided to you for information purposes
      only, that is, to assist you in obtaining information about or related to a
      domain name registration record. We make this information available "as is",
      and do not guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a whois query, you agree
      that you will use this data only for lawful purposes and that, under no
      circumstances will you use this data to:
      (1) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that stress or load
      this whois database system providing you this information; or
      (2) allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission of mass unsolicited,
      commercial advertising or solicitations via direct mail, electronic mail, or
      by telephone.
      The compilation, repackaging, dissemination or other use of this data is
      expressly prohibited without prior written consent from us. The Registrar of
      record is PDR Ltd. d/b/a PublicDomainRegistry.com.
      We reserve the right to modify these terms at any time.
      By submitting this query, you agree to abide by these terms.

Registrar: PDR LTD. D/B/A PUBLICDOMAINREGISTRY.COM
      Whois Server: whois.PublicDomainRegistry.com
      Creation Date: 21-FEB-2013
      Updated Date: 26-FEB-2013
      Expiration Date: 21-FEB-2014

Nameserver: NS10.DNSMADEEASY.COM
      Nameserver: NS11.DNSMADEEASY.COM
      Nameserver: NS12.DNSMADEEASY.COM
      Nameserver: NS13.DNSMADEEASY.COM
      Nameserver: NS14.DNSMADEEASY.COM
      Nameserver: NS15.DNSMADEEASY.COM

Registry Status: clientTransferProhibited

2. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 11 years ago

I went through 30 pages and didn't find any of my guitar stuff, but there does seem to be lot of Hubs there.  Good luck with the take-downs.  Hopefully they'll unplug the whole blog.

It appears to be running Adsense. Would something like this cost them their Adsense account?  I imagine so, right?

I certainly hope he would lose his AdSense account and/or his entire web site!! I want to end this guy!!

3. sparkster profile image84
    sparksterposted 11 years ago

Yep, just found some of mine too.  Seeing as I've sent so many DMCA complaints out lately I guess a few more won't be a problem.

1. profile image0

Thanks for the heads up.  I was about to write a music article about my friend along with one of her videos but since reading this I won't.  I hope you can get the persona's site taken down.

I'm workin' on it!! big_smile I found six of my articles on that site, and sent DCMA complaints for all six. I have added the thief's site to my "favorites" (galling as that may be) so I can keep an eye on it and watch for any progress.

1. profile image0

That's a good idea.  It's a pain to have to go through the DCMA process, I know but it has to be done to stop these thieves.

4. spartucusjones profile image91
    spartucusjonesposted 11 years ago

I have to thank Glimmer Twin Fan for notifying me that she found one of my hubs on the site.

I already filled out 6 DCMA forms, and I found at least 6 more of my hubs, and there might be more. Unfortunately because most of my Hubs are about music, I am probably getting harder hit than most Hubbers. It is extremely annoying, and because of that I couldn't fight the urge to comment on a couple of my articles calling them out. I know the process can take awhile, but I am hoping that the site gets hit with so many DCMA that the site will be removed fairly quickly. 

Now I am off to file some more DCMA.

I'm right there with ya, Spartacus. At least half of my Hubs are about music, it's bad enough that they don't tend to get a lot of traffic 'round here, without somebody stealing/leeching off of them.

Hopefully the thief will receive a proper digital ass kicking very soon!!!

5. spartucusjones profile image91
    spartucusjonesposted 11 years ago

Google got back to me, and they already responded to one of my complaints and removed the article. That being said with the scale of the theft, removing the individuals articles is not enough. These guys need to be shut down.

1. sen.sush23 profile image60
      sen.sush23posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, those who have already contacted Google, please go ahead on behalf of those others who may not be so regularly checking out for theft, and inform on the site- all the Indian music articles atleast were from Hubpages. This I can confirm. They have even copied the images, so that's double larceny!

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Cool, man. I haven't received any response from Google yet but I will be checkin' my e-mail on an hourly basis till something turns up. Yeah, I'm THAT pissed about this. Haha.

You're welcome, glad I could help.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Just curious, how long did it take for'em to get back to you, Spartucus? It's been about 24 hours since I filed my heap o' complaints and haven't heard back from 'em on any of them yet.

I haven't heard anything yet, either and neither has my best friend.

Boo. That sucks.

On the other hand, maybe they're so swamped with complaints about this thieving choad that it's just taking a while to get to ours, huh Georgie?

Hopefully they'll get to them soon, or I may have to resort to tarring and feathering! wink

2. spartucusjones profile image91
        spartucusjonesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I filed my first DCMA report shortly after I emailed you yesterday around 5pm. So the first one was removed with in a few hours. I received 3 more notifications today about my articles being removed. I still have 6 more that they haven't responded to yet. I still have a few more DCMA's that I haven't filled out yet. Even though I am glad that they are responding, it annoys me that the site is not being shut down. In each of the complaints I emphasized the fact that not only was a number of my articles were stolen, but that the whole site was mostly made up of content copied from Hubpage's writers. I would hope that Google would decide it is easier to shut the the site down, than have to deal with all of the DCMA complaints.

I am sorry that you and Georgie and her friend haven't received a response yet.

6. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 11 years ago

Thank you very much for starting this thread, FatFreddysCat. I've only written a few music hubs, but I thought I should check the site that you mentioned. I've already found one of my hubs there. I'll follow the link that you provided to report it.

7. sen.sush23 profile image60
    sen.sush23posted 11 years ago

Hi, I do not have any music hub, except for one movie review. But I did notice a score of hubs from an Indian friend on Bollywood music- all pinched and grandly showcased on this site. Thanks for this forum thread- and I think we should try to tell those friends who may not have noticed that their hubs have been stolen.

8. sparkster profile image84
    sparksterposted 11 years ago

DMCA sent.  Just saw this on the Google DMCA page:

"Many Google Services do not have account holders or subscribers. For Services that do, Google will, in appropriate circumstances, disable the accounts of repeat infringers. If you believe that an account holder or subscriber is a repeat infringer, please follow the instructions above to contact Google's DMCA agent and provide information sufficient for us to verify that the account holder or subscriber is a repeat infringer. "

9. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

Filed a DMCA report for two of my hubs! Thanks for spotting this!

10. Patrick Widdess profile image83
    Patrick Widdessposted 11 years ago

There's one of mine too. Thanks for the tip off.

No problem dude. Go git'em!!

11. Sapper profile image62
    Sapperposted 11 years ago

Silly people don't know how to properly autoblog.

I'd say that the guy in charge of this site doesn't know how to blog at all ... that's why he's stealing material from everybody else!

12. midget38 profile image86
    midget38posted 11 years ago

Thanks, some of my hubs were stolen too. Will file a report.

13. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Just checked my e-mail and I have gotten responses to two of my requests from Google, stating that the copied articles will be removed from coolmusicarena. Woohoo!! Two down, four to go. I am hoping that responses to the other four will be rolling in shortly.

The system works!!

1. sparkster profile image84
      sparksterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Still haven't heard anything about my DMCA complaint, my articles are still there too.

14. Jools99 profile image88
    Jools99posted 11 years ago

3 of mine and I spotted numerous others from HP, disgusting!

1. MartieCoetser profile image69

Thank you, Julie, for letting me know about this....

smile

15. MartieCoetser profile image69
    MartieCoetserposted 11 years ago

Thank you FatFreddysCat - I have reported my stolen article, AND I have left the as*@le a snotty comment.  He/she must be either stupid or arrogant, creating an entire blog with stolen content!

1. midget38 profile image86
      midget38posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Or lazy.

Or desperately trying to make money. Look at all his blogs ~ with Adsense. I have lost my Adsense account due to a simple error made by Google. At first they denied adsense, but just a week later on my other email account they allow it. Now, time for paying me, they apparently discovered THEIR err, but blaming me, and closed my account. I still don't have a clue what to do about this. But look at this dishonest gold-digger ~  http://www.blogger.com/profile/04073912848293016550

16. FatFreddysCat profile image93

I agree... I might also add lazy, dishonest, underhanded, and a host of other terms that are probably not printable in a family forum big_smile

Come on people, let's keep piling on the DMCA complaints and get this guy and his lame-ass site shut down for good!!

17. FatFreddysCat profile image93

^^^ Ummm... I have no idea what any of that means. Could you possibly dumb it down a little for a middle aged dumbass like myself? big_smile

Did you notice the phone number? The person is from Queensland. Site was registered on 14 February.... So, if you are in his region, just walk over and punch him on the nose. Damn hooligan(s)!

Queensland, as in Australia? Wow. Unfortunately that's a little out of my area, as I'm in New Jersey, USA. That would quite a long walk to punch someone in the nose. It would probably be very satisfying though!! big_smile

If there are any Aussies on the forum who would like to do it on our behalf, feel free. We won't tell anybody. smile

18. ilscherzo profile image66
    ilscherzoposted 11 years ago

Usually whois-ing domains don't help... Unless you intend to contact their hosting.

19. Sunshine625 profile image85
    Sunshine625posted 11 years ago

I had three hubs stolen and I reported this site and my stolen hubs to Google. We all need to report our hubs so we could take this site down.

20. FunHouse profile image67
    FunHouseposted 11 years ago

This guy has to be stopped!

And it's not just music hubs that should be on the look out. I checked his profile http://www.blogger.com/profile/04073912848293016550 and he has lots of blogs (and quite a few already have domains) I googled some of the articles from various ones and they are all stolen content! At a quick look I couldn't find any from Hubpages (I only checked two sites) but there easily could be. I already notified one blogger that his blog was stolen in hopes he to will send a DMCA, maybe we should spread the word a bit more as this needs to go away ASAP.

Holy crap. This dude's been a busy beaver. Let's string him up!!!

21. profile image0
    apimentel33posted 11 years ago

Thankfully another hubber also pointed out to me that one of my hubs was copied onto this website. I reported it to Google and left a comment on the webpage asking for them to take it down since it's my material. Very frustrating.

22. sleepylog profile image62
    sleepylogposted 11 years ago

Why don't you all take the offender to court? Clearly he/she/them have clearly broken international copyright laws.

23. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Same here Sparkster - I got responses to two of my complaints out of six. Still waiting to hear back about the other four.

24. HattieMattieMae profile image61
    HattieMattieMaeposted 11 years ago

hmm...I didn't see any of mine, but thanks for the heads up! Hope you bring them down like we have before. smile

25. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Just checked the coolmusicarena.com web site and got a page saying "BLOG NOT FOUND." Looks like he's been shut down.

WOO HOO!! WE WON! WE WON!! Good riddance ya thievin' bastard!!! (opens beer, does happy dance!)

I just saw that. I'm still bitter about it, though, and am questioning whether or not I want to publish any more anything. sad

Awww c'mon Georgie. You can't quit!!! If you quit, the terrorists win. Or somethin' like that. big_smile

It happens to the best of us. This is actually my second go-round with content theft since I've been a Hubber, it sucks but it's also satisfying when the thieves finally get their much deserved virtual ass kickin'.

2. Sapper profile image62
        Sapperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are looking at it the wrong way. In order for him to "steal" your content, he had not only find it, but also think it was good enough to get him traffic. Always have to look at the bright side.

That is awesome! Even though it is a pain to have to deal with it, it is good that the thief got what he deserved!

Georgie, please don't throw in the towel. Unfortunately theft comes with the territory. But don't let the bastards grind you down. Besides Hubpages wouldn't be the same without my favorite potty mouthed redneck!

3. HattieMattieMae profile image61
      HattieMattieMaeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yay! Glad to know no one can ever get away with stealing our writing on hubpages. We always seem to bring them sites down. smile We all make a good team!

26. profile image0
    Joanne M Olivieriposted 11 years ago

That is so wonderful and in record time. Congrats!

Glad it's down!

27. LongTimeMother profile image93
    LongTimeMotherposted 11 years ago

Okay, this aussie took up the challenge, but I can't be sure it would worth the drive to punch anyone in the nose. lol smile

If you are interested, other people seem to be complaining about the same person.
    This link will lead to you to their discussion ... http://www.moneyfanclub.com/closed-prog … mmers.html

Same company name, same phone number, but address on the other side of the world ....

Name: Domain Admin
    Company: PrivacyProtect.org
    Address:

P.O. Box 97
    All Postal Mails Rejected, visit Privacyprotect.org

City: Moergestel
    State:
    Zip: 5066 ZH
    Tel No: 45 36946676
    Fax No:
    Email:

PS. The 45 makes no sense in an australian number. The other digits could be in Qld if we put 07 in front. I'm certainly not calling it in the middle of the night local time though. It could be an elderly person who needs their sleep. !

1. Sapper profile image62
      Sapperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That isn't his information. It's a proxy, nothing more than a company that registers domains for you to keep your info private.

28. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Well, now that his web site has been shut down I don't feel the need to punch him in the nose anymore... but it might be satisfying to send him a nice big box of dog poo in the mail. big_smile Unfortunately I doubt it would get thru customs from the USA.

29. MartieCoetser profile image69
    MartieCoetserposted 11 years ago

I just got this message from Google. The blog no longer exists ~

removals@google.com
    10:13 PM (32 minutes ago)

to support-portal, me
    Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Upon recent review of the following URLs, we were unable to locate the content in question. If this matter is still a concern, please reply to this email with detailed information to enable us to locate the content and we will further investigate your request. Thank you very much for your cooperation and assistance in this matter.

http://www.coolmusicarena.com/2013/02/t … 3976903488

Regards,
    The Google Team

Yep, I got that same response from Google to four out of my six DMCA complaints. I guess by the time they got around to the bulk of my complaints, the site was already shut down.

I got a number of those emails as well. They responded to about 5 of my complaints, but I sent out 15 overall. So most of them they didn't get around to until after the site was shutdown.

Me too. Guess it's not necessary when the site's already down.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)