Google Panda

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

Google's Matt Cutts, speaking at Search Marketing Expo yesterday, said that Panda refreshes will still take place monthly but will be applied over a ten-day period.  He also said that the refreshes are now "relatively small compared to the normal index flux."

There hasn't been a refresh in about six weeks because, according to Cutts, Google is working on a new signal to help bring a few sites "out of the grey zone and do a little better."

So, any traffic dips you've seen in the past six weeks are not from Panda, but still could be a result of the main Google search algorithm (which makes changes about 500 times per year.)

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

And?

Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What it means, Will, is that if you lost traffic over the past six weeks, it wasn't due to Panda.

And?

Edit: just to shorten the process. Why don't you tell us who has had a major traffic shift in the last few weeks and who you blame.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Let's all hope HP is one of the sites Cutts would like to parole from the gray zone.  Feeling very gray lately . . .

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

Google are working on a new signal because Matt Cutts can't tell his ass from his elbow.

That's why they have messed about with this for TWO YEARS now.

TWO YEARS of what?

Improving? Changing? Tweaking?

I love the way he consistently rolls out 'minor whatevers' and presents them as some sort of solution to anything.  I Google stuff and it is garbage.  Their adverts are garbage.  They steal content and misuse our information.

Well done Matt.  What's next?  Another 'improvement'?

3. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

I thought Panda was real-time now! I'm getting perturbed... Could someone post the link to the article?

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Panda could not possibly do a real-time check of the entire HubPages site each time someone does a query.  So that is a LIE.

It may do some vague measurement of absolute pointless crap - but they will still have to run a deep-dive process every so often.

Google cannot measure quality.  They have a vague stab at it and add a large amount of manual favortism and penalty.

Remember. This company misuses our personal information and unfairly promotes its own sites.  Would you trust a single word from them?

I would not. They are a business on the edge of failure as the world moves on and away to the next thing - whatever that is.  They have a search engine.

Well whoop-de-do.

Every time you say something like this a fairy dies.

2. Writer Fox profile image31

The conference is still going on today.  There's a video of the talk, but the sound is really low quality.  Looks like someone made it with a cell phone.  The video is over an hour long and the Panda discussion starts at about 8 minutes in:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_jyMt5CPmE

There are also a few thousand live-blogging tweets if you want to check Twitter.

4. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 10 years ago

it takes google about three days to crawl HubPages.  It was around May 9th that the last panda took a hit on HP.  We know quality is getting better.  I really love how many people have been improving their Hubs and making new hubs that are fantastic.

My Hubber score took a hit because I published 2 new Hubs.  Makes me feel like HP doesn't like new Hubs being published.

1. EricDockett profile image96
        EricDockettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Your Hubber score may have taken a hit because (presumably) average Hubscore is a factor in Hubber score.  With only 23 Hubs, if you publish 2 which start out with low scores it will impact your Hubber score.  If you had 200 Hubs you probably would not have noticed.

I just say this because some newbies have made this correlation before and erroneously concluded that they shouldn't publish Hubs as often  just so their Hubber score stays a few ticks higher. Hubberscore isn't the goal here.   Doesn't matter if its 100 or 90 or 80 as long as you're doing everything else right.

Also, I can't imagine HubPages wouldn't want to see new Hubs published as often as possible . . . as long as they are good.  :-)

I appreciate your input here.  That makes a lot of sense.

2. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
        Paul Edmondsonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Of course we love new hubs!  Fawntia is working on HubScore changes.  This should happen a lot less.

Please tell Fawntia that when she raises her own Hubber score, that I would like her to raise mine, too.  Thank you.

"It takes google about three days to crawl HubPages."

Could be because Google has to crawl 2,406,552 forum posts.  These forum pages do not pass through quality ratings and bring down the overall quality of the entire site.

1. Greekgeek profile image78
        Greekgeekposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure that Google is intelligent enough to know the difference between user forums (which have a lot of boneheaded chatter, but provide value to visitors) and the main content of a site. Most major content sites have member forums.

No.  Google leaves it up to the webmaster to determine what pages Google should crawl with this caveat:

"Every page of your site should offer significant value to your audience."

2. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

That's not quite right.  A significant portion of forum threads and QnA are no indexed.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
          paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What!?! Going through my Q&A source code as we speak...

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
            paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Follow-up:

Well, well... Apparently I'd already deleted the ones that might have had the noindex tag. No new ones found. Great minds think alike. big_smile

site:http://hubpages.com/forum
          Google shows 20,600 pages of forum posts in its index.

site:http://hubpages.com
          Google shows 911,000 pages indexed on the entire site.  Less than 1/2 are Hubs.

1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

Don't put too much stock in site: search accuracy. 

A very small fraction of the total pages from forums are indexed.  It's been that way for about 1 yr now.

Before we no indexed hubs we ran tests in forums and QnA....

Are subdomains with no Hubs being indexed?

2. aa lite profile image85
            aa liteposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think Paul is right that the site:search often returns inaccurate info.  I don't know if this has something to do with it, but it probably does.  If you've ever used Steal Keyword Analyser, you will know that the program uses something called "true #of sites" for a particular topic as a competition measure.

This is because the guy who wrote the software (Alex Safie?) discovered that when Google says there are 10000000 results for a search, that is actually not quite true.  If you go deeply enough into the SERPs, like page 100+ it will show you the "google isn't showing any more results because they are very similar to the ones already shown". 

When I did that on my subdomain, sure Google included the idled hubs in the number of results.  The idled hubs were hidden and when I tried to see them G told me they couldn't be shown because of robot.txt file.

So I think when it says x results for hubpages, at least some idled hubs are included in the number.  The number can also be very different on different days.

Unfortunately I can't remember where I read the stealth guy's explanation which was much better than my confused rendering.  He also tells you how to search so you get the "real number".

5. jericho911 profile image57
    jericho911posted 10 years ago

And ebay and youtube

6. cornwall_UK profile image70
    cornwall_UKposted 10 years ago

Talking of losing traffic ...... try typing into google: Attraction in [your town name]

A HUGE black banner now appears, offering searchers attractions in your town that people might be looking for, with super-beguiling images.

If they start doing that for all subjects,  there'll be no space left for writers as all results will go directly and only to websites of "real businesses".

OH NOES!

smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)