WHY ME?!

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Michael Kismet profile image92
    Michael Kismetposted 9 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11701723.jpg
    Why have I been singled out with an all-time-low, forum-contest-winning, starting hub score of zero? It is now at a booming score of "8" thankfully.  Every hub I've published so far, was featured and started around 65, and worked their way up.  This is first and only one that has started at zero.  Why me?!

1. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think the site's having issues today. Because that is an unusually low score. I've had one pretty low recently, but not that low. Probably things will be back to normal soon and you'll have a normal *starting out* score on that Hub. Really that's the only explanation because I've never seen a score that low.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is certainly weird.  In the "old days", before QAP, a score of 0 usually meant that the Hub wasn't sufficiently original.  Are you sure you haven't already published any part of that Hub somewhere else?

3. RonElFran profile image97
      RonElFranposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I had this happen to me many moons ago. Turned out to be a site glitch that was fixed in a couple of days.

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

kis·met noun, often capitalized \ˈkiz-ˌmet, -mət\
    : a power that is believed to control what happens in the future

3. sparkleyfinger profile image86
    sparkleyfingerposted 9 years ago

I had a quick look over the hub, and there is nothing obvious that I can see to merit such a low score Perhaps HP have had an error? Or, they are scoring low so that you have the earn the score?? Either way, I'm sure it will pick up for you, as there seems to be nothing wrong with it!

4. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

The win is "destiny"?

5. CatherineGiordano profile image76
    CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years ago

This is not going to win for the lowest rated hub contest, but I had my hub about collections chosen as the hub of the day on Sunday. I got a lot of views. On the same day, my score dropped about 5 points down to 74.  One hand giveth and the other taketh away.

6. Michael Kismet profile image92

Oh Relache, always so helpful.  smile

I'm not sure if this is technically considered irony, my Hubber score is plummeting because of this little hub score artifact, I'm experiencing anxiety over a hub that is about overcoming anxiety, classic. I'm tempted to just delete it, or rather unpublish it, cause I'm too neurotic to withstand a Hubber score free fall.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I went and tweeted it; maybe that will help. HP is also pretty observant of the forums; there's a decent chance they might be looking into the matter. smile

7. Michael Kismet profile image92

Aw, you didn't have to go to the trouble of doing that!  Thank you PDS, for those actions, you are truly a king amongst men on these here forums, if only there were some sort of yearly contest where we could help bestow you with such a lofty title, but I only dream, maybe there will be something like that next year.  smile

8. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 9 years ago

I wonder if there is a glitch in the system to give a O score. That's crazy! It has to be an error.

9. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

My best advice is to go do something else for a day and let the Hub (which is only 15 hours old!) have some time to go through all the algorithms.

It's like giving birth to a baby and then wondering why the kid can't drive a car yet.

10. Michael Kismet profile image92

I reserved today to write two more hubs, which I am currently doing.  Thank you for your straight forward advice, but my proclivities on the matter I feel should not be overlooked, considering I've never had a hub score start that low, and seemingly no one else has either, I do believe that is grounds for a little concern?

1. Writer Fox profile image33
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Why don't you just try editing it again to send it back through QAP? Just changing a single word will do.

11. profile image0
    abrodechposted 9 years ago

Don't worry about the score, it doesn't matter. What you should be concerned with is your views because that's what shows your material is good and getting attention. Scores are just arbitrary because some of my most popular hubs that get several hundred views a day actually have pretty low scores.

12. Michael Kismet profile image92

Yes, it is weird, thank you for affirming that fact, Marisa.

That's a good idea Fox, I'll try that!

abrodech:  Thank you for trying to console me, but I think you missed the point of my little protest, what has happened to me is unprecedented, apparently, that is the source of my anxiety.

13. profile image0
    abrodechposted 9 years ago

Scores are silly, mine go up and down all the time on their own without me doing anything to them. So don't pay attention to them

14. Michael Kismet profile image92

yes I concur, but when you publish a hub and its score starts out at zero, and it's never been like that for anyone..that is the concern.

1. profile image0
      abrodechposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Count it as a glitch I guess, and move on

15. Michael Kismet profile image92

Ron!  Thank you for helping me get this weight of my proverbial shoulders!  Goes to show you, misery doesn't just love company, misery needs company.

16. WiccanSage profile image92
    WiccanSageposted 9 years ago

I was just going to post a question about that, too.

I published a hub yesterday. It is featured (H), and already had a few dozen visitors.

Tonight it has a hub score of 19-- huh?

Majority of my scores tend to stay above 70, with the exception of a few holiday hubs that sink down out of season. I couldn't imagine how I could get a score of 19.

I figure I'll give it a day or two, and if it doesn't change I'll end an e-mail to ask why. I'd rather unpublish it than have a hub with a score of 19 dragging me down.

17. Kalafina profile image65
    Kalafinaposted 9 years ago

Can anyone recommend a Hub with a good explanation on scores? My highest scoring Hub isn't the one with the most views nor is it the longest or contains a variety of capsule types.

1. WiccanSage profile image92
      WiccanSageposted 9 years agoin reply to this

As far as I can tell, they won't tell us how they figure scores because they don't want people attempting to scam the system. Pretty sure it takes a number of things into account, including views. But the highest scores are not always what get the most views,

1. Kalafina profile image65
        Kalafinaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm still new to HubPages and trying to figure out their system is a daunting task. It really helps to hear from someone about this. I always look for ways to improve my writing and am doing my best at changing lenses to hubs. Sorry if the question sounded stupid. I am doing my best to read through forums and have found so many wonderful hubs on here. To be perfectly honest I just want my writing to be an asset to all the great work here!

1. WiccanSage profile image92
          WiccanSageposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi and welcome. It didn't sound like a stupid question at all. It's a common question around here. People who want to improve naturally want to know; but it is apparently a secret formula kept in a vault at Fort Knox next to the Colonel's fried chicken recipe.

And a lot of people will attest that the score doesn't always do a good job of predicting success-- so don't worry too much about it. If a hub is featured, that's what's important. If not, keep tweaking and revising until it is.

1. Kalafina profile image65
            Kalafinaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I laughed so hard at your Colonel comment. I always did wonder where they kept that secret. And I will keep tweaking and revising smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)