jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)

Preevent copy and paste!

1. weezyschannel profile image86
    weezyschannelposted 2 years ago

I have had several issues with people copying and pasting my content- ALL OF IT-

I have tried to warn a few hunters  that I have found  they have copied and pasted (per copy scape) and they have made a whole website full of copied and pasted content from HubPages and elsewhere.

This seems to be an ongoing problem and I think hubpages would benefit us if they "copy" nonfunctional. As you know, it will not hurt us with hubpages; but it does hurt us with search engine's because of duplicate content

1. Writer Fox profile image80
      Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

This has been suggested before.  However, it won't prevent people from stealing your content.  If you right click on a Hub and 'View Source', all of your content can be taken from there and the professional scrapers have software to do that automatically.  This is true all over the Word Wide Web.

1. kenneth avery profile image84
        kenneth averyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Question: Is the sign of a good writer when scapers rip-off their content? and visa versa, the sign of an average writer is when the writer never has any worries about their content being scaped.

1. weezyschannel profile image86
          weezyschannelposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I'm Not quite sure what you are saying. I do worry about scraped content because I will be tagged in Google for duped content! 

Hope you weren't trying to say I'm not a good writer

1. Jean Bakula profile image98
            Jean Bakulaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Kenneth is too humble to suggest anyone would not be a good writer, he was probably thinking of himself for no reason, he is a wonderful writer.

Google may not even see the stolen stuff if the site that stole it is so obscure nobody visits it. That's the point I was trying to make. Do the DMCA's, they work. It scares people.

2. peachpurple profile image79
      peachpurpleposted 23 months ago in reply to this

i have 5 hubs being copied and pasted at expertscolumn by someone else. Warned them and the team but no action taken

Jean Bakulaposted 23 months ago in reply to this

It's so discouraging. I have carpal tunnel and am not writing as much as I used to. I came on and looked at my account for the first time in days, and see 3 more pieces have been stolen. I sometimes want to close my account, but I still make a little money on it, and think some people enjoy my pieces.

I have managed to get some of the stolen stuff down, but HP never takes those little red "c"s down, so it makes it even worse to look at your account page. Many people will take your work down if you just email them. It's a shame.

2. weezyschannel profile image86

willfinances.com is copy and pasting A ton of peoples pages and HubPages. I have found three of my hubs and four or five of other people's hubs. I mean he is just scrolling over the whole page copy and paste is all he's doing. The links aren't even hyperlinked. I think HubPages needs to be aware

1. classicalgeek profile image88
      classicalgeekposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That's an automatic scraper, so he's not copy/pasting, he's stealing source code. There's no way to prevent this, so just file a DMCA Notice of Infringement. Unfortunately only the copyright owner (you) can do this.

Hi weezyschannel,
        This has been suggested before. Sometimes if you find the site your work was copied on, you can just email the person and kindly suggest they take down your work, so you don't have to file complaints against them. It has worked for me several times.

Also, look at the site. If it's in another country, in a different language, or on a personal website that probably gets about 50 visitors a month, you probably aren't losing out on much. I know it makes you feel violated when someone steals your work, when you put so much effort into it.

If it is a large site and you see they were so arrogant you can't stand it, file the DMCA. It's not hard, directions and all you need are in the TOS of HP. Good luck to you. I wish HP would take the little red C's down when the work is taken down, I have had a lot of work stolen, word for word. The thieves are so lazy, they also take all the pictures and the text capsule where I advertise my blog, and I think it has brought more traffic to my blog, lol.

3. Shades-of-truth profile image87
    Shades-of-truthposted 2 years ago

I am glad that we have the ability to copy and paste for one reason, only. When used the Wayback Machine to locate articles of mine that I thought were gone forever, I was simple for me to copy and paste the content.

Other than that, I can understand how frustrating it is for others to plagiarize your hard work!

4. weezyschannel profile image86

I sent him a threatening email to turn him into the DMCA. The content was gone within five hours. But what pisses me off is that you can tell almost everyone of his articles are copied and pasted or scraped. The links are not hyperlinked for one. And I checked about six different pages that he had and checked them with copyscape- sure enough they all referred to HubPages.

This has been brought up so many times before, the site managers insist they can't do anything about it, that we have to individually file the DMCA's. But then we spend all our time doing that, and it makes you sick to see you hard work on some other site, even if it's in Chinese and you need to have it translated, or it's on somebody's blog that has three other pieces on it.