How did you become financially successful on Hubpages

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (94 posts)
  1. Mariasha profile image38
    Mariashaposted 8 years ago

I have started writing on Hubpages few months ago, but till now I have only earned $0.01 so far. I know that I have to be patient with adsense. But I am really keen to know if you did anything made you successful here? as I have nearly gave up at some period of time.  Please answer my question

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Don't give up.  View this as a place to learn how to write that takes time and a lot of effort.  Few here ever get to do this full time, but many make at least some money most months.

Good luck!

Mariashaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much for your nice advice but when you know that there are people who make thousands of dollars each month that makes you feel that there's like a recipe out there of making money from writing hubs

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
          Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There are possibly one or two that makes thousands here. The most I've heard was from one man that has well over that many hubs and just make over a thousand.

You will earn payout eventually if you continue to write, learn how to choose the right keywords. learn how to properly promote your work and write high-quality hubs. Everything takes patience.

Thank you very much for your nice advice  Barbara. I have heard it's all about how much  traffic. Is that true please? I am currently getting around 10 viewers everyday. Is that sounds good enough though?

1. Barbara Kay profile image73

Mariasha, Yes, traffic earns the money. You're going to have to write many more hubs to earn anything more than pennies. To be honest, if money is what you are interested in, there are better ways to earn it.

Actually I love writing and I love earning money. I thought it could be a good kind of business. If you have more ideas please let us know

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
                  Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If you want to make a living online, the best way is to write freelance - you get paid a lot more for your writing if you can find clients who will pay you to write articles.  However it is not easy to get those clients.  You need to sign up for freelance writing sites and you may have to write for very small amounts at first, until you can build up a reputation. 

Another alternative is to run your own websites or blogs.  To be successful with that, you need to learn many skills - not just the technical aspects of creating and maintaining sites, but also how to do your own marketing, how to run mailing lists, how to manage your own advertising - and be prepared for the fact that you'll spend about 10% of your time writing, and 90% of your time doing all that other, boring, stuff. 

Oh,and if you want to earn a living wage from either of the above, it's a full-time job.  Six or seven years ago, people wrote books like "The Four Hour Work Week" because it was possible to create a website, then sit back and let it collect the money while you relaxed on the beach.  It doesn't work like that any more.   Most bloggers and freelance writers I know, are working 40 to 50 hours a week to pay the bills.

Wow, thank you very much for your accointable suggestions.building my own website is a good idea. I would consider all these ideas in the near future. I think that anything you start doing in the beginning needs a lot of  time and patience until you gain its fruits.

2. Kylyssa profile image91
                    Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'd add to this that places like HubPages are great for doing some practice writing and finding out what kind of writing you do best according to your readers.

2. passionatelearnr profile image86
            passionatelearnrposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think promoting work,bringing people to your hubs is the hardest.Writing an article doesn't involve much effort as bringing traffic to it.

1. profile image0
              Diana Abrahamsonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

So true.. writing a hub is just the beginning. Getting people there takes a bit more time and effort!

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

Who is making thousands of dollars from HubPages?

in 2010, I knew lots of people making over $2,000 a month on HubPages.  Then, in early 2011, Google changed the way its search engine worked, and announced that it was "declaring war" on "content farms" - i.e. sites full of articles on a variety of subjects, contributed by amateur writers. 

Readership on HubPages was slashed by well over half - and of course, earnings were similarly reduced.  HubPages spent the next nine months desperately trying to recover the traffic and eventually succeeded - partially - by making some structural changes.  But the income has never got back to 2010 levels.  I don't know of anyone making even close to $1,000 a month today.

Other article sites have had the same problem - that's why most of them (like Squidoo, Associated Content/Yahoo! Voices, Suite101, Helium, Zujava, Xomba, Bubblews, and many more) have closed down since 2011.

HubPages today is a place to network with other writers, enjoy writing on whatever subject you like, learn the craft of online writing, and earn some handy pin-money - sometimes quite generous pin-money - doing what you love.  It's not a place to write for a living.

Thanks Maria Wright for your reply. I would definitely write about what I like. That's why I am still here smile

2. Barbara Kay profile image73

Marisa, There is a man that says he does. I can't remember his name, but as soon as I run across him again I'll let you know who he is. He has tons of sites and promotes his hubs through his sites. Google loves his sites, so it gives him good link juice. He is the only writer here that I've ever heard do that well.

I agree with you though, that this is not a good way to earn money anymore.

1. Solaras profile image94
              Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You are thinking of Thomas Byers - Crazyhorsesghost. He has over 10 million views here and was planning on earning $1000 a day at HP, last time he chimed in on the Forums. He has not been active here or anywhere online that I can tell since early 2015.

I am concerned about him.  Has anyone heard from him in the last 6 months?

Yes, he posted a response to one of my forums, so he's still around.  He's not the only one here who has had that many views, but most of them were earned before Google tightened the reins on HP.   One writer here had a hub go viral last year.  It got about 2 1/2 million views almost overnight.  So, sometimes you get lucky!

Yes definitely if he could do it maybe a lot of us can do it too. Isn't it?  We just have to keep the hopes up

The important point with CrazyHorsesGhost is that he has over a thousand Hubs.   Earning one dollar per month per Hub is certainly achievable - creating a thousand Featured Hubs is a different story!

CHG puts in an enormous amount of effort to achieve those figures.

Furthermore, he's been here 8 years, so probably enjoyed a great deal of success before Google got ugly.  He puts far more work into marketing than any other writer I'm aware of, so he's earning every penny.

2. Barbara Kay profile image73

The person I was thinking of was somebody else entirely. There are 2 people earning that kind of money then. The clue seems to be to have other successful websites that point to hubs here and to have the experience to know what you are doing..

I've always admired CrazyHorseGhost too. I hope everything is alright there.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

I think what's more meaningful is to talk about earnings per Hub rather than monthly totals.   As I said, Crazyhorsesghost's earnings sound great, until you realise he has over 1,000 Hubs.    So if he is indeed earning $1,000 a month, that is still an average of only $1 a Hub - a figure which is good but not remarkable.   What's remarkable is achieving 1,000 Hubs and keeping them all Featured!

1. Solaras profile image94
                    Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Before Panda - I believe he was earning $1000.00 a day. LOL  He expected that he could achieve that again, and was focusing on making his own videos to achieve the goal, along with a myriad of websites pointing back to HP.  He was also putting up signs on busy street corners advertising his websites with easy to remember addresses.

He has a 37 videos under knobbylives, one of which has 2.4 million views. Dale Hyde said Youtube was very good to him as well.

2. Galaxy-Gal profile image59
      Galaxy-Galposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm pretty new and so far I've made 7¢. In terms of time, I make much more writing and editing for clients. But I didn't come here for that; this is a place where you can focus on creating content and not worry about the platform. It's also a place where you can experiment and become part of a community of like-minded people. All that makes it worth it. The money is just for fun. I hope to earn enough to buy a bottle of wine someday.

You're off to a good start with 5 hubs posted in only 2 weeks and a Hubber score of 85.  By the way, it is against the TOS for people to say what their earnings are here.  You can be banned for doing that.

On the brighter side, keep up the good work.  Continue to produce quality work and the money will come.

1. Galaxy-Gal profile image59

Thanks TT2, for both the complement and letting me know that it's against the TOS for posting earnings. I hope my windfall will go unnoticed!

I doubt they'll bother you about it because you are so new, but they can be quite serious about people following this rule.  Lots of newbies make the same mistake (and some old timers, too).  I think you're going to do really well here.

1. Galaxy-Gal profile image59

If I get to 94 I'll be thrilled!

It's been as high as 100, but those scores change regularly.  I ignore them and just try to write the best articles I can.  It's a lot less stressful.  By the way, a score of 85 for a newbie is really a good one.

3. passionatelearnr profile image86

I understand your feelings.same condition here.I wonder if my hubs will ever get traffic enough to make money.

4. Robie Benve profile image96
      Robie Benveposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't make tons of money, but in my experience you have to invest quite a bit of time writing stellar hubs before you can see anything over a few cents. I think I reached monthly payout when I had about 60 hubs. At about 90 hubs I slowed down with the writing and mainly updated them regularly.
      The reason why I kind of stopped writing is that my content was stolen and replicated all over the web. Huge bummer. And filing complaints is time consuming and usually totally useless. Anyway, once you get to $1-2 a day you get paid every month and it's nice. smile

Super advice to me. Million thanks Robie. I was looking for this information and you have just answered it for me. I am currently earning few cents every day. Hopefully I start earning dollars soon ☺

2. Millionaire Tips profile image92
    Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years ago

It takes some people at least a year before they see any substantial earnings.  Also these people have written a lot of high-quality hubs.

Yeah, I am pretty sure you are right of what you said but maybe there are some more things I need to know of making money from hubpages

3. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 years ago

If and when I ever become "financially successful" at this, I'll come back and let you know how I did it. big_smile

Thanks for your reply smile

2. profile image0
      Snakesmumposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You said it, and I have to agree!  :-)

3. Elsie Hagley profile image71
      Elsie Hagleyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I will do the same.

Yes, we would love your participation with us again

1. lovetherain profile image78
          lovetherainposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You really need to work on grammar, spelling, punctuation etc. And writing a huge wall of text turns people off as well.

4. profile image0
    Sienna Aspenposted 8 years ago

Good question - I have read about this also and it seems as though you have to write a lot of hubs and hopefully one of them will take off and be your money maker smile I am still trying to figure this out as well...

Yeah, I think you are referring to the 80/20 principle here

5. ILoveLegosToo profile image83
    ILoveLegosTooposted 8 years ago

It helps when you can drive income from multiple sources within HP and different properties outside of HP. 

Prior to my involvement on HP, the previous platform that I was swimming in (no longer exists), I had more income from sales commissions than I had from the ads category.  There's certainly a balance of writing vs. selling, and from my point of view, both need to be part to allow HP authors to pursue the financial aspects of writing.  At the moment, the selling side has received a lot of flack and has been scaled back, I think the pendulum will swing back towards loosening the sales side at some point.

So you could successfully make good amount of money from HP?

Don't count on it.  What Marisa said just about sums it up.

6. clivewilliams profile image73
    clivewilliamsposted 8 years ago

Write more hubs, stay a while longer. Promote your hubs. then in time the pennies will fall through

7. Chriswillman90 profile image89
    Chriswillman90posted 8 years ago

Excellent summary by Marisa. I think every new hubber who's curious about financial success and making money by writing needs to read that little excerpt. It may not be the most optimistic but it's factual and people need to understand that.

+1

8. profile image55
    celestine250posted 8 years ago

I've been in hub pages for half a year now and i haven't earned a penny.I'm starting to believe its probably not worth it.

I am better than you by some pennies so far. I think just keep the faith up and continue writing. Someday (hopefully soon) we will be able to make fair amount of money from writing hubs

Come back when you have 50 or more good hubs under your belt and aren't earning.  5 is not nearly enough to be earning much at all.

I joined hubpages a few months ago,sometimes i wonder if it was the right decision.Hopefully earning money on my own site won't be so hard as here.

Wow, congratulations for hosting your own site

1. passionatelearnr profile image86

Thank you,Mariasha i'm just thinking of hosting a site .I don't have my own blog yet.;-)

Hosting your own site might be a good decision if you would get good traffic there

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

With only 9 hubs it is highly unlikely that you will make much money here.  Usually 50 to 100 hubs that are well written and on searchable topics is what you need.  Don't complain about money if you are not willing to make enough of an effort to earn it.  Writing online is a competitive, hard business and it takes a lot of work to do even reasonably well here.

The person spoken about earlier who has been so successful?  He has over 1000 hubs.  How do your 9 stack up to that??

I know that I have write more of high quality hubs. I just gave at some time that's all

Thank you timetraveller.i will keep that in mind next time i begin to start worrying about earning money here.;-)

9. LauraD093 profile image72
    LauraD093posted 8 years ago

You don't

10. Mariasha profile image38
    Mariashaposted 8 years ago

Guys, I am very thankful to all you responses and I appreciate all your advices. You have made things clear for me here in HP, but I still have a question and it would be very appreciative it if you can answer it for me too. Thanks God currently I am earning $0.01 every day. I am very appreciative to this one cent per day but is there anyway I can increase this amount by ad program?

1. ologsinquito profile image82
      ologsinquitoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Mariasha, this might be a good place to start and to earn a little. But most of the people earning a living have their own sites. I use my HP income to pay for hosting, a paid keyword tool and other things I need for my own sites. You can increase what you earn by writing more articles and driving more traffic. Eventually, though, if you want to earn money, you'll probably need your own site or sites. It's not as difficult as it sounds. If I can do it anyone can.

Thank you ologsinquito, for your encouraging words.

I have a question ologsinquito,hosting sites and writing articles is your full time job or part time?

Hi passionatelearnr, this is my full-time job. It's a lot of work!

Is it a profitable enough to be a full time job for you? Can you give us some figures you earn per month please?

3. Mariasha profile image38

Super advice Ologsinquito, highly appreciated. Thanks a lot

4. Chriswillman90 profile image89
        Chriswillman90posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I want to launch my own site but am unsure where to begin. Where do you recommend going if you're a beginner/amateur?

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
          Mark Ewbieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I went to Weebly.  It is free at the base level but I pay about five dollars a month to get rid of their footer adverts.  Now I have a site with no adverts.  Apart from mine.

1. Chriswillman90 profile image89

Thank you, Weebly was the one I heard about but wasn't sure how good it was. In the end I don't to exceed having more than a couple sites, so I want to be 100 percent certain about the tools used.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
              Mark Ewbieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

People will tell you different things.  I am not interested in SEO, HTML and all that stuff.  I am happy with Weebly.  Easy to use, fun - it suits for me.

Blogger or WordPress.com

I used to recommend Weebly, it is easy to use but it has several drawbacks for serious blogging. PM me if you would like some help getting started

1. Chriswillman90 profile image89

Thank you Marisa, I'm still in the planning stages but I could definitely use your help in the near future.

Mariasha, I don't feel comfortable sharing exact figures in this forum. But it's safe to say I'm now making a lot more on my own sites than I'm making here. It's happened in much less time as well. The key was good training, and good support. I think it would be very difficult to just jump in and do it on your own. Be careful of these Internet marketing gurus. There are a lot of scam artists who will promise you the world, and then cut you loose after taking your money. Weebly is a mistake I made along the way. I ended up moving that site to Wordpress after a short period of time.

Thanks ,ologsinquito.I don't intend to make it my full time job.Can i still earn good.

2. Mariasha profile image38

Thanks everyone one for all your help by making things clear for us as beginner writers. Ologsinquito, can you tell us how you are marketing your website please?

Hi Mariasha, sorry it took so long to respond. I don't check in here as frequently as I used to. I am trying to use very good keywords, as well as social media promotion. The biggest thing though is content. People have to be interested and searching for what you're writing about.

It's alright, you can take your time answering questions. I am very grateful that you are sharing your experience with us. Can I ask you how you choose your keywords please?  I have heard that people are using adwords, is that a good way for searching good keywords for your hubs? Please tell us more

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)