How Did Hubs Sent to Niche Sites Do This Month?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Jean Bakula profile image92
    Jean Bakulaposted 7 years ago

I saw a big improvement in the payout I made today, because of the hubs that were moved to niche sites. But when I check the stats of those hubs, what I see is different. They get a big spike in views the first day or two after they are moved, then the stats sort of flatline. Is this happening to anyone else?

I'm happy with the results, but worry it's only very temporary.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

A good number of my hubs were moved almost immediately to niche sites and the majority have done exceptionally well since the beginning and continue to do so.  Money is up, ad income is up, page views are up.  This month I have had more views overall than I have ever had in any month during all of my years here.

Even though I attribute some of this to the fact that I am "in my season" right now, views have gone way beyond what I ever expected.

I think they will drop back once summer ends, but then only 23 have been moved so far, and I have another 72 that may be added later.  If that happens, things should go very well, indeed.

2. moonlake profile image82
      moonlakeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Just a couple hubs moved to niche site. All my hubs are featured. Money and views down.

Jean Bakulaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Maybe they just need a little more time? I also don't always agree with the categories they get put in. I've been going through hubs and changing some of those. I hope it gets better for you.

3. profile image62
      LouiseTeachposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes, my first hub (under another of my profile names and after I returned to HubPages) was moved to "Wander Wisdom," and I noticed this with that hub.

4. OldRoses profile image93
      OldRosesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I had one old hub and three new hubs moved to Dengarden.  The views plummetted on the old hub.  The new hubs have had very few views.  If it wasn't for Pinterest, I would be completely out of business.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
    LuisEGonzalezposted 7 years ago

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13079760.png

Does this answer your question???

1. profile image62
      LouiseTeachposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Lol

3. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 7 years ago

http://nflwonderlictestscores.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/downarrow.png

Thanks Luis and calculus-geometry,
      That's what I figured smile

4. Chriswillman90 profile image92
    Chriswillman90posted 7 years ago

They've been good for me but obviously a lot depends on the individual niche site and the content you're creating.

Hi Chris,
      All of my hubs are featured. I wrote many of them 3 or 4 years ago, and kept updating them as each change came. Or at least as much as possible. It seems to me some of the niche sites have too many categories, possibly defeating the purpose. Owlcation, for instance. Education is such as broad topic. They have Tech stuff, Humanities and so many other topics, it may have been better to separate those. I guess time will tell.

1. Chriswillman90 profile image92
        Chriswillman90posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Interesting, perhaps they aren't niche enough then. I know they're still fresh with a lot of changes necessary so I'd give it a few more months and see what will happen next. Maybe they will create additional sites if the topics are too broad.

5. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 7 years ago

Almost 1/3 of my hubs have been moved so far. What I've noticed is that there is a tendency to do better for a short while, then reverse. But then after maturing on the niche site the traffic expands well beyond what it was before. Overall, my traffic has more than doubled on average across the niche sites.

Hi Glenn,
      That's about how many of my hubs were moved too. I have a defined niche, so I did do well so far. They began moving my hubs mid June, and the payout was the best I've seen in about two years. I guess it is a matter of giving the hubs more time to mature on the niche sites.

I also have a lot of material I wrote for other sites. I took them off about a year ago, and they were just sitting. I added 3 to HP, and two of them were automatically moved to niche sites. So I think now they are looking at newer stuff first.

Take care.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
        Glenn Stokposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jean, Yes, I think you're right about moving newer hubs first. I had two new hubs moved shortly after I published them about a month ago. But I still keep getting notices about additional old ones being moved once in a while to various niche sites.

The results of traffic and revenue increases are motivating me to fix old hubs. I've been doing my own snipping in preparation for possible selection for additional moves.

I'm finding that less Amazon ads are better. They don't overwhelm the reader. My finding is that too many choices makes people choose nothing. But with just one ad, they click it and Amazon is known to show them other choices anyway.  I've been having Amazon sales almost every day now.

1. Will Apse profile image88
          Will Apseposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Quite right. You don't want to give people choices. Better to trick them onto the Amazon site with text links then hope that they cannot resist temptation.

2. Jean Bakula profile image92

I rarely use Amazon hubs anymore, I never made any money on them. Plus, the administration doesn't understand how some of my chosen Amazon products related to my niche. It isn't really worth it for me.

I have also been fixing up old hubs. Even though I write about evergreen topics, I've been surprised a few times when I reread the hubs and realized a few small changes were necessary.

It's good to know someone else is experiencing similar results as me.

I took a peak at one of your Hubs with Amazon ads.  The one about Venus In Capricorn. I see you didn't include any personal description of how you use the products yourself. That might be the reason why they are not working for you.

I do often put books in my Amazon capsules, and still do my Astrology work myself, not using any programs. The programs leave out important things and add things that barely matter.

Since I learned all I know about Astrology from my extensive library of reference books, it never occurred to me to say that I used them in Amazon capsules. The first hub I wrote here was how to cast your own horoscope, and I gave all the titles of the books needed (not in an Amazon capsule, as part of the hub). It's since been taken down, though I may put it back up.

Since I've been taking Amazon capsules off, I don't think I'll put them back on. But thanks anyway Glenn. And I find books don't make much money on Amazon when we try to sell them here.

2. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Good news, hope I end up with the same results, thanks for the info. I think I'm in the 1st stage with the initial boost.

6. agilitymach profile image94
    agilitymachposted 7 years ago

I have half of my Hubs on niche sites. They are doing FABULOUS!!  I am up probably 350 percent.

7. revolutionbjj profile image89
    revolutionbjjposted 7 years ago

No difference whatsoever.  3 have moved so far to howtheyplay.

8. makingamark profile image71
    makingamarkposted 7 years ago

For what it's worth all the squidoo lenses moved here and converted to Hubs did very well for a short while and then dropped back a lot re. traffic

At the time it was blamed on a Google algorithm change - but maybe what was experienced is much more typical re Google's response to new URLs.

9. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 7 years ago

I've only had a few moved but overall traffic has more than doubled, so has payment, so I'm a happy hubbing bunny.

Can't wait for more to 'go'.

10. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 7 years ago

Only one of mine is doing much better with views. The others never got out of the gate. But overall traffic is better I think because more of my hubs are getting visits thanks to the niche hubs promoting "more by this author." Earnings are up as well.

1. WordCrafter09 profile image67
      WordCrafter09posted 7 years agoin reply to this

janshares, for you it is a case of the one that's doing well on the niche being in an area/on a subject of in which you're particularly strong/expert driving/"encouraging" traffic to Hubs in the same area/subject that, maybe, don't make the cut for a niche site (maybe for a reason like not enough images, of whatever).  OR, is your niche article just a traffic-getter that meets niche standards (but is unrelated to background/expertise not directly related to the niche Hub?

And, is the increased traffic for you  in general a matter of someone's finding the niche article on whatever subject it is, and then, maybe, only looking for/reading  other Hubs on THAT subject (like a food niche article that gets traffic to other food articles versus a psychology-related related niche article that draws traffic to other non-niche psychology-related Hubs you have?

I don't do much on here these days (under either user-name) because I'm trying to figure out which, if any, approach to take with different types of Hubs; but among the several things I'm trying to sort out (and basesd on this thread), is whether (subdomains or no subdomains) there is still some sense in any user keeping Hubs to his own, individual, "niche type" subjects....

1. janshares profile image94
        jansharesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You raise some very good points to explore, WordCrafter09. I'd have to look at each hub and niche to get answers. I can, however, give you one good example of what I believe is the problem. My ground turkey meatball hub was the first one picked for a niche site, three months ago. It was doing well before that, maybe 20 to 40 views a day, higher on weekends. It now gets less than 5 a day. I think it was misplaced under "beef dishes" because there is no turkey subcategory. It makes me sad but there's nothing I can do about it.
        Edit: It has 1 view today. sad

11. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 7 years ago

My Hubs are on 11 niche sites now and the number of views and money earned has increased significantly and steadily for all of them ever since the first Hub was moved over. I wish you all best success!

12. Max Dalton profile image82
    Max Daltonposted 7 years ago

I've got a few hubs that have been on niche sites for a little while now, and the performance has been strong and stable. Hopefully this keeps up.

13. Solaras profile image95
    Solarasposted 7 years ago

My experience matches that of AgilityMACH. Up 350% on views and earnings and holding steady for 3 months now.

14. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

Before people go putting Amazon ads on all their pages again, it is worth remembering that the only pages that will get you Amazon sales are pages about products.

If you are writing about anything else you are wasting your time (you will not get many sales) and you are spamming your reader.

So, if someone searches for 'Books about Venus in Capricorn' then review a few and give Amazon links.

If someone searches for 'Venus in Capricorn' there is no excuse for using Amazon ads at all.

Give searchers what they expect rather than peppering them with unwanted ads and all will be well.

Hi Will,

I've even had hubs titled Venus in Capricorn or whatever sign, found a book like "Understanding Venus in Capricorn People" and nobody really buys them. I don't think it's worth it to put back any capsules I took off. And they only seem to allow one capsule anyway. I'll leave the ones still there, but all you can use for most of my topics are books, and I never made a payout even when all my hubs had capsules. Thanks for the advice though.

Jean, What Will Apse explained in his comment is extremely important to understand. I think you were missing his point.

He mentioned that title because I believe he was referring to the hub I mentioned that I looked at. You are not writing about the book. You are writing about Astrology. That's why you don't get sales from those Amazon capsules.

The only way Amazon ads work is when they relate 100% to the subject of the title of your hub. And that is why HubPages snips those capsules that don't meet up to that standard before moving to niche sites.

The book is on Venus signs though, Venus in Capricorn is the explanation of a Venus in Capricorn person. It's even hard to find obscure books about other planets in the signs, unless it's the Sun Sign.

I understand I need to explain how I use it, but I never used that book. I use all my reference ones and many are out of print.. I appreciate Glenn and Will trying to help, but it's too involved to find books I've used and can recommend, people don't like to read reference books. They think they can go to a bogus site with incorrect info and know more than I do after 40 years of study. Many people think Astrology is something you can learn in an hour. I'm still learning. I'll take the capsule off, because they are moving some of my Sun signs to exemplore.

Thanks though, you are both very nice to try to help me. I'm actually surprised they moved so many of my hubs now, they moved about 30. They aren't all about Astrology, I write about other things.

Take care and good luck with your hubs.

Jean

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I respectfully disagree.  I have several articles that are not about products but have ads on them that relate to issues discussed in the article for which those products can be helpful.  They have brought in money regularly, and this month, more than ever before.

It all depends what you write about and, of course, the relevance of the ads.  I realize that my situation is a bit unusual since I write in a specialized area, but without those ads, my income would be much less than it is.

I've had some moved, and they leave one book about the topic I wrote about. That's OK with me, I never made money with Amazon anyway. Good Luck!

15. spartucusjones profile image91
    spartucusjonesposted 7 years ago

Most of my Hubs that were moved to niche sites were moved in May and May was my best month ever. Now June is my best month ever, so I seem to be continuing with the momentum.

That being said, in the month of June one of my Hubs experienced an unexpected spike because of real life events. I have a Hub on the 27 Club and on June 19th, actor Anton Yelchin tragically died at that age. For about three days, that Hub was getting 2000-3000 views a day. It has since dropped down, but it is still getting more traffic that what it was before. Of course it is weird to experience an increase due to tragedy, because it is hard to be happy about it. But we will see what will happen to traffic in the coming months.

16. alikhan3 profile image94
    alikhan3posted 7 years ago

turbofuture and toughnickel are doing well so far. Owlcations didn't pick that much momentum.

17. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

I honestly don't think the editors have the data to tackle the Amazon ad issue. If they are keeping ads that never produce sales, as Jean suggests, and dumping ads that are consistently used (the case with a number of my pages) something is seriously wrong.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)