jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

Strongly Dislike Front Page of Hubpages

1. prairieprincess profile image96
    prairieprincessposted 5 weeks ago

I am really not liking the front page of Hubpages these days. When I first click in to HP, I see a list of the five top questions and articles. It usually something about politics or beliefs. First of all, is that what the public sees when arriving to HP?

Right now it is, "Trump Supporters: Are you going to stay on a Sinking Ship?" "Can you believe certain churches support abortion?" "Do you believe in creation or evolution," another one about Trump, and "Should I be mad my mistress is sleeping with my friend?"

Now, I don't think that these questions/articles represent the heart of what HP is about, especially since most belief-based and political discussions are not usually actual discussions but end up in being name-calling and insults.

They used to have an article of the day, along with the last 10 or so articles. These were articles that represented what was supposed to be quality writing on a variety of topics.

Now, many of the questions, when clicked, will lead to very heated discussion and often insults from one side to the other.  It reminds me more of a REDDIT forum than a writing site that has many high quality articles. The HP front page is in stark contrast to the niche sites, which do feature high quality articles of interest.

HP, I am wondering if you can address the current front page of HP? I love the niche sites but sometimes it seems like the main site is suffering neglect. We used to have more interactive things to get quality articles out and more promotion of said articles (remember hubnuggets?)

Thank you in advance,

Sharilee

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

Staff is working behind the scenes to decide the best solution to this currently. We agree; Hubbers should not have to see this kind of content unless you seek it out. It is just a matter of deciding how to implement the changes we want.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image89
        Jayne Lancerposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

I obviously can't speak for everybody, but, as I've said before, I'd be quite happy to see only hubs on that page, just as our users do who are not signed in. Surely this would be an easy to implement solution until you come up with something better.

Some of the Q&A and forum thread titles alone make me feel sick.

2. UnnamedHarald profile image95
        UnnamedHaraldposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

Glad to hear HubPages is aware of and working on this. I agree completely with the original poster. Instead of trolling political and religious "questions", I'd like to see only Hub articles featured on the front page-- no questions or forum entries. HubPages is about quality writing, not yet-another ranting platform.

2. Ken Burgess profile image79
      Ken Burgessposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

It will die down in two weeks, for three years or so anyways.

1. psycheskinner profile image80
        psycheskinnerposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

More likely it will revert to the same venom on different topics.

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 5 weeks ago

This has come up before, and I agree.  It looks a little better if you are signed out.

1. prairieprincess profile image96
      prairieprincessposted 5 weeks ago in reply to this

Psycheskinner, that's what I was curious about. What does it look like if you are signed up? I guess I could sign out and try for myself.  : )

3. prairieprincess profile image96
    prairieprincessposted 5 weeks ago

And it's nothing against the people that posted the questions --- I have what are probably unpopular opinions on those topics. It's just that these are questions which are not related to the main purpose of Hubpages, which is to promote quality writing.

Is there any chance they might re-implement a "Hub of the Day" or some kind of interactive thing like that? And yes, I am glad to hear that HP is aware of it. I am not against those topics, but on HP, they just become so divisive.

working