Why some hubbers have multiple accounts on HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (77 posts)
  1. anujagarwal profile image57
    anujagarwalposted 14 years ago

It seems some of the persons here have multiple accounts with different names. What is the motto behind this?

1. AEvans profile image73
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because they can.smile

1. profile image48
        badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

So summed up in 3 words, what a woman !

1. AEvans profile image73
          AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought you would like that!!big_smile

1. profile image48

AE in the words of Carly Simon " Nobody Does It Better "

Hope you are well my friend, you were in my thoughts yesterday.

2. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

Different profiles assist people with multiple niches.

anujagarwalposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good reason if this is the case. Or does it also help in clicking the ads from other profile.

1. webismine profile image59
        webismineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Clicking on one's own ads is not advisable, google can trace them with IP address.

Means if a single IP is shared among multiple users like in case of big organizations, and someone logged-in on HP. Clicks from other users will be treated as invalid clicks even though they are valid.

2. profile image48

Duhhh that would be really smart wouldn't it, different niches or topics I would think. Like what fool clicks their own adsense ads with the same ip address, you been online long ?

Is it one valid click per IP? OR No Valid Clicks if once logged-in by that IP.

1. frogdropping profile image77
            frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't be so interested in clicking those little suckers. The only thing thats gonna get you is banned. Seriously. There's no way around false clicking.

1. Silver Rose profile image65
              Silver Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I second this. Adsense will have logged your IP address when you set up your account, and they probably log it everytime you sign in.

Now there are 6 billion people on the planet - what are the odds that someone with the same IP address as yours ends up clicking your ads? Infinitesmal. Therefore if they see this pattern, they will immediately assume click fraud.

The only decent clicks to get are those that come from complete strangers via the search engines, preferably from a city, state or continent miles away from yours!

1. sixtyorso profile image71
                sixtyorsoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

International Ip adresses are totally unique, there are no duplicates. This is why the Ip addressing standard changed recently in order to accomodate additional Ip numbers!

2. profile image48

Ok I am typing this from work ok, I also type from home and have posted a hub from a friends house. Google Adsense will know all 3 ips link back to that person, and if you even attempt to click you risk the chance of losing your account.

Trust me my friend Google are no fools, as to your question I myself have an alter-ego but only for the purpose of a different niche. Hope that helps !

If you are posting from office, and any colleague from your office clicks on any ad. So it does not mean you are trying to fool Google. But if your account gets blocked, and you never clicked on any ad, who is at fault dear.

1. profile image48

Only call me Dear at the weekends ok, or perhaps meet me some day and call me Dear to my face and see what happens, yeah ?

1. profile image0
                  wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

LMAO!  lol

2. rastrother profile image40
                  rastrotherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

man you should know not to mess with bc, havent you ever heard of the multiple personality thing? tongue

3. profile image50
                  CabinGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lol I think he thinks your cute Captain, remember that guy in Soho who called you Dear, what a pain in the ass he was smile

4. anujagarwal profile image57

just few hours and weekend is there to knock smile

2. dingdong profile image58
                dingdongposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not just the clicks, I hope google has more things to study before accusing someone for invalid clicks(or click fraud).

I hope so, otherwise there will loads of blocked accounts on a daily basis.

1. profile image50

Omg that sounds awful, all those accounts closing daily, it's shocking to think of !

3. guidebaba profile image58
        guidebabaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can try this even with 1000s of different IDs. Your account will get banned within 15 days. I Bet. Google has different formulas to check fraud clicks. If making money with adsense was that easy, I would have become a millionaire by now.

4. Jeniferr profile image71
        Jeniferrposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Anujagarwal,

Why would you need a second or third HubPages account to click the ads on your other hubs?  Ads are shown regardless if the person is a member of HubPages or not. 

If a person wanted to try and cheat the system, they wouldn't need to log into another account to do so.  I think you're making a big deal out of nothing.

Jeniferr, I do not want to click on my ads, I was just curious to know why some persons use multiple accounts. And from the discussion so far, it is understood that multiple accounts being used to cover different niches...

1. Jeniferr profile image71
            Jeniferrposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Anugagarwal,

It was a hypothetical question, used to dispel the notion that people create secondary accounts for such activity.

2. profile image48

Smart thinking Batman smile

1. profile image0

Why, thank you, Robin.

1. profile image48

Nice tights smile

1. profile image0

You should see me without the tights, mate.  big_smile

1. profile image48

Cheers, that's me distracted in work for the rest of the day smile

2. The Craziest Hub profile image62
            The Craziest Hubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Blonde let me borrow them! smile

3. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Because they can. Like me. I have ohhhhh at least 9. Or is it 12. Can't remember. How many do I have BC? I'm losing the ability to keep up with me neutral

1. Candie V profile image62
      Candie Vposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Kevin is keeping track so you don't have to worry!!

1. frogdropping profile image77
        frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The only thing he keeps track of is his gold ...

2. profile image48

I dunno I give birth daily smile

1. The Craziest Hub profile image62
        The Craziest Hubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So I hear...kinda sexy, doncha think? wink

3. profile image0
      DarwinsLaureateposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I now have three, despite rumors otherwise.

Mostly it's because I fancy myself some deranged artist and each account helps me secure a clear tone with the audience.

And add more life to characters.

1. profile image50

Damn I only have 2, I might introduce my twin sister who is getting released next week and needs a few extra dollars smile

4. anime_nanet profile image60
    anime_nanetposted 14 years ago

Different niches.

I wouldn't write about anything but anime related with this profile, for instance.

5. profile image50
    CabinGirlposted 14 years ago

Oh Dear, that BC he's such a Dear Sweet Captain but that's ok coming from me. Guys calling him Dear kinda makes him keep his ass hidden unlike me smile

6. Cris A profile image59
    Cris Aposted 14 years ago

My alter ego makes the money hubs while I write the pretentiously artsy fartsy sort! LOL cool

1. profile image50

My Hero, even though I hate pretentious people whose true personalties show even through an alter ego smile

2. profile image48

What a Guy !

1. Cris A profile image59
        Cris Aposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why thank you, capt'n! cool

7. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Cris can't fault you. I'm going to make a second account and write about topics that's gonna allow me to give up my day job, mop up some greenbacks, drink twice as much coffee, smoke twice as many Malboro and keep me in gorgeous flip flops. Maybe ... or maybe I'll just end up with a load of roll ups and instant coffee smile

frogmopping

I must say it's going to be the wisest decision you will be making as far as your hopping life on HP is concerned. But make sure to let me in on the secret identity so I could leave a snarky comment or two! cool

8. sixtyorso profile image71
    sixtyorsoposted 14 years ago

This post ranks alongside the "who are freemasons here" post
    Basically don't mess with clicks.

9. frankiectlus profile image60
    frankiectlusposted 14 years ago

So what happens if my wife wanted to start a hubpage as well.  Even though it is someone else, it could cause us problems?

1. profile image48

How ???

1. frankiectlus profile image60
        frankiectlusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That was my question....If we both have one do we run into issues with Google?

2. sixtyorso profile image71
        sixtyorsoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If they both used the same computer, the ip address would the same and google will get ya! for clicking on ads in each others hubs. So dont try!

10. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I want to create another hub account so I can make a pest of myself on the forums...

1. profile image48

Oh so not fair, I am not that bad, go on smile smile

11. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

That wasn't aimed at anyone in particular...really big_smile

1. profile image50

Fibber smile

2. profile image48

Ignore that wench, we love ya x

12. Ivorwen profile image64
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Professional -vs- Fun

13. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Click fraud is bad mmkay.

anujagarwal, don't tell your fellow office workers about your hubs and sites. That way, you'll never have to worry about being banned because someone clicks on your ads from the same IP address.

Too easy yeah?

1. profile image50

You really think intellect like that works in an office, more likely a damn call centre !

2. anujagarwal profile image57

Well I think this is better, not to tell colleagues about new hubs to avoid fraud clicks and banning of account.

14. k@ri profile image85
    k@riposted 14 years ago

badcompany and cabingirl, I 'm so happy to find you both here!  Seems you have a wonderful party going!  Nothing less than I would expect from you two!

15. flread45 profile image59
    flread45posted 14 years ago

Duh if google couldn't track you I would be in the Bahamas,eating caviar at the beach.CLICK,CLICK,MAKE ME RICH!!

16. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Ok I want one too
    Help me with a new nickname guys smile maybe
    Secret Squirrel>>http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:piBREpnkjOvjPM::3.bp.blogspot.com/_DXqwAeak1GA/R45XxbMtb_I/AAAAAAAAAn4/0rwAiikIJK4/s320/Secret_Squirrel.gif

Hmmm Agent Squirrel? Or Agent Super Squirrel (A.S.S. for short! LOL) cool

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol i luv it

Cool! I will look forward to seeing "her" around cool

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
            Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

awww I will get teased and called an ASS  sad

2. profile image0
        DarwinsLaureateposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We must find not just squirrel, but also moose.

17. profile image0
    DarwinsLaureateposted 14 years ago

Your IP address changes at least once every 24 hours in general cases, more often if you're moving from one wifi spot to the next.

The only real "unique" ID to a computer is it's MAC address, a serial stamped and embedded on every device that connects to a network.

1. Silver Rose profile image65
      Silver Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not everyone is on wifi though. People with dial-up access with have a static IP address, and people on broadband will have a small range. Most orgs will have a small range.

The planet is massive, with billions online. The idea that coincidently someone is clicking on your ads and has the same IP address as you is, well, fantastic.

Plus your IP address will show which city you are logged in from. Even if you are geo-targetting your hubs, the odds that all your clicks would naturally only come from a small city are infinitesmal. Say you are geo-targetting the UK - what are the odds that all the clicks to your hub will come from say Norwich city, while the people in larger cities ignore your site? It wouldn't happen naturally, that's for sure.

Don't click your own ads. It's too risky. All those thinking they are smart enough to deceive Google are deluding themselves.

18. HealthCare Basics profile image58
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

I have a hard enough time keeping track of one profile with hubs.... I do like the idea of having different accounts to explore various avenues in writing.

19. profile image0
    DarwinsLaureateposted 14 years ago

Dialup is not static, you generally get a new one everytime you dial up.

Nearly every ISP refreshes your address every 24/48 hours.

If you've a home network, the only device in your house that has an IP address actively on the internet is your router.

The router than gives everything connected to it an IP address (this is called subnetting) and acts as a go-between from the internet to you and vice versa.

My point is that while yes, it may be possible for Google to investiage click fraud, there's also a lot of valid reasons why a number of people would visit the same website from the same IP.

[Edit for clarification]

Keep in mind static IPs are rare and generally only owned by ISPs and the likes. Your ISP can issue you a static IP from their end, for sure. But its not an "offical" static IP as registered with ICANN and what not. Again, its just subnetting.

The only permanent address all network cards have is their MAC address. Cellphones also have ESNs, other devices similar things.

Each packet of information you send and receive has your MAC address and this is used by routers to know where to send your requests for stuff on the internet back to you.

There, now my networking certification wasn't entirely a waste. wink

1. Eric Graudins profile image59
      Eric Graudinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you are on a broadband connection, you could have the same IP address for days, weeks, months. Depends on how often you reboot the router.

And getting back on topic:
      The elephant in the room which nobody is talking about is that some hubbers have multiple accounts to confuse and harass people, and generally try to cause mayhem on the forums.

20. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

There are certainly little troublemakers running around using multiple personalities, but, there are also those who use other accounts as a way to get out other forms of writing or for things they don't feel they can express under an account everyone "knows"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)