What does 'home' mean to you?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (41 posts)
  1. leni sands profile image68
    leni sandsposted 13 years ago

To me 'home' is where I can be me, it is a happy, safe and warm place but it hasn't always been like that...so what does 'home' mean to you?

leni sandsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Any idea how I can correct the title?  What does 'home' mean to you?  That'll teach me to preview first!

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
        Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Fixed for ya.  wink

To me, home can be many places... wherever I feel surrounded by love.

Thank you for fixing the title, Maddie.  Haven't discovered the smilies yet.

2. lady_love158 profile image61
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love to come home kick off my shoes sit back put up my tired feet and exhale, petting the cat and just looking at my plants and listening to the quiet, gives me a warm feeling inside.

3. ethel smith profile image82
      ethel smithposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My santuary from the world

1. ethel smith profile image82
        ethel smithposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bum. Meant to write SANCTUARY of course

4. Winsome profile image82
      Winsomeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like what a little kid wrote for his class: "Home is where your house is."
      I feel most at home when I am around my family at times like Thanksgiving but increasingly I am at home when I am able to help a friend or relative or even someone I don't really know. We are on the Earth for such a short while and if we can use our gifts to make it a better place, we are creating a home we all will want to live in.

5. profile image0
      cosetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

my sanctuary. plus there's bunnies. well, one...

2. camlo profile image85
    camloposted 13 years ago

Home to me is my own place, where I'm free to do whatever I like when I like.

So true!

3. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

Where I sleep, where my PC is, where my mail goes and where I can leave and go back to!

1. camlo profile image85
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's true for me too.

4. srwnson profile image61
    srwnsonposted 13 years ago

Home for me is on the road. My two bed Kenworth Condo.

Sounds great.

5. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 13 years ago

A place where everything is familiar, and everything I need is there.  It's safe and warm (or cool when necessary...) and welcoming.  A place away from the sometimes bothersome activities of the world at large.  A place where I can mostly do what I want, while considering how my actions may be perceived by the neighbours. smile

Sounds perfect - x4-neighbours.

6. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Home is a state of being, a state where you can be yourself no matter what or who is watching.  Home is deep inside you and frees you whenever you have the need. hmm

I like this philosophical approach.

7. Joe Badtoe profile image61
    Joe Badtoeposted 13 years ago

Home

is a bed of nails on a floor of hot coals on the edge of a cliff.

On a thin piece of wood floating perilously in the North Atlantic being thrown into the air by giant waves that hurls sub 40 water across my pathetic frame.

Home steppng into an elevator 40 floors up when the elevator isn't there.

In an eagle's eyrie until the eagle finds out.

Inside the belly of a beluga whale.

I need to lie down..........

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am Home Girl.
      I had to sell my home. I miss it. One day I will have it back. I am sure of that. Everybody should have that place: nice, secure, happy, relaxing place, place for your rest, your work, your dreams, your friends to come to, your life to live in - HOME.

1. camlo profile image85
        camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wish you luck on getting back your home.

I've always rented, but have always been able to make any place my home.

1. sofs profile image77
          sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Home is where I am happy , contented , husband, children, laughter, fun, my dog , peace. Its a beautiful place. It is mine.

I agree...

8. joaniemb profile image60
    joaniembposted 13 years ago

Home is where I can be myself. Home is my most favorite place of all. At the end of the day I can not wait to get home relax, spend quality time with the ones I love.

9. sugz profile image67
    sugzposted 13 years ago

home is where i am most comfortable and relaxed.. and since i am never 'at home' i'm always traveling in my mates Volvo to another town and since i'm so comfortable being in the truck, that is like home to me, but the rest of the time.. home is the entire world, because i travel constantly to someone eles's house while i'm online, stop for a coffee and a chat then off somewhere else.. often just making someone smile and enjoy the rest of their day.. this is home to me.
    the place i sleep and reside.. is just a house, it holds no expectations of my life other than an occasional bed and somewhere to access food and my computer which travels where ever i go..

home for me is everywhere

10. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

It is like a comfortable pair of slippers smile

1. lady_love158 profile image61

Or a good foot rub! smile

1. profile image0
        shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

arh,,,, that is 'receiving love', does that mean you associate home with love?

1. lady_love158 profile image61

Yes of course! There's no place like home!

1. profile image0

Perhaps loving yourself first is the fundamental, so where ever you go there is always home - if you love you.  What I mean is... it isnt about what you receive but what you give and what you are.  Does that make sense?

1. Misha profile image63
              Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sure it does. smile

1. profile image0

*whack-whip*  why?  Because you enjoy it!

2. lady_love158 profile image61

I know what you mean, so yes if you love yourself you are better able to love another and wherever you are together with your lover you'll feel secure and safe like when you're home. But still home is a place, and environment that reflects who you are, where you are surrounded by the things you love, it has the familiarity of a long time lover and when you walk in the door it's like a warm embrace surrounding you giving you that sense of security that you feel in your lovers arms. Ahhhh just thinking about it makes me feel warm all over!

11. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

I can answer that with a song from Youtoob....

Music by Paul Young......... this one with a bit of interpretive mime big_smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb8CH0rTcY4

12. pisean282311 profile image61
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

for me home means a place where my loved ones are..a place where i can relax ..

13. profile image50
    joanna25posted 13 years ago

a home for me is where you can express everything about you...
    a home is where you can love and be loved in return...
    a home is a place where you can share all your blessings without expectations in return...
    a " HOME ", is a place where your heart really belongs...

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have a pretty decent rental place but I do not feel at home there. It is not mine.

14. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

Home to me is a concept, a feeling, and something far more than a physical structure that provides shelter.  Home is where the people I love are.

15. TamCor profile image81
    TamCorposted 13 years ago

Home for me is wherever my husband is...whether it is a nine room house, or a four room apartment...

It doesn't matter, as long as I'm with him. smile

16. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 13 years ago

Home is "Where the heart is", has been said forty six million times and it's still true.......Where ever your heart travels ,Though , too is home.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)