jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (15 posts)

Spam as a comment?

1. arizonataylor profile image82
    arizonataylorposted 5 years ago

I had a first yesterday.  Somebody left spam as a comment.  They were trying to sell clothing.  Is this common?  I denied the comment, so it wasn't a big deal.  It was pretty annoying though.

1. kschang profile image90
      kschangposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Some are a bit more sophisticated. I review Android apps and they spam a link to some cellular warehouse.

What I usually do is I deny the spam, then add a comment telling them it's denied because it's spam. Doubt they'll read it, but... heh  smile 

If the comment's actually useful then I may repost it but without the spam link.

2. iamalegend profile image74
      iamalegendposted 5 years ago in reply to this

i'm getting spam comments to.

3. dusy7969 profile image61
      dusy7969posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I haven't gotten what I would consider a spam comment yet. With that said, most of the comments I read are along the lines of thanks, good looking hub, which could easily be considered spam.

2. Rik Ravado profile image91
    Rik Ravadoposted 5 years ago

Yes I reckon about 20% 0f my comments are spam.  People often make vague comments like 'nice article' then leave a link to their own website.

As you say just disallow!

3. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

Yep - happens all the time.  The links embedded in a signature I will generally accept, but others get denied.

4. kephrira profile image60
    kephriraposted 5 years ago

I normally delete pretty much all comments that have links. What annoys me are the borderline ones where they have written a couple of sentences rather than just a couple of words, but it is still obviously just to promote their link and I can't instantly decide whether to delete it or not.

5. KristenGrace profile image60
    KristenGraceposted 5 years ago

Yup. I get spam too.  Annoying.  Delete.

6. arizonataylor profile image82
    arizonataylorposted 5 years ago

Mine was particularly odd.  First, it seemed to be in Italian.  Second, it didn't have a single link, but did contain clothing item names.  This was entirely off topic.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

And that one I would delete, no question.  Nor would it be the first time.

7. camlo profile image83
    camloposted 5 years ago

I've only had a couple. They've been really nice comments, except for the link. So, I've copied it, deleted the original, pasted, then cut out the link.

8. andyoz profile image83
    andyozposted 5 years ago

I have never had a comment with a link, think all the comments I have had so far have been approved, sure I will get some sooner or later.

9. Richieb799 profile image66
    Richieb799posted 5 years ago

I don't usually except comments with links, maybe comments with links embedded in the username but not usually.

10. ImChemist profile image60
    ImChemistposted 5 years ago

Yes , we have to save this site clear from spammers

11. Don Ship profile image82
    Don Shipposted 5 years ago

Lol. Just deny them. It's fun! tongue