Who are the most helpful people on hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (31 posts)
  1. shibashake profile image83
    shibashakeposted 15 years ago

These are the people who are very supportive of other people's work or who have great ideas and are always willing to share them to make hubpages into a better community.  These are the people hubpages should give some extra money to because they make a real difference in the community. smile

I thought it would be great fun to write a hub on this so please post your opinions. Tell us who you think these people are, and why they are the most helpful on hubpages!

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92
      Rochelle Frankposted 15 years agoin reply to this

This  hub you are going to write is going to be a  a very long one. I wouldn't know where to start.

I was personally introduced (well, virtually I guess-- since I have never met her in person) by hubber and horse-expert DonnaCSmith.  (Search her name) Though she was new, herself, she answered a lot of my questions. She is a very good writer and has published  numerous magazine articles and about six books, both fiction and nonfiction.

All of the posters on the forums give great information -- I can't even use all of it. This is a very generous group when it comes to sharing hints.

2. premsingh profile image59
    premsinghposted 15 years ago

If you are planning to write a hub on hubbers who support other hubbers , you should do a research work and find out from the thread running on the forum. I guess there are more than 100 hubbers who actively participates in the Forums and help new hubbers. There may be several reasons why they help others;
    1. They may be good human beings
    2. Its in their nature to help others
    3. They may have leadership qualities
    4. They may be authority in the fields in which they actively participate
    5. They are participating in Forums to improve their hubber scores
    6. In this way, more people join their fan clubs
    7. Their participation in Forums ensures more pageviews (atleast from hubpages)
    8. By nature, they can't remain silent on some issues they think truth is being suppressed.
    There may be several other reasons but if I list all the reasons here what will you write in your hub?
    Anyway, I hope you find answers to some of your questions.

I am listing few hubbers here whom I have seen participating actively in the forums and who really deserve appreciation:Inspirepub, Misa, Mark Knowles, Embetica, Sunseven, Wedding Consultant, Shailini, ProCw, Weblog, Paraglider, Lopez, Guidebaba, Isabella, Whitney05, Dorsi, Lissi, Darkside, Maddie, Shirley Anderson, dafla, spuds, Copusmart, Marisha, etc. There is a long list....

1. weblog profile image57
      weblogposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well said, there must be more reasons and also the list is long smile

2. shibashake profile image83
      shibashakeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Premsingh & Compu-smart, Thanks for your well thought out responses.

My first thought for a hub like this, was to identify the key-elements that help strengthen a community, and then choose someone that exemplifies that key-element. For example I think that the Hubpages community is greatly strengthened by:
      1. Sharing of novel and creative ideas for the betterment of the community.
      Darkside I think exemplifies this element really well. He has some great articles on how to use existing hubpages tools effectively to create good, well laid out hubs. He also pushes the envelop of these tools. For example he has a very novel hub on how to do bookmarking (table of contents) with existing tools. And very recently he showed me how I can get good photos from Amazon while linking back to Amazon so that it is all legitimate. He is free with his ideas and helps everyone create better hubs for the goodness of the whole community.

2. Expression of those ideas in a thoughtful and positive way.
      Marisa Wright I think exemplifies this element really well. She has a lot of knowledge about the hubpages system and is always very helpful in the forums. She also takes the time to always phrase her replies in a very positive way. This makes the forum a friendly place to go to, and encourages people to participate more and ask more questions. Her positive attitude and friendly manner really makes it feel like there are no stupid questions.

3. Seeking out new members and offering them support and a helping hand.
      Rochelle Frank I think exemplifies this element really well. She takes the time to check out hubs by new members, and leaves helpful and supportive comments. When I asked her to help me with some of my other hubs, she was quick to help out and offered good advice and suggestions. She helps new members ease into the community, and encourages them to stick with it even when things may be tough initially.

This is still a work in progress, so let me know what you think. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment smile

3. guidebaba profile image57
      guidebabaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi Prem: I must appreciate your ideology. All the points mentioned above by you are 100% correct. I recently read a Hub on Numerology. It explains how to reach a single digit number from your Date of Birth and this single digit number has some great significance. For e.g My Date of Birth is July 15, 1977 = 07+15+1977 = 0+7+1+5+1+9+7+7 = 37 = 3+7=10 = 1+0=1. 1 Denote a Leader. So I am a leader. I am also the Branch Manager for my Company and handle the Business is Eastern India.

Even though I am an Atheist and don't believe in God or Astrology / Numerology etc, I found that Hub very Interesting.

cool

3. compu-smart profile image88
    compu-smartposted 15 years ago

Hi shishbake,
    Its a very thoughtfull idea, but paying hubbers who help the most just wont work! and I and I know  all other hubbers who help others do it and want to do it purely for the Hublove!
    I also see very new hubbers give very good advice and help here, and because there are lots of hubbers that regularly come in the forums, most questions are usually dealt with very quickly, so i know there are an unlimited amount of hubbers who will give free help! infact, i wish i had more time to help!

Hi Premsingh,
    I do for the first 4 reasons alone aswell as knowing how frustrating things can be with problems, and like most things which are very hard to do are very easy when you know how and if i know how i want to share! Things and everything in life can be soo easy with a little help!
    As you say, there is a ling list! and  I never saw your name there!smile

smile

4. premsingh profile image59
    premsinghposted 15 years ago

Shibahake, I agree with you but you are making ambit very narrow. If you choose only 2-3 hubbers, it will feel like you are writing on a featured hubber. I have few suggestions for the content of your hub in progress:
    1. Broaden the scope of your hub by selecting at least 50 hubbers and write a paragraph of 4-5 sentences
    2. Quote statements (from forum threads) from these hubbers to support your opinion about them
    3. Enlist hubs (2-5 hubs) written by these hubbers to help fellow hubbers.
    And many more ideas.....................
    best of luck

Prem

5. Veronica Bright profile image59
    Veronica Brightposted 15 years ago

Nice hub.   I write for several sites, and the sad fact is, in my experience, hubbers are the most critical, clique group out there.  I don't mean to say ALL hubbers are.  I wouldn't be here if that were true, but the forums can be viscious, and it is pretty clique. 
    I am glad to see some of you have had such good experiences with other huibbers.  I'm here, and I know there are some nice hubbers, but I don't come into the forums much anymore!
    Thanks!
    V

1. Inspirepub profile image70
      Inspirepubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It's interesting how different people have different perceptions.

I have found the HubPages forums very intelligent and respectful in comparison with other online forums. Personal attacks are simply not tolerated here, and discussion remains focused on the topic at hand. If someone starts to get personal, several others will intervene and point it out.

I have seen a few people arrive, being perhaps a bit accusing or abrasive, and be pulled up by other Hubbers, after which they settle in, learn the ropes, and become pleasant to everyone.

The only thing I have seen met with zero tolerance from Hubbers is spamming the forums.

2. shibashake profile image83

Rochelle & premsingh
      Thanks for all your input. I think you are both right and I will have to narrow the scope of the hub. I am thinking of just focussing more on the elements of a strong community, and using example forum posts and hubs to illustrate those elements, as suggested by premsingh.

I definitely know where you are coming from Veronica. I too have been there several times smile  I actually think that the phenomenon that you mentioned is also an interesting one to consider with respect to communities. All communities (even those in real-life) have what I would call an "elite" or several "elite" groups. Depending on the community, some of these groups may be active in trying to build-up the community, while others are all about keeping their group exclusive. Another interesting hub topic I think.

It takes time, knowledge, and a special type of personality to help build and strengthen a community. That is why I think the hubbers who truly make an effort to help others are so valuable. Yahoo! answers has some interesting ways for recognizing their key contributors. Perhaps we should have something in hubpages as well.
      Thanks for your thoughtful comments Veronica.

3. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Veronica, I write for multiple sites too, and I would tend to agree with you.  Suffice to say the first year of HubPages when there wasn't a forum at all was an interesting one.

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

My experience is quite contrary to that, and very close to Jenny's. But I wasn't here at the time when there was no forum, though smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
          Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sounds cliquey to me. big_smile

1. Misha profile image63
            Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well, it probably is then wink If two or more people agree on something and air their opinion, it is definitely cliquey - if this opinion does not fit observer's one big_smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
              Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

lol

I have found less Axxholes here than other places - does that make me a click?

Any community will naturally form cliques; there is nothing wrong with them. Cliques only become dangerous when they bully out opposing viewpoints and take over a community space because it is now uncomfortable or too stressful for others to speak out.

It is an interesting social phenomenon that exists in many communities.

1. darkside profile image63
                  darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I like the way you think!

2. profile image0
                daflaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I want to hear the clicking!  Click for me, Mark!

4. profile image0
      daflaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Wow. I'm speechless.  Clique(ish)?  NOT! Of course, some of us who have been here almost since the inception of HubPages know each other much better, and I guess we do sort of  form a "group".  I think we all work very hard NOT to be clique(ish), at least the ones I know do.  Of course, there are always people who will put themselves apart and above others, and you learn who they are and stay away from them.

Critical, no, but truthful...definitely.  We enjoy helping, but we're not gonna coddle you if your writing stinks, or you're trying to skirt the rules.  This is our community, and just like any community, the residents stick together when need be.  Yes, we have our "take no prisoners" types, who just type what comes out of their heads without censoring, and I'm afraid I can be one of those sometimes, but if you're overly sensitive to criticism, you'll find demons wherever you look.

Well, guess I wasn't speechless after all.  My "mama bear" instincts kicked in...defending my cubs, and all that. :-)

5. terenceyap07 profile image60
      terenceyap07posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Dear Veronica,

They are a lot of nice people here on Hubpages. Yes, there are a few that might ignore your attempts to be friendly or, whom might even appear to be aloof or unfriendly. I wouldn't worry about these people because I don't believe that they mean you any harm. I believe that these people just need more time to warm up to you.

*smiles*

I hope that you will return to the forums soon, my friend.

6. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

Shiba, thanks for your kind words about me.  Funnily enough, I also had a similar experience to Veronica and yourself when I first joined HubPages - but it was for exactly the reasons Jenny gives.   I jumped in with both feet without taking time to learn the ropes, and unwittingly upset people.  I was shocked by how vicious things got - but as you can see, I've now settled in!

Veronica, please do come back and join the forums - we don't all bite, honest!

I nominate Darkside.  His Hubs on Hubbing should be essential reading for all newbies.  And although Mark Knowles and Misha can be scathing when they want to be, they are also a mine of useful information.  Embitca and Relache can be quiet but when they pop in with some information, it's worth listening to.  And Jenny is a wonderful calming influence as well as being knowledgeable!

7. Veronica Bright profile image59
    Veronica Brightposted 15 years ago

Thank you all.....and Mark I know....MEOW baby.  lol. I think he's funny, he may try to be mean, but I think he's funny.
    I think anyone "Can" be helpful, when they decide that is what they want to be.  Like I said, there are some good people here, IMHO
    V

8. profile image0
    RFoxposted 15 years ago

I've only had good experiences on the forums.
    Intelligent and interesting discourse.
    I've seen some arguments but usually someone redirects them in a more appropriate direction. Lol.

wink

9. Dorsi profile image86
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

I have been on a few other writing sites, and for me, HubPages has been the best as far as members being helpful, witty and engaging. If I have stepped out of line I was always brought back kindly, and mostly it was my own lack of knowledge, which I gladly take any critique here to thought, because I value the other hubbers opinions and knowledge. I nominate all participating hubbers here, because to me we are so much a great community that it would be hard to give "prizes" to just a few, as there have been too many kind and helpful hubbers here for me to just pick some of them.
    Just my 2 cents... or 10...lol....

10. shibashake profile image83
    shibashakeposted 15 years ago

Hi Dorsi. Thanks for your 10 cents - that's more than my AdSense earnings! smile I think you and others are right, I must narrow down the scope of the hub. I am planning to just focus on the things that make a community strong and maybe illustrate that with some real-life examples in the form of hubs and forum posts.

11. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 15 years ago

shibashake, I like the initial thought you posed when opening this thread and how your initial thought is evolving based on what's been contributed here.  A thread like this one really shows off the creativity, intelligence, and spirit of cooperation that abound at HubPages.

I'd like to add to your evolving thought that much help also comes through readers' comments to Hubs, so you may want to include that source along with Hubs themselves and the Forums.

Good luck in your project!

Oh yes - comments are definitely on the list. If you have some hubs/comments that you think I should look at, please point me to them. Thanks Sally!

12. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 15 years ago

I am a clique unto myself.

lol - you *and* your cat-chucks!

13. compu-smart profile image88
    compu-smartposted 15 years ago

I have noticed that the people who also do a lot of helping via email to notify fellow hubbers (me:) that  their hubs have the wrong information, or lots of errors like spelling etc?
    These people never help in the forum and  I am extreamly thankful for this and its nice to know that there are people who take the time out to  not just read hubs, but take more time to email and notify of error!! These are the unsung heros and we ought to all try and spend a little more time offering advice and error reports to those that need it! IE, watching each others backs!
    smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)