What are your thoughts when it comes to Muslim women?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (26 posts)
  1. KNOWLEDGESEEKER79 profile image61
    KNOWLEDGESEEKER79posted 13 years ago

What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you encounter a Muslim woman on the streets? If she is covered do you see her as being oppressed or forced to cover? Do you think that it is her choice and that is why she covers? I am curious as to how you would respond to this question and please be truthful I promise i wont take offense to your replies...Thanx and God bless!

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hope you won't take offense as I mean none. 

Yes, the woman is oppressed.  Force may no longer be required to maintain her subservient lower class role but she is oppressed.

If worn willingly, it seems that she has been indoctrinated to the point that her value, in her own mind, is minimal.  She is not the equal of the XY crowd and must forever bend to their wishes.  She will never develop to her full human capabilities as her religion forbids it.

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I look at her as a woman. If she is a citizen of America, then she has the freedom to do as she so chooses. She chooses her path in life. If she feels the need to worship things taught by religion or any of it's books, then she should have a need for being an individual. The manner in which religion controls the individual and their mind, then is called oppression. Each woman does themselves a disservice, following any religion written.
      I think she doesn't truly understand her life and I feel bad for her.
      Yes, it is her choice. Her problem is in not seeing more choices.
      Whether or not I offend has nothing to do with what I say. It's based on your perception, based on what I say. If you get offended, then you only have you to blame for being offended.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think how a person dresses is their choice and none of my business.

4. Maddie Ruud profile image70
      Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When I see a woman with her head covered, in my daily life (as opposed to on a news reel), I think about how strong she is to stand up against the general fear and hatred of Islam in this country today.  I used to wear a headscarf, and I was consistently treated very differently because of it.  What the majority of people in this country who object to hijab do not realize is that they themselves oppress women who cover, in the way that they look at, talk to, and judge them.

Just to be clear, I'm only talking about the States, here, not Muslim countries.

5. Woman Of Courage profile image58
      Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi KnowledgeSeeker, It really depends on the reason for covering herself. Do a Muslim woman overly cover herself to prevent men from looking at her?

KNOWLEDGESEEKER79posted 13 years agoin reply to this

In part yes, and it also guards her from those who may wish her harm. We are muslim queens and so we dress accordingly, a Queen does not flaunt her body for everyone to gawk at, she dresses in such a way that she will be taken seriously and treated with respect.

1. Woman Of Courage profile image58
          Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I understand your point and respect the Muslim women rights to dress in the manner they choose. I choose not to dress half naked in public, but I don't feel I should overly cover myself to keep men from looking at me. There are many women in America and all over this world who were wearing long dresses while being raped by men. Why do Muslim women feel a need to cover their face? I look forward to your response.

6. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think to myself 'I wonder if that is Paar under there??"  smile

7. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

She has been indoctrinated to believe that if she wasn't covered up, that I will leer perversely at her body, and as a result will lose control of myself and abuse, harass and rape her on the spot.

It is highly unlikely to occur to her that I would simply think she was a beautiful woman, say "Good day" with a smile, and move on.

If she was indoctrinated to believe she must cover herself because of men who cannot control themselves and will rape her if she doesn't cover herself, that would indeed be a form of oppression.

Indoctrination requires the person to accept uncritically everything they are taught, without question. If a choice were made, it would be based on the indoctrination, not rational or reasonable thought. Big difference.

smile

8. profile image0
      just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think a muslim in America could be oppressed unless she allows herself to be, but yes they are oppressed because they are taught, and accept without question, that they need to be covered to protect themselves. They are taught that men can't control themselves and it is the fault of the woman if something happens.

It flies in the face of reality. If they gave a reasonable explanation as to why they choose to dress that way I might respond differently.

9. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If she is totally covered the first thought that comes to my mind is: Why is she covering her face? Is she forced to dress this way? What does she have to hide? Is she that ugly? Is she that beautiful? No religion should force its women to cover their face up there is no shame in revealing a face.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Much like Catholic women not being able to be priests. Most religions treat women subserviently.

Ok Wilderness...so in what way is she not able to fulfil her ful potential and how does Islam forbid such a thing?

She is denied most of the experiences that are available to other people.  No schooling, no driving, no real travel, social interaction only with children and other similarly oppressed women - the list goes on and on.

Without these experiences to help her find knowledge and abilities, she never will.

While I realize that there are women than wear the garb and still may have the opportunities, they are very rare.  The large majority of islamic women never see most opportunities.

Woow wilderness youpaint a very dark picure of Muslim women. Do you know any Muslim women personally?...Is this what they tell you?...I know hundreds of Muslims women and none  of them experience what you just described. I drive all the time as well as my freinds, we get togetherr for ladies nites  and have a good time while the hubbies stay home with the kids...lol...We all go to to school some of us work also, are you refering to any specific Muslim ladies or just ladies in general. I know some of what you have described is the reality of Muslim women in other countries and this is very sad, but its not the religion which treats women in such a way, its mens skewed interpretation of Islam which oppresses their women.

Yes, of course, it is the muslim women in muslim societies that I speak of.  Not those in the free world.

Islam changes radically when it must co-exist with others and perhaps the largest change of all is the way that it treats its women.  I am happy for you that you can join humanity and still maintain your religion, but I believe that few muslim women find that possible.  Muslims in America are a small percentage of those in the world.

Islam in its purest form has always uplifted and protected women, before ISlam women were forced into marriages, they were not allowed to own property, they had no sy in the affairs of their lives and they were treated in some instances as slaves. Islam gave women rights to vote and the rights to her own money and property, she has the right to choose or refuse a husband, she has the right to be educated she also hs rights over her husband. These are our Good given rights and all men are suppose to uphold them, but saddly this is not the casein some instances. I believe your view of most Muslim women is a bit one sided,  most Muslim women are able to live freely and go about their daily lives, those that are subjugated are in the minority yet it the ones who live in these horrible conditions who get all the press. I am wondering where you are getting your info from because your view of Muslim women is very shocking.

I have not studied the issue at any depth; I only know what I see taking place in the middle east; the center of Islam.  I am sure that the viewpoint gathered there is very one sided, but it also comes from the basis of Islam, not the modified version used in developed countries.

Most religions, including Islam, change as people become educated and demand freedom.  The people holding the power in the various religions find they cannot oppress an educated, free population to near the extent that they can a backwards, ignorant people.

Even in the middle east Islam is changing and groups such as the Taliban cannot rule with impunity any longer.  Nevertheless, there are still vast numbers of people, mostly women, that are truly oppressed.  Rape victims that are now criminals as a result of the rape.  Schoolchildren shot to death for going to school.  No, knowledgeseeker, Islam is not kind to it's subjects.

I am afraid you have been mislead my freind, Islam is kind to its people, its people who take Islam and distort it. Education is compusary on all Muslims Men ,women and children. Islam in its pure form is a help to society not a hinderance, such horrendous acts that are committed by these so called Muslims are not in accordance with the beauty of Islam. I ask you to get to know some Muslims and do research into the beauty of ISlam and learn the truth, you cant judge the religion by the actions of misguided individuals, if you would do this for me it would be greatly appreciated.
                  God Bless,

3. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

I know I should not promote my own hubs but here is a link to a hub I wrote about women in Saudi Arabia - http://hubpages.com/hub/Saudi-Arabia-Women as it is relevant to what you are asking about..

Yes those Muslim women are oppressed and very badly treated!!!!

4. TahoeDoc profile image79
    TahoeDocposted 13 years ago

The first thing I think of is the book Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. She was a muslim woman, quite devout at one point, who fled an arranged marriage and took refuge, eventually in Holland. She became a member of the parliament there, but was forced to flee after her life was threatened.

She collaborated on a documentary about the oppression of muslim women. In response, the producer of the documentary, Theo Van Gogh, was murdered and mutilated and had a note 'pinned' to his chest warning her that she was next.

She is now in hiding, presumably in the United States.

Even after she left the religion, she is oppressed by it. So even living in Western society, you may not be free to live as you choose, especially if you speak out against any perceived or real injustice. That is oppression.

I also read her book and was stunned at the things she experienced in a mUslim country. But she is wrong to paint the whole religion in such an ugly light. I have been born and raised in Islam and have never experienced any of what she described.

5. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 13 years ago

I would see her as a human being, equal to every other member of the human race.

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

Muslims live in all sorts of countries, Fiji, New Zealand etc.  And country alone doesn't tell you if a woman wears her garb freely or under pressure from other.  Best just not to make any assumptions.  I would no more assume a burkha meant someone was oppressed than assume a miniskirt meant she was a slut--regardless of country.  And I might wear one myself if in a context where I deemed that to be respectful and appropriate.

7. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I don't think much at all to be honest. I see Muslim women every day, in all sorts of dress. I don't really think much but what I do is smile and nod in greeting. I work at a school so most of the women I see are dropping kids off at school and such, so usually what I see is a mother, or daughter, or sister or even in some cases, a friend. When I first moved here and started working at a school I found myself suddenly very exposed to Muslim women and their kids, when before I had never had the chance to say hi to a Muslim person before. Back then my first thought was not about them but rather about what they thought of me! As an american, I was actually worried that they would be expecting racism from me and I didn't want to go there. Funny thing is we never had problems, I made a few friends with them. I would say that the women I respect, they have all been just lovely, the men on the other hand............
    Far fewer of them are even polite let alone lovely to see and call a friend.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)