Did I just see a warning from HP that my comment to a Hub is too short

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Sally's Trove profile image79
    Sally's Troveposted 12 years ago

Unfortunately, I can't seem to duplicate this experience. But a little while ago I started to write a comment to a Hub and got that warning (in red) before I was done with my comment. Am I hallucinating?

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just went and put a 4-letter word comment on your latest hub. There were no problems. big_smile

Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol I thought so! And ty for the short comment. smile

But I don't think my eyes deceived me...maybe HP is up to another change and testing it out on select Hubbers.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hope it was a nice 4-letter word smile

It wasn't F*** or anything like that, it was, in fact the word "nice."

2. homesteadbound profile image81
      homesteadboundposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have had this happen to me on comments and in the forums. You are hallucinating, unless we're in this dream together!

I love a shared dream. It lends reality to individual experience. lol

2. Sally's Trove profile image79

LOL, paradigmsearch, I just went to leave a comment on my Hub to your comment. It was just a smiley...smile, and here's the message I got just as I typed it in, in red:

Your comment is rather short.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59

I guess they're not doing it to me because they already know I'm an illiterate commenter (Level One). lol

Nothing illiterate about you.

what keystroke combination makes this laughing face, paradigmsearch?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

: lol : without the spaces between the colons lol

2. paradigmsearch profile image59

": l o l :"  without the spaces or quotes. Also, click on the formatting doohickey, lower right for more info. smile

1. homesteadbound profile image81

lol

Thanks! is generally too short also.

Seems to be, for those of us who are granted the high-five of HP vision. Others are left in the lurch.

3. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Hmmm... I think an HP Staffer may be due here soon...big_smile

4. Sally's Trove profile image79

I like the idea...it gives a warning that "Nice" or "Good Hub" don't qualify as valid/meaningful comments, especially since HP now has that commenter level thing. But it would be nice to let folks know that changes are happening rather than letting folks find them out by error, accident, or default.

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Here's a thought.
      How about writing:
      "I'm writing the minimum number of words to not get my comment flagged before I put in a smiley face which really is all I wanted to say." lol

That would do it. Just keep it as a retrievable piece of text to insert before a four-letter word or a smiley. Yup.

2. jimmythejock profile image82
      jimmythejockposted 12 years ago

I have seen it before when i have tried to answer a question in the answers section with a simple yes or no but never in a hub or forum.....jimmy

TY, Jimmy...never saw it in the answers section, but then, I don't do much there. Maybe it's been around for longer than I think? Or has just shown up in the comments feature. Who knows?

3. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

Yes, I have seen this happening for months now in comments on Hubs that look like they are rather short. I usually just add a few more words and it is fine.

Has there ever been an official blog post or post in the official forum threads to tell us about this? I never saw it before today.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
          mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not that I know of, but I only noticed it by accident as I usually leave longer comments.

.. which you do. smile

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
              mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL, I agree, I could never stop talking, so typing is like the equivalent of talking online smile

4. Moon Daisy profile image78
      Moon Daisyposted 12 years ago

Getting the message "Your comment is rather short.", would make me chuckle.  It sounds kind of like a friendly observation, rather than a warning!  I haven't experienced this so far, as I do tend to go on a bit in my comments.  I'd find it hard to write a one-word answer to anything, lol!  lol

The funny thing is that this message pops up before you finish your comment. Like, if you pause to think while in the middle of a comment, it's there.

I don't think it's a friendly observation. I think it's a way to cover HP's algo for determining level-setting for commenters. I'm a level-6 commenter, but plenty are higher than that not because they leave rich comments, but only because they comment...a lot.

Food for thought, especially in the absence of any word from HP.

5. Moon Daisy profile image78
      Moon Daisyposted 12 years ago

...But it is interesting to know about this. smile  Thanks.

6. LindaSmith1 profile image61
      LindaSmith1posted 12 years ago

That has happened to me even though I wrote a complete sentence,at least.

So, we've got to wonder what this is about. I find it grossly annoying, as a message in bold and red text, but I also find it inappropriate. At least let this message appear when you submit your comment, but not before. And it also annoys me that there's been nothing from HP that explains what this is.

7. GmaGoldie profile image79
      GmaGoldieposted 12 years ago

I had this happen too! Apparently, being concise is not what we are here for! Oh, boy, am I in trouble!

I don't think you are in any trouble at all...maybe HP is. To be concise is to make a point in few words. Whatever is going on here isn't discriminating between contributing and spamming.

Now that I think about it a bit more, is there a value HP is placing on numbers of words as opposed to the content of the words? This reminds me of the poetry debate.

8. bangingbeauty profile image56
      bangingbeautyposted 12 years ago

I got this same message before too when I typed the word "hi" and pressed the enter button accidentally big_smile

9. Sally's Trove profile image79

This is so interesting. Sort of like a ghost popping up now and again. HP at work on another improvement?

10. Tom Schirmer profile image61
      Tom Schirmerposted 12 years ago

Hi all.  There has been a minimum length rule for comments for quite a while, but we recently upgraded the code we use to detect and message it, which inadvertantly caused the error to be checked while typing, rather than just on submit, as it was before.  I'll do a bit of tuning to switch it back to being submit only.  Sorry for any inconvenience or confusion.

Ty, Tom, for the response, but that still doesn't address the question about the value of a concise and totally appropriate comment which may not meet HP's requirement for numbers of words. There is a world in a grain of sand (William Blake).

11. christmaswoman12 profile image61
      christmaswoman12posted 12 years ago

I got that message today

12. barryrutherford profile image74
      barryrutherfordposted 12 years ago

Unaccustomed as i am to making comment for the lack of brevity.  I find it far too hard to make short succinct comment but on this occasion i have very little to say in this thread other that an simple comment like nice hub smile

1. carol3san profile image59
        carol3sanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've never seen that warning sign before.  I wonder just how many words you have to type before they consider your response a good one?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)