jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (24 posts)

My Commenter Level Went Down?

1. hotwebideas profile image80
    hotwebideasposted 4 years ago

This is strange. I was a level 3 commenter and have been commenting a lot in the last week, hopefully considered quality comments, but I went down to a level 2 commenter today. Does anyone know if Hubpages changed their commenting rules? I find this frustrating.

1. Ms Dee profile image85
      Ms Deeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Just so you know, I have been wondering the same thing, as I have experienced in recent days what you describe. I think therefore a change in the commenting rules is a likely conclusion. hmm

2. Dale Hyde profile image86
      Dale Hydeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Mine has not went lower...yet. I am still at level 5. But Dee could be right on the money, they may have changed the rules governing the comment levels.

2. sofs profile image88
    sofsposted 4 years ago

I guess you should not worry about these numbers... it is there just to keep you active on this site and serves no other purpose..Keep doing what you do... mine went down a few months ago and reverted back after about a month. It hasn't gone up since...

1. Will Apse profile image90
      Will Apseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The comments you make give you internal links, strengthening your sub domain and the site as a whole. I should probably make more.

1. Ms Dee profile image85
        Ms Deeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Your comment, Will, is a good overriding point to keep in mind.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image90
        mistyhorizon2003posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I read that Google had devalued internal links therefore they held little value apart from within HP, they won't give you or the site any advantage outside of HP any more.

2. hotwebideas profile image80
      hotwebideasposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I am active on the site and it seemed that the more active I was, my numbers when down. Weird.

3. WD Curry 111 profile image61
    WD Curry 111posted 4 years ago

Watch the shells. Which one is the pea under? Play again?

Bring it on WD Curry!

4. Jason Menayan profile image59
    Jason Menayanposted 4 years ago

No, no change. The Commenter level is calculated using a moving 9-month window, so it might be that you haven't left as many comments in the past month as you did 10 months ago, for instance.

Also, very short comments (like 1-2 word comments) do not help your score; not sure if that applies to the comments you've left.

Thanks, Jason. My comments are a lot more than 2 words. LOL

5. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 4 years ago

Yeah Right!!  Tell the Whole Story Jason! sad

It does annoy me that in real life my Level of Sarcasm has always been a 10..

and here on HP.. with absolutely no appreciation of: my accent, quick wit, ability to deflate over zealous egos, total lack of tact and blatant honesty.. the best I can get here is a 5!! roll

1. profile image0
      summerberrieposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I love your accent!

1. Pearldiver profile image86
        Pearldiverposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Wow.. thanks for that.. yes.. it is always so much clearer with a mouth full of strawberries... big_smile

1. profile image0

Mine is very southern (with or without the strawberries) I am sure you'd like it!

1. Pearldiver profile image86
            Pearldiverposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yum... thanks.. I'm sure... I loved the range of Southern accents, on the occasions that I've been to the states.. smile 
            In many northern states I found a lot of people thought my accent was Australian, yet in the south everyone picked my accent as Kiwi! smile
            But to be fair, I wonder if my tee-shirt saying: "I Love New Zealand!" was a clue? big_smile

1. lobobrandon profile image82
              lobobrandonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I guess it should have been yikes

1. profile image0

Hi lobobrandon, have you had a Pacos cantaloupe yet! Just to stay on topic so I want be accused of high jacking a threat....how is your comment level? Haven't noticed any of your wonderful encouraging comments on my hubs lately (smile)!

2. profile image0

OMG, we both have Elvish accents! (get it?)

6. JKenny profile image93
    JKennyposted 4 years ago

Funny thing about accents. I remember being in Rome and my accent was mistaken firstly for Irish and then Australian by a couple of American tourists. But I committed a blooper of my own when I mistook a Canadian accent for an American one, oops smile

1. profile image0

It's true. In parts of Georgia (SC)- I don't sound southern at all- they mistake me as having a Canadian accent,too!

7. SidKemp profile image96
    SidKempposted 4 years ago

I just found the official HubPages explanation of what governs commenter level awards, and I wanted to share it. This, plus the note above that it's in a 9-month window, makes everything pretty clear.

http://blog.hubpages.com/2011/05/commenter-accolade/

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image89
      Healthy Pursuitsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for that link, Sid. I don't pay much attention to the comment level, but it's nice to know what goes into various rankings in HP.

working