Teens

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Williamjordan profile image57
    Williamjordanposted 13 years ago

With the times being as they are how do you feel about using rap to promote postive teen enviornment.Me personaly feel that it's wrong there nothing postive about today rap music and the message it sends teens. To many teens are dieing a head of time by living the message that rap promotes.

1. Garrett McLee profile image40
      Garrett McLeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think Mainstream Rap promotes a positive teen environment at all, so I don't know how or why it woul dbe used to promote a positive teen environment.  However, if someone were to make a rap that promoted a positive teen environment, that would be a different story.  Unfortunately, teens are somewhat intelligent and will catch on fast.  Only young kids will be easily fooled by such a thing.

I think a strong family household promotes a positive teen environment.

2. XxMrsSiscoxX profile image59
      XxMrsSiscoxXposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We are influenced by tons of music whether it be country, rock, rap, alternative, emo, or whatever. You have to understand that although Rap lyrics can sometimes describe violence in its music and hate crimes and tons of other terrible things that it isn't the only culprate. I myself prefer alternative music and rarely listen to rap or hip hop but I still want to speak up so adults can hear my cry. You all have been there too. Your morals and ideas have changed of course when you started a family and moved on from the stage we are in now. We're influenced by tons of things, TV, movies, books, music, are you going to take it all away from us just to fit the mold you have set out for society? Music helps many grow as individuals whether it be good or bad and many listen to the music they do because of their home lives, the problem doesn't lye in the music but in the household itself with these "molds" parents set for their children to fill but in the end teens just want to express themselves. When I look back I had so many opportunities to be a famous child star or even a child prodigy of some sort but I was limited. I will never be stereo typical adults like any of you, I want the word "freedom" in my household not "restricted" or "limited" even if that means having to hear "rap" music played from my teen's bedroom.

2. smartelic14 profile image60
    smartelic14posted 13 years ago

I completely agree with both of you.  Today's rap artists talk about anything and everything negative.  I know I'm only 20, but I'm smart enough not to let song lyrics decide what I do with my life and I hope other teens follow my example smile Thanks for posting this

3. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 13 years ago

teens like rap because rap music release adrenaline, makes them temporary excited and hyper. though these are for temporary but they use their esteem to enjoy different things, maybe some got wrong way or maybe some got right one.
    Well, Rap is actually not a thing which promotes teens.

4. profile image0
    Lecieposted 13 years ago

most often llcoolj has positive messages in his rap. he wants kids to stay in school. most kids look up to him because he's also been in movies. if you do a web search on him you will find what a great person he is. he puts that greatness into his rap.

1. Garrett McLee profile image40
      Garrett McLeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There's a lot of artists out there  like that.  Unfortunately they don't all get the recognition.  LLCoolJ isn't really heard on the radio anymore, either.  It's very unfortunate.

5. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 13 years ago

Actually, Raps no different than other forms of music.  Have you listened to Country music lately?  The message in most country songs is no better than rap.  They just say it differently.  If you want your teens to get the right message, stick to instrumentals.

6. Beth100 profile image67
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

Whether the form is rap, western, rock or metal, there will always be messages in the lyrics that we don't agree to for our teens.  Audio music is not the only culprit.  Every watch the music videos that are played?  Most of the time, the lyrics aren't heard but the suggestive actions of the actors/singers/group is obvious and sends the message out loud and clear.  Then, there's podcasts and YouTube and many other internet sources that also provide the wrong messages.  Bottom line -- the messages are out there.  How we use these sources and teach our children to distinguish between reality and fantasy is the important lesson because you will never keep these messages away.  Afterall, what do you do when they hang out with their friends?

7. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Isn't this the age-old issue of parents (the older generation) vs. the "evil" music their kids listen to? It didn't start with Elvis Presley, but from him forward parents have been objecting to the lyrics of music their kids are listening to. Which, of course, makes the kids only want to listen to it MORE.
    I cringe when I hear the messages in the rap music my son listens to. It's mysogynistic, glorifies the gangsta life and "purple" weed. I've figured out the more I object, the less I am heard.
    THere IS positive message rap out there. And anything that gets teens' attention without turning them off to the message is a good thing. Certainly reaching them through rap would be more effective than tying to reach them through other means...

8. Nustylze profile image61
    Nustylzeposted 13 years ago

I hate to jump on my soap box here but I feel somebody needs to. Yes hip hop lyrics are bad as our country lyrics. Yes hip hop videos are bad but no worse then rock stars in skin tight leather half naked on stage in front of teenage girls. The problem is not nor has it ever been the music or the artist. If you give an artist, any artist a way to express their views on a subject they will. Why are we not looking at the artist managers that promote this, the radio stations that play it, the video stations that air it? What about the record labels that go out looking for these acts to sign. It really irritates me when people act as though music is whats wrong with the world, people are whats wrong with the world. Especially people who blame others for their problems. Hip Hop as with all music is for entertainment if you don't like it don't listen if you really don't like the message write your congressman. I guarantee if you congressman starts receiving 3000 letters a day of people unhappy with the state of music things will quickly change. So to close and get done from my soap box, music can be turned on or off at the push of a button. The problem is when the music stops people are still impressionable. Parents, Teachers, Friends, all leaders need to assume a more active role in making our communities better, but don't blame music, that's just sad!

9. rebekahELLE profile image83
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

rap is misunderstood for a lot of adults. there is the gangsta rap, and yeah, some of it is rough, yet some of it is just these guys telling their story, and some of it is just pure hype, like any other kind of music. it's there in every genre. who really wants to listen to pop now? it all sounds alike. 
    the rapper I do like who sends more of a positive, socially aware message is Common. I don't know if he is still as popular as he was.

if it's too positive and unrealistic, kids won't listen. it's part of growing up.

10. rebekahELLE profile image83
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

#1- never say never. wink

I do agree with you that kids should be allowed to listen to their music. I have two sons and growing up, I did not restrict their music, BUT I did listen to it and read the cd liner notes and it opened up dialog between us. I talked with them, found out why they liked a certain song, not in a condescending, why do you like that song, but more, 'tell me about it, what's he saying, what's his message?'
    but my guys also had to hear my music, all kinds, and now they're both musicians and one has a freelance job scoring his first movie.

11. Anne Pettit profile image62
    Anne Pettitposted 13 years ago

Some rap music is pretty interesting.  Writing rap is also a good way for teens to express themselves.  Not all rap is foul or disrespectful.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)