What is your writing style

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (72 posts)
  1. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

Aer your serious,funny a mixture of both or what?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image55
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was trained research style of writing, more objective but I compensate with my poetry

2. seanorjohn profile image69
      seanorjohnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I always describe my writing style as "whimsical nonsense".

3. KeithTax profile image73
      KeithTaxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I push nouns up against verbs and see what sticks. Amazing process. Once in a blue moon it actually looks good.

4. manlypoetryman profile image77
      manlypoetrymanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm shooting for conversational "East" Texan most of the time...with my writings...Oh yes...and "Manly" style writings!

5. tantrum profile image59
      tantrumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm random

1. manlypoetryman profile image77

HHHMMMM...So...that's what a random tantrum is?

1. tantrum profile image59

AHA ! LOL!

How goes it, my friend...I see the "eye' is back!

It's winter now. Too cold for a bikini. Eyes don't suffer frozen nights. lol

6. profile image0
      VenomsEdgeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Stories, poetry, comedy...........

7. tgrace2105 profile image57
      tgrace2105posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Poetry, short stories, short plays, all evolve around drama, romance, and some comedy.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

I don't know. In fact, I always wonder what it means when people say "I like your writing style".

3. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

I just write... Is there a need to conform to a "style"??

4. NightEmpress profile image60
    NightEmpressposted 13 years ago

Poetry

5. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Write as quickly as possible and then press publish.

6. andromida profile image55
    andromidaposted 13 years ago

I have no idea about my writing style.Never have I learned any specific writing style.Since both my bachelor and master degree were taught in English, I learned some useful English words-since English was not my first language.To be frank my writing reflects what exactly I feel.To become a writer, I need to learn from you all a lot,in fact I read many great hubbers hub on regular basis developing my writing skills only-this is the only way I find time developing my writing skill.Never thought about my style of writing.Hopefully my writing sucks! smile

7. Origin profile image60
    Originposted 13 years ago

I write the way I talk, and people have described me as witty, funny, and interesting... soooooo ya. big_smile

8. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I don't know...?  I seem to be all over the board....hmm

9. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

you tell me. big_smile

1. mega1 profile image79
      mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

radical, freethought, in your face realistic, fantastic, uniquely ralwus, only a bit like Bukowski - makes the women tremble and the men think  or sometimes the men tremble and the women think

10. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

honest, sincere, logical, commonsensical, with a dash of dry wit! smile

11. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 13 years ago

I'm not sure. I think I am personable, and colorful in my writing. It depends what kind and what purpose. If it is informative it is more concise, and if it is creative/editorial work, it is more illustrious. :]

12. wesleycox profile image70
    wesleycoxposted 13 years ago

My style is easy... almost conversational like I'm talking to you.  Or so I've been told.

13. manlypoetryman profile image77
    manlypoetrymanposted 13 years ago

Yikes...Winter! Hope your having a good one there.

Mild, as it's just going to begin the 21st.

14. manlypoetryman profile image77

Hope ya'll have a continaully nice winter (unlike our fr_ckin' one was)...What's the Skiing like in your parts?

Incredible! They come from everywhere  for winter sports.

15. manlypoetryman profile image77

Really? Skiing is the only good reason for Winter! lol Would like to go Ski there...someday...!?

Check in Gooogle San Martin de los Andes, Las leñas, Chapelco. three of the most important centers.

Looks like a beautiful place to go Skiing in a Beautiful Country!

Yeah ! big_smile

2. profile image57
        Pattie Bonckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I seem to have several different styles of writing. My spiritual writings are more like automatic writing. It's as if i am channeling (nope never actually channeled anyone, except my alter ego perhaps.), the words seem to flow with ease and my thoughts simply fall gently to the paper, without edit or rewrite.
        On the other hand, when I write about health and environmental sustainability. it is usually in the form of a how to instructional guide.

16. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Fifth grade irrational.

Sometimes lunatic fringe.

Often irreverent.

Self deprecating, boastful and contradictory.

Pedantic and confusing?

Desparate?  Hopeful? 

Perhaps a tad sarcastic at times?  Could be..

17. Me, Steve Walters profile image79
    Me, Steve Waltersposted 13 years ago

I've been told I write alot like "Me"!

Me is a wonderful writer. I love Me a lot ! big_smile

1. Me, Steve Walters profile image79
        Me, Steve Waltersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why Thank You For Loving Me!

Are you Me ?
          Wow ! I thought Me was me big_smile

lol

No "Me" is Me...Gee! "Me" thought you already knew that!

Well, I'm Me as well. Maybe we both are the same ? R U my sockpuppet ? roll

lol

"Me" wants to know where you would put your hands if I was...!lol

Are you trying to get me banned ? hmm  LOLOLOL!!

18. Me, Steve Walters profile image79

Who "Me" ?

19. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 13 years ago

Yes, you !

20. Me, Steve Walters profile image79

HHHMMMM......?
    No...Not "Me"!!!
    http://www.biographicon.com/images/Curlyhoward.jpg
    "Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk...!"

21. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 13 years ago

lol I've seen that pic before ! lol lol

22. Me, Steve Walters profile image79

tantrum...I know...the same ol' stuff as the other "Me" used to use...but ya' got'ta love Curly! Anyways...you're always the !

23. manlypoetryman profile image77

"T"?

Hey !I have things to do ! lol

See ya' "T"...Later!

C U !

24. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 13 years ago

mmmmm. I would have to say funny, serious and completely creative writing from the heart is what I do best. smile

25. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

fantasy and mystery LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

26. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

So awesome to see old buddies ,well not old , friends of old ,hows that -hahahaha..forget it yer old..lol

Writing style.um...either serious( like I know what Im talking about..right) hehe  ,or light conversational,over the back fence kinda style..

Of course Im expecting my writing style to mature ,as I master a more developed style ,one could say unique even...lol

Good 4 U !  smile

27. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Hey tantrum , how are you !!

Hey long time no see !! Where were you ? I'm still alive lol

28. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

My writing style is witty but monotonous.  I segregate words through the process of entropy, and have the ability to write four sentence paragraphs in one sentence.  My punctuation defies the rules of grammar as I slash typos like a hyphen.  Some say their writing style is a gift, mine is a curse that creates presence.

1. vanchen profile image69
      vanchenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like it.

29. Maria Cecilia profile image83
    Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years ago

Another writer said my writing style is simple, but its simplicity became an advantage because readers can easily relate to it..

My style is always "write the way you talk", but I think i love to experiment with words and sentences.. I  just love to incorporate changes in every article.

30. wingedcentaur profile image64
    wingedcentaurposted 13 years ago

Good Day Optimus Grimlock

I would say that one's writing style is an amplification of his best and worst qualities. I would say this is so generally, but I find that it is certainly true of me. This must be so because writing obviously takes place at a slower pace than talking. We have more time to think about what we want to say and more time and depth to say what we want to say.

I strive for simplicity of expression, though some people, I have learned, find me pompous (they didn't put it that way, but that's what it amounts to). I suppose my style is primarily serious with flashes of irony and wit as opposed to outright humor, when and if the opportunities present themselves.

I strive for precision of expression, as, I suspect is the habit of most students who had Mr. Wilson for a teacher in sixth grade. He was science and social studies. I had a very good English teacher in eigth and ninth grade, a Mr. Egan.

Anyway, my desire for precision is the reason my answer is so long, and yet from your perspective, not anwering your question. But my habit is to look at a question and address both the underlying question as well as the obvious question, roughly what I call REASONS and reasons - there is a difference.

I won't subject you my theory here. I guess you can think of me as a kind of excavator.

Thanks

Take care.

1. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hello, welcome.

Did you say that when writing we have more time to think about what we want to say?  I have to argue with that.  Many, many times my mind is moving too fast for my hands (or fingers as I type) to keep up.  There are even times when I have to go back over what I've written to remind myself what it was that I was expecting to come next.

I am interested in knowing why you pointed out your teachers names....are you trying to give the world a clue as to who you are?  lol (just my mind thinking sillyness)

1. wingedcentaur profile image64
        wingedcentaurposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good Day Rafini

No, I'm not trying to blow the cover off my secret identity. I was just mentioning my influences in passing. You say that you sometimes find your mind moving too fast for your finger. Okay.

What do you think of the idea that writing - especially over the Internet - is/can be an amplification of the best and worst of ourselves? I think this is so, but GW Nichols seems to think people are holding themselves back in an effort to be commercial? He is hosting a forum to that effect, asking why this is so.

What do you think?

31. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Tantrum - Im at the flea market smile

hahaha...

No Im here morphing ( kinda like that word) its growing on me lol

So many ideas in my head ,if only they could find their way to the damn keyboard ,we'd be in business.

To your best life smile

32. Slainia profile image61
    Slainiaposted 13 years ago

I wish I knew. Still in the process of trying to figure that out....how does one go about finding out, anyway? Aside from writing lots and lots. Cus I'm already working on that, slowly. Good luck to everyone!

33. brianzen profile image60
    brianzenposted 13 years ago

My style.... iffy

34. ashleyvanillilife profile image60
    ashleyvanillilifeposted 13 years ago

- From the heart♥ and life experience.

35. heart4theword profile image61
    heart4thewordposted 13 years ago

Really never thought about it?  I did have a fellow-hubber say, that one of my hubs was written in a Conversational style?  Maybe, you have a list of styles we can choose from:)

36. profile image0
    GW Nicholsposted 13 years ago

My writing style is Narrative Prose that annoys the hell out of English professors because they love it hate it fight it accept it/

37. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I have a bunch of different styles that I use, depending on what kind of thing I'm writing.  One thing I won't do, though, is write in short sentences for the sake of keeping sentences short (in order to please anyone who claims "nobody wants to read long sentences").  People can "not-read" my stuff if they want, but I won't turn my writing into something that looks like it came from one article spinner and is ready to be spun yet again.

Of course, I'm not sure we can ever really know what our own writing style is.  I wrote a Hub in answer to a question about how to help kids know why math is important in life.  I thought I was being perfectly "folksy" and yet "straight-talking", and aiming it at secondary-school teens.  The other day someone asked me who my "target audience" was and whether it was written for professors.  (Oops!  smile  )

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)