your thoughts on marriage?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (34 posts)
  1. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

how to you perceive marriage?..formality to approve companionship?..made in heaven?..not necessary?..or any thing else?

1. Origin profile image61
      Originposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A union of souls between a couple. That's basically it to me, a joining of people who love each other and want to be committed to each other for the rest of their lives.

pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

union of souls..wonderful words..

1. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69
          ThoughtfulSpotposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Indeed they are.  Well said Origin.

1. Origin profile image61
            Originposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah shucks! *blushes* big_smile

2. goldenpath profile image68
      goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ordained of God

Designed to be eternal

Only source of true happiness

Requiring 100% effort from both and NOT 50/50

Union of souls for the purpose of eternal life and ultimate joy

A pain at times but definitely worth the journey

1. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only source of true happiness

aaww man!  Now there's 2 ways to ensure I'm never happy!!  lol  roll

3. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i believe marriage should ideally be a union between two people that truly love each other deep down in their hearts, and would never want to be apart.  I also think people shouldn't rush into marriages because that's how people often end up getting divorces.  As many people are often so eager to marry someone because they think they're in love with them, but in reality they may have only been going out for like a few months or weeks or whatever.  True love takes time to develop and shouldn't be rushed.  Although I know some marriages aren't always made out of that ideal reasoning like arranged marriages and such.  However, to me that's ideally what marriage should be.

this is also one of the many reasons why if i did meet the girl of my dreams someday, I wouldn't want to rush things with her if it felt too soon.  As I only plan on marrying once in my life.  It's just that I've been in a few relationships in the past that didn't go anywhere, so I've never been in any type of serious relationship. 

That's why I always told myself naively that the woman i'd marry would be the only girl for me that truly understands me.  but hey that's just me.  lol.  anyway, peace out homies!  (just kidding)

2. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 13 years ago

A marriage by definition is a union, or a bringing together.

A marriage between people, I believe, is a commitment, an assurance that you intend to love one another forever, an admittance that you need that person in your life, a promise that you will work hard when there is hard work to be done and an affirmation that you have found something that was missing in your life and that you plan to hold on to him or her for as long as life will allow.

As with all intentions, things may not go as planned, but marriage is about dealing with the bumps along the way rather than walking out at the first sign of trouble.  (I'm not preaching against divorce here, merely saying that I think that may be the step where we move from simply "a relationship" to "marriage."  That time when we see that the rough patches are just that... patches, and that it is worth the work to get through them if it means he [or she] will be there in the morning.)

3. lightning john profile image60
    lightning johnposted 13 years ago

A marriage is a contract. Some people have almost the same relationship with their employment companies.

4. Greek One profile image62
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

an excuse not to use condoms

there you go again ..greek one's one liners...lol

2. andromida profile image56
      andromidaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I guess so.Your statement is more politely known as marriage.I like you comment.thanks greek smile

5. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 13 years ago

Marriage works for me!  I guess it all depends on the spouse you choose.

that great that marriage works for you..but my question is how you perceive marriage?

1. tobey100 profile image60
        tobey100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, sorry.  In a nutshell, the perfect environment in which to experience and share ones's life.

perfect...

6. Dobson profile image76
    Dobsonposted 13 years ago

Marriage is a commitment for life, one that you don't make based on lust or what you can get out of it. You must bewilling to work through whatever the issues are without believing you can just chuck the whole mess when it does not go your way.

I like the "soul" idea as that is certainly true. If you have found the right person your souls intertwine and the experience is beautiful!

7. profile image0
    Precious Williamsposted 13 years ago

I perceive marriage at its best to be a wonderful union in which to people feel one half of the same person. For many happy people it is a union in which you can be yourself.  For others it is a comforting relationship that does not excite but it is companiable and suits both sides. However, marriage can also be a relationship that descends into boredom, distrust and disinterest and at its worse it is a prison.

8. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Marriage is a religious concept turned ordinary and made about money by government.

A couple does not require marriage to maintain a life long love for one another. Love does not require marriage.

1. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69
      ThoughtfulSpotposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are right that love in no way requires marriage, but personally I believe it can be improved by it... - or maybe "enhanced" is a better word.  [But, only if it is right for that couple. I'm in no way saying that what is right for me is "right."]  I remember the day I married my husband with such fondness and joy.  Our love exists outside of our marriage, but having a formal convention to express and celebrate that love was a wonderful experience for us.  Having a whole day in which we formally committed to continue to work for our love, through the good times and the bad, and then celebrated that new commitment and shared our happiness with our family and closest friends is a warm and wonderful memory that I will carry with me the rest of my life.

I am a very independent woman, however, I chose to take my husband's name (which some of my friends balked at).  I did that because I enjoy the concept of us being our own "family unit."  Although I do believe that family is not based on name, some of these traditions and conventions ground me and remind me of the simpler joys in life.

That said, as to your first statement... I personally believe that Government should stay out of marriage altogether.  But, that's another thread. big_smile

2. andromida profile image56
      andromidaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

amen to that.

9. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Never again! lol

lol

10. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Marriage is one of those words that is easy for the simple-minded to try to define as "X."

Thinking humanity will see it differently. More of an X based on X. 

From there I would say that if two people have the same X of X, they have a pretty good shot of making something amazing out of the idea given some real communication, understanding, thought and dedication.

1. lightning john profile image60
      lightning johnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that my X is from the planet Niberu, planet x

1. Shadesbreath profile image76
        Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hah!

11. defenestratethis profile image60
    defenestratethisposted 13 years ago

Nice idea, but not alltogether realistic

12. profile image0
    WizardOfOzposted 13 years ago

Prelude to divorce.

13. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

Committing verbally through vows and a marriage ceremony are only the beginning steps.  For some reason, people believe that once you're married, you stay together for life.  It takes work from both parties to make the marriage. If one partner grows in a different direction and the other doesn't, it can lead to separate paths.  If one communicates and the other doesn't, it can lead to separate paths.  For marriage to succeed, there must be:  1. trust; 2. communication; 3.  growth - personal and together; 4. give and take; 5. empathy for the other; 6. appreciation and gratefulness for having the other in your life; and 7.  maintaining one's own individuality - a mistake than many make in a relationship  which eventually damages it.  Independence is just as important as dependence.  There's more to marriage than this but I would end up writing a hub... hmmm  big_smile

14. andromida profile image56
    andromidaposted 13 years ago

Marriage is just for social introduction of your new relationship, it is not anything related to commitment. To be committed to someone,we don't need to get married-to be committed we need to be honest from inside.Though Greek made a funny comment,but he got a very strong point behind that comment.

15. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

A union of souls and all of those other flowery flattery butterfly phrases can all be had without the need for a marriage license.  Being married means nothing without the commitment and respect that goes with it.  Marriage is highly over-rated and like Misha said...."never again!".

quiet right..commitment is the key..

16. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

My thoughts on marriage.....marriage is a religious ceremony designed to affirm the relationship between a man and a woman and present them before God as one.

Other than that, I've got nothing good to say about marriage...if you can make it work then good for you. smile  I know I'll never ever try that again!!  lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)