Halliburton - Oil Spill they Created Just Good Timing?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (24 posts)
  1. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 13 years ago

People blame BP because they run the operation... but Haliburton actually cased the rupture.

Why no anger towards Haliburton?  Gee... I wonder if it has anything to do with all the Haliburton Employees who move in and out of Government Positions?

==========================================================

Does a company that both builds oil rigs and cleans up oil spills have any motivation to prevent oil rig disasters?

That's the question some people in business and politics are asking themselves after Halliburton's purchase of an oil clean-up company 10 days before the Deepwater Horizon explosion that killed 11 workers and launched the worst oil spill in US history.

Some observers see a conspiracy in the actions of the company once headed by Dick Cheney. Halliburton, which built the cement casing for the Deepwater Horizon's drill, announced its purchase of Houston-based oilfield services company Boots and Coots for $240 million on April 9, just 11 days before the Deepwater Horizon explosion.

According to a report at the Christian Science Monitor Friday, Boots and Coots is now under contract with BP to help with the oil spill. The company "focuses on oil spill prevention and blowout response," CSM reports. Halliburton's purchase is not yet a done deal -- it's still awaiting regulatory approval, though few observers think the purchase won't pass muster.

"[Mergers and acquisitions] in the industrial and oil services sectors is totally normal," writes David Anderson at The Inspired Economist, "but the timing in this case, is not. Boots & Coots sure seems like the perfect company to own if it would soon become necessary to get more involved with some oil disaster.

2. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 13 years ago

MikeNV - You would have to search Hubpages pretty hard to find anyone with a LOWER opinion of Halliburton than me. But this dog won't hunt.

The deal has not gone through - and under the circumstances might not clear Congress if it turns out that Haliburton contributed to the disaster. If there was a conspiracy, it makes a lot more sense to wait until AFTER you have closed the deal to cause the spill.

At the moment, I don't care WHERE cleanup equipment comes from - or who BP pays for that gear. There will be a full investigation - and if Halliburton's gizmo failed - they may not be able to sell Bic lighters to the Oil giants.

1. alternate poet profile image68
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is no question that it IS Halliburton's gizmo that failed, the one that they installed, for the US Company who did the drilling and all the other work.

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
        Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't dispute that Halliburton made the 'blowout preventer' that ummmmm - didn't prevent the blowout. When all is said and done, I hope they cut that piece of tin out of the sea bed and do an autopsy. If it turns out that the device failed by bad design or construction, I hope Halliburton have to repay BP for the portion of the total cost they are responsible for.  We just don't know yet. I dislike Halliburton but we have only begun to gather the facts.

A general contractor is liable for the work of subcontractors. BP selected Halliburton so BP is the 'general' contractor and they can sue Halliburton for their failure - but BP will have to prove their case.  It's going to be an interesting trial. If BP can hang part of this on a defective 'gizmo', where does that leave Halliburton (in terms of liability) for the OTHER gizmos that they sold to other oil companies? It may take a year, but the price of Halliburton stock may be in for a serious adjustment - down.

And the original allegation of a conspiracy to cause the spill to make money cleaning it up - makes even less sense.

1. earnestshub profile image81
          earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very well reasoned Doug.

I feel it is likely Halliburton did shoddy work. That would be in keeping with their track record.

2. KFlippin profile image61
          KFlippinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, very well reasoned.  If you ignore the fact that you are inherently anti-Halliburton given your clear political leanings, and would add that if Halliburton were even 30% clearly suspected as at fault, we'd have listened to our Congressional boobs questioning Halliburton Exec's the past couple days, rather than BP's.

That said, it is very well-reasoned.  I am most concerned at your quick disavoyance of this being a spill caused by conspiracy - shame on me, I'd have thought you, and other rabid libs, would have jumped on that to spin for your benefit -- but, of course, it does not fit with your goals, stupid really.....but, the quick disavoyance of some deliberate action, from you and others...raises eyebrows just a bit.

1. alternate poet profile image68

You cannot ignore the fact that Halliburton DID install their own design of Blow-out failsafe to this rig - and it failed.  This is what happened and you can lean any way you like don't change it.

And your gov would be questioning a US Company about it - don't make me laugh, Halliburton has the US government in its pocket.

1. bgamall profile image66
              bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Halliburton has investments in the Caspian Sea. The Taliban went to Texas in 1997 and you can google it, in order to do a deal with Unocal to build a pipeline to the Caspian Sea.

Halliburton is evil and really the fact that the Taliban changed their minds is what caused US motivation to allow 911. I believe that the US government allowed 911.

However, Cheney has been quiet, and I do believe that the courts will judge whether Halliburton is culpable. So really, there is nothing Halliburton can do about it. But BP has final responsibility.

1. KFlippin profile image61

......" the US government allowed 911."  Okay. 

So, if you think that our federal government 'allowed 911', why would you not think that we actually instigated this oil spill, that we did in fact have gov't employees signing off.........  on a fiasco...of untold, unknown consequences.

1. bgamall profile image66
                  bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Could be, except I know how BP operates. My wife used to work for them. They have no clue what they are doing in so many issues of safety and employee relations. They have a buffoon of a CEO.

But if evidence came forth that this was some sort of conspiracy I would study it. As of now I don't think it is.

You seem to be implying that I said the "US government allowed 911" -- your speculative words -- NOT mine. That is an implied lie and farce of monumental proportions, the epitomy of a buffoon. 

No doubt you don't think the oil spill was a consipiracy -- to think that, you'd have to think it was a liberal conspiracy, as that is the only cause it would serve.

2. alternate poet profile image68

Yes BP has final responsibility and when the current political noise dies down the law will take its course and I guess the real causes of this will come out.

2. Doug Hughes profile image60
            Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If anyone can find any logic here, please translate to English.  Thank you.

smile  You are welcome.

2. alternate poet profile image68

I think it says -

You are a lefty leaning liberal spinning rabid libs and you dis people who say "ah voy!" while listening to your boobs.

3. Randy Godwin profile image60
            Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No surprise at your comments.  Just because you are a rabid hater of liberals it doesn't mean we must jump to ridiculous conclusions a la KFC!  Meaning using far fetched ideas to attack any chance one gets. 

I despise Haliburton but like the others here who have tried to put it into words even you would understand, this is not a logical scenario.  Look up logical!

3. Cattleprod Media profile image60
    Cattleprod Mediaposted 13 years ago

Why am I not surprised?

4. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

I agree Cheney is evil, and if Halliburton is in his pervue, then I don't put anything past them.
    But of course, they've got their legal "out"...they can just blame BP!
    But all this anger laid strictly on BP doesn't pass the smell test.
    Who knows, the BP employee who gave the ok to Haliburton may have been working for them/paid off by them.

Once again, the age old question....who benefits? Doesn't seem to be BP.

5. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Mike, you have the best forum post titles, so interesting and current events like... but every one of your posts is really a hub.  I always want to participate, but I don't come to the forums to read hubs.  I come to the forums to read, well, comments.  A pararaph.  Maybe two. Three if the writing is really awesome.  Every time I open a forum thread you started, it's an 800 word article minimum.  I bet you'd be making double or triple whatever you get from HP adsense if you wrote this stuff as a hub.  Even if you didn't get any comments.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)