So -- About This "Fan" Business

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (23 posts)
  1. profile image58
    C. Ramsdellposted 13 years ago

I've been on the site for a week (-ish), and have become fans of writers whose writing style I value, or point of view I think I could learn from... Etc. Didn't really find out until I braved the forums tonight that it's a traffic-promoting thing here.

Am I violating any unwritten rules by being a genuine fan? Some people seem touchy about it, and I'm curious if it's an actual "thing" or just a few people.

1. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Everyone has their own style and reasons and thoughts and beliefs and wants and needs and....

Just do what you want to do regarding fans & following. big_smile

2. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's definitely a traffic-promoting thing for some... or perhaps to be more accurate, an ego-promoting thing. "I'll follow you, not because I like your hubs or even read them, but because I want you to follow me back so that people will see how many followers I have and think I'm really popular and cool!!!!" 

Just carry on doing what you're doing (following/fanning people 'cos you actually LIKE their writing) and ignore all the crap that goes with the whole following thing.  Don't allow anyone's emotional blackmail - implied or explicit - to make you do otherwise.  Life is too short.

Put it this way, if there is such an unwritten rule, then it's such a stupid rule that you might as well ignore it.  See above.

It's just a few people.  The vast majority of HP members never even come to the forums, so that will give you an idea of the percentages.

1. raisingme profile image75
        raisingmeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like this!  Especially what you said about "emotional blackmail"!  Personally I follow others because I like their 'stuff'.   There is some major talent on HubPages.  Others I follow because their hubs are extremely helpful as I learn my way around.

1. profile image0
          EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is.  (There's some real dross too, but the talent does shine through.)  Actually, the thing I've noticed since joining HubPages is that when I read articles in the print media, I'm often struck by how boilerplate and unoriginal they are compared to some of the writing I read here on HP.

3. Winsome profile image81
      Winsomeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was pondering this whole idea answering a question from my first fan about where my followers came from and quoted How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying where the guy is encouraged to steal a brilliant idea from someone else. The hub became quite long and I realized that one succeeds on HP not by contrived short cuts but by "genuinely" liking the ones you follow and who follow you.
      I've observed more than participated in the forums, but I think, and it's only my opinion, that the forums are no different. If I like what I read here, it helps me write in return. Sometimes it's a love/hate thing with some ideas, but when you sincerely like the people you dialogue with, chances are good you will become followers of the people in the forums as well.

1. profile image58
        C. Ramsdellposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hear you on this. I've only actually published one hub thus far, but my computer desk is covered in... Counting... Thirty six index cards, all with ideas.

Actually, got the idea to use index cards from another hubber. Love this place.

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You found out the wrong information!

Some people treat following as a traffic-promoting thing.  Personally (as I just posted on another thread), I see the HubPages community as a place to be "off duty", not a place to do business.  If I fan someone, it's because I genuinely like their writing.  I don't follow a lot of people.

Don't feel under any pressure to play the following game. There are plenty of Hubbers who don't.

I advised him to do his own thing in regards to fans & following - I follow different people for different reasons and do not believe my information was wrong.

1. Cagsil profile image69
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do not think that Marissa was talking about individual people. She made reference to the fact that the OP and the perspective view of it, is based on wrong information. smile

oh, okay.  guess it's too soon for me to jump in.  thanks. smile

2. Susana S profile image93
    Susana Sposted 13 years ago

Most hubbers only follow people they are genuinely interested in reading, it's the minority that do it for promotion (though I don't think they get any tangible benefits from that approach).

3. profile image58
    C. Ramsdellposted 13 years ago

Good to know. I just didn't want the boot, big_smile.

1. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your reason for being a fan is the real reason, anything else is just a mercenary spin off.

4. andromida profile image56
    andromidaposted 13 years ago

I agree with Marisa.

5. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

I come onto the forums because I like the communication, not to look for followers.  In fact, I don't really look for followers, and I generally only follow people whose writing I admire. I do love having followers, but genuine ones as opposed to just trying to get as many as I can.

I just thought I would add that, of all my hubs, the one with the most comments, which is also the one that has found me the most new followers, is the one least read by search engines. I knew that would be the case, I wrote it just because I wanted to.  My most read hub has hardly any comments because the subject matter is not very interesting for other hubbers.

6. profile image0
    ericsomethingposted 13 years ago

Interesting points from all of y'all. I don't have a whole lot of followers, nor do I follow a whole bunch of people. It's like the folks I do follow are those I wouldn't mind sitting down with over a cup of coffee, real-time.

I don't stick with following folks who are just like me (if I did, I'd be one lonely Hubber!). One of my favorite folks on Hubpages describes himself as a "lunatic liberal ACLU atheist;" the only thing we have in common there is the lunatic part. But I digress.

Of course I'm always interested in getting new readers -- hey, that's an occupational disease when you're a writer -- but I'm not even thinking about that when deciding who to follow, or making my infrequent forum visits.

Oh, C. Ramsdell -- index cards rock! I never go anywhere without a pocketful of them.

1. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But at least we will always have that, Eric.   It may be a small thing, it may be something others would spurn, but it is ours and we own it and live it fully.

You are one of my favorite lunatics also :-)

7. CYBERSUPE profile image61
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

My thoughts are similar to those of Susan S and Marisa Wright. How in the world could one read all of your followers hubs? As a salesman I was always taught when with a potential costumer to remember KISS, translated means "Keep It Simple Stupid". Thanks so much Susan and Marisa, for giing of your time and talent. I certainly appreciate the help I get fromother Hubbers.,

8. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I made such a long winded answer  to this that I quit half way through and turned it into a hub.

Thank you for that bit of inspiration.

And don't follow me because I plainly have no idea where I am going,

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@ C. Ramsdell:  And PC's Hub is well worth reading, too, especially for a good chuckle. So's Winsome's. I think both will give you a lot of insight into fanning and following.

9. Good Guy profile image83
    Good Guyposted 13 years ago

I am not particular about "followers" although I do follow some.  I am more interested to have Google follow me!! You see it's their search engine that will bring real readers, and hopefully click the ads. (LOL)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)