What is real Happiness?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (58 posts)
  1. profile image52
    haj3396posted 13 years ago

sex, money, things, someone please tell me What is real happiness?

1. profile image0
      Kerry43posted 13 years agoin reply to this

having a clear conscience and no regrets....

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image80
      schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'll tell you but don't CRITISE me! This is MY OPINION:

Real happiness is peace of mind~feeling loved and loving in return.
      Not worrying about things (either from trust in God or some other security -though I'd go for God myself. [see how I don't stuff it down your throat? lol)
      I think it's family and love and being in nature
      for that is what we were made for (originally).

Now I want a hubnugget for that one :-) [or forumnugget ;-) lol

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

you said it....sex, money and things...need anymore help.

I'm sorry, I just can't take it seriously tonight!

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...and it's all about me 'baby'!

1. profile image52
        haj3396posted 13 years agoin reply to this

If happiness is all about me baby, then why are so many people that belive like you believe unhappy? Billion of people say it's all about me 'baby'! but, they are unhappy. someone help!!!!!!

...I still can't help!...i'm sticking to my story again this a.m.....maybe later...

3. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Happiness is not what you have, it's being glad for what you have.

1. profile image52

Billion of people are glad for what they have, but are not happy. please someone help!!!!!!

4. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I disagree Someway..

1) It's about money, sex and things (in that order)
    2) It's all about ME baby

okay....I was in a big hurry....yea 'cash is king' for sure, then sex and things.

But....I don't agree with the 2nd one

'cause it's all about ME Baby!....and don't you forget it!

2. profile image52

Then why do so many people kill themselves that have all what you have said. Help, help, help!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

because they want to make sure they die happy

1. pisean282311 profile image62
          pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

5. Ladybird33 profile image66
    Ladybird33posted 13 years ago

I will be serious smile  But it's what's inside of you...you are the only person that can make you happy.  Can't blame others...look within, are you a happy?  Money, sex, short term happiness

1. profile image52

Thank you a change is good, but what am I looking for inside me? help!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Love of oneself, all else is relative. smile

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Spot on Cags! Self worth is the essential ingredient for generosity of spirit.
      A person with real self worth has the capacity to love others and treat others well. smile

1. Rod Marsden profile image68
        Rod Marsdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Right Cagsil and earnest!

I would also go further and say that a person with self worth can also help others to obtain self worth.

Good teams are made up of team leaders who can make the members of his or her team feel valuable and needed. Loving others and treating them well is part of it. Giving them expectations to live up to and move forward with is also good mojo/juju.

Real happiness is having goals that can be fought for and realized. And then there is the rest period between bouts we all holidays.

2. profile image52

look at earnestshub kicking bass

1. earnestshub profile image81
          earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Kicking fish? lol lol lol
          What could that possibly mean???
          lol

2. profile image52

What!!!!!!!!!!!! I am still lost

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I take it you don't love yourself. Which is understandable why you would be lost.

Once you learn to love yourself, happiness can be found in almost everything you do, because your outlook is always positive, even when negative things happen.

That means, as negative things happen to you during your life, your ability to love yourself strengthens your ability to have faith in yourself and your abilities. Thus, you can overcome any problem/obstacle/limitation set upon you either by others or yourself.

This way, regardless of what happens, you can always be happy because you are happy with yourself.

Does that help? wink big_smile

1. fucsia profile image60
          fucsiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Love ourselves is the foundation for happiness. Love ourself means also to be indipendent: our happiness does not depend on what happens outside of us, but borns within us. I  am happy. And my happiness is not a sudden emotion, but a state of wellness and serenity that makes me feel rich.

7. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Happiness is understanding your life. smile

1. profile image52

What do you mean understanding you life? weather I am black , or white, man or woman, jew , or greek, what do you mean? help

2. Rod Marsden profile image68

Whatever you look like and whatever religion you were born into or country you were born into the fact remains that you are you and you have certain qualities. Once you understand yourself including your background then you are free to pick a direction to go in and are also free to be happy with your lot.

8. aefrancisco profile image60
    aefranciscoposted 13 years ago

Happiness - it is from within.

1. profile image52

from within what and when it come out how do it look so I can say this is happiness. Is there anyone out there that can tell me what happiness is?Help.

9. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Happiness is dependant on brain chemistry being in balance too. smile

1. profile image52

How do I identify when brain chemistry is in balance and when it's in balance how do happiness look?

It looks like this,,,

http://ndn3.newsweek.com/media/25/71014_MoneyHappiness_vl-vertical.jpg

..yup...that's how I started my day today....gotta go and make some more dough!....happy....happy.....

2. pylos26 profile image71
      pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yea Earnest...some may need to adjust their dose of prozac.

10. kess profile image59
    kessposted 13 years ago

To live for anything or everything and still DIE  is foolish and it is the fake "life" of death.

So true happiness comes when one begins to live that life that is beyond death.

and nothing that person does is worthless neither will it perish.

there is one true Life.

1. profile image52

Have you ever lived beyond death, then how can you identify true happiness, and if you can go beyond live what do true happiness look like?

1. pisean282311 profile image62
        pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

what is ur point dude?

1. profile image52

is this question so hard, what is true happiness? some say money,other sex, still other things, then some say all the above, some say if you at the point and it make you happy,some say sleeping with men, so what is true happiness?

All of the above haj old chum. You still don't get it? True happiness is very much an individual thing. What creates happiness in abundance for one person has no affect on another person. It is okay to be an individual. Find happiness your way. True happiness is picking a direction to go in that thoroughly suits YOU.  So good luck with it old boy.

11. Disturbia profile image62
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

This is all way too philosophical for me to wrap my small brain around.  How can one define happiness or identify its sources? 

Happiness is a state of mind and is entirely subjective. What brings one pleasure and joy makes one happy and that is not the same thing for everyone.

Real happiness to me is what I'm feeling right now this very moment, sitting here in my sunroom on this beautiful summer morning, having my coffee, and watching my grandson and my two yorkies chasing each other around in the back yard.

1. profile image52

So you are not saying what true happiness is, you are saying happiness is different for everyone, that we can not identify true happiness. you could be right, but I am hoping you are wrong. So body out there know what true happiness is? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disturbia is 100 per cent right and there is nothing wrong with true happiness being different for different people. We are not all caste in the same mold so why should true happiness be the same for us all?

Sounds like Disturbia is on the right ticket for Disturbia and that is fine with me.

12. leeberttea profile image56
    leebertteaposted 13 years ago

Happiness is the absence of sadness, it's a temporary state of mind that precedes sadness. This state of mind is all relative and requires comparison to past life experiences to determine your current state. This state of mind can change depending on the term of the period of your comparisons. If you compare your state of mind in this instant with the instant prior you may find no difference, is this happiness? It may be depending on your experience in that instant before. Going back further in time perhaps a day, or a week, a month, or even years could all produce a different result depending on the memories of the experiences you call to mind.
    The thing about happiness is, it's in your power to control it, to call to mind the memories and experiences where you experienced the most joy and to make those current. Happiness is a state of mind to be pursued not a permanent condition in which one resides. May you pursue it with vigor always.

1. profile image52

Thats beautiful, but, something is missing, I have been trying to  control my life all my life and have trashed it. Please do not tell me I have to control my happiness, then I am in trouble. Tell me someone else have to control my life, some greater than me and my happiness comes only from them. Someone please help me!!!!!!!!!!

1. leeberttea profile image56
        leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nope it's all up to you. You can't control everything that happens to you in life, but you can control how you react to what happens to you. Bad things happen to everybody, even good people, learn from them, search for the positive and grow, do not direct anger at others, do not look to find fault, forgive and move forward. Do good, be good, smile, project joy and it will be returned to you. It's all up to you.

1. profile image52

I do these things but my father die,my friends die and bad things still happen. If it's all up to me then why is my father dead. I done want him to be dead, what up?

Be happy that you knew your farther. Be happy in the memory of who he was and what he was like. In this way you can control your sadness and your happiness. Everyone loses family and friends. We are not immortal.

Sure, bad things happen but good things also happen. Sometimes when I joke with a shop person and lighten their day I feel better about my own. I may have changed someone's day for the better and really I have done very little. Make good things happen to people and they may well do the same for you. Make a woman laugh and next time you see her she might try to make you laugh. And so it goes...

I cherish my family and friends while I have them then carry the memory of them with me always. In this way I can be happy most of the time.

13. tonks21 profile image60
    tonks21posted 13 years ago

happiness is being surrounded by people that you love and doing something that you love!

i would feel uncomfortable being surrounded by people I love while doing some on the things that I love to some of the other people I love

2. profile image52

Thank you, you told me what happiness is, but is that all to it? surrounded by people you love and something you love. But sometime they don't seem so happy. Now if this is true happiness why are they so sad, and why am I so sad sometime when I am around them?

3. Rod Marsden profile image68

Well put Tonks!

Mystifying there Greek One but to each his or her own.

haj old boy take a positive step forward. You look at ways you can make someone else happy for even five seconds and they may well start to look for ways to make you happy. Don't sit back and expect happiness to come to you. Believe me it just won't happen.

14. TruthDebater profile image54
    TruthDebaterposted 13 years ago

I think happiness is the positive emotions from thoughts or actions. If a person can control their thoughts and actions, they should be able to determine their happiness or lack of.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When you enjoy the moment to the fulliest and want it to last forever.

1. Dave Barnett profile image57
        Dave Barnettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

True happiness is found within. One must know oneself and understand that we all are human beings, and be pleased with our situation. We actually need very little to be happy, and usually has little to do with material things. Dissatisfaction with ourselves or our situation leads to unhappiness in the heart, but isn't always connected to being truly happy. I think that the amount of unhappiness we cause others in our own quest for happiness is directly proportional. It all depends on the depth of your soul.

2. profile image52

so all I have to do is control my thoughts and emotions and I will have true happiness. When you control your thoughts and emotions what did true happiness look like?

1. TruthDebater profile image54
        TruthDebaterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. Whatever you decide for you thoughts to make it look like. That is the point. You determine what happiness is, not others thoughts unless you let them. To me, it looks like empowerment and freedom when not reliant on others to determine whether you are happy or unhappy.

15. selfbetter profile image60
    selfbetterposted 13 years ago

A lot of good answers here. Let me add this: a lot of people mistake happiness for pleasure or satisfaction. The difference between the two is that happiness is lasting while pleasure is short lived.

For example: kissing your girl/boyfriend is fun, but loving her and being loved by her is happiness.

In the Bible there is a story about Esau who got home really hungry. His brother Jacob offered him food on the condition that Esau grands him his birthright (one of the most precious things one could have). Surprisingly Esau agreed and exchanged his lasting happiness for short lived satisfaction.

Another way to distinguish between the two is that pleasure/satisfaction is really easy and usually doesn't cost anything. Happiness, on the other hand is not easy to get. It's available to everyone but you have to work for it. For example: It's easy to get offended at your friend or say something mean to him, but it's much harder to nourish your relationship, because you have to swallow your pride sometimes, forgive (usually not easy), etc.

1. profile image52

I like that selfbetter, But, I think I have found  true happiness, i was looking at babies and children to a certain age and they brought joy to me to see them happy no matter what the situation. Babies that was dyeing, would stop and smile at you, the same smile when they was not dyeing. I can not understand what's going on in these children, but I can see this is real and true happiness, because no matter what the situation the child can smile, that give you joy. A baby can not swallow up their pride, look inside of them are do all the things that people said that bring real happiness. But, I thank they have it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)